The first free HD VOD offering!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enragedalbinoyak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
All of us who've been using Directv on demand have HD. Obviously. It's the only way to do it. Because of that, we've all been wondering, why isn't there any HD on DTV-OD?
Honestly.
If I didn't care about HD, I'd have bought a regular DVR. I could have gotten it for free.
But I digress.
I just started downloading what I believe to be the first free offering of directv on demand in HD. Project my world episode #202. The picture is perfect, everything you come to expect from HD, and although it's not a good omen for offerings to come, I'm kinda glad the sound doesn't work, because I have no interest in watching this crap, and I'm just seeing how long of lead-in time I'll have to give future interesting HD VOD offerings.

Impressively enough, it appears to be streaming along at almost the same pace as I can watch it.

Is this a sign of good things to come? Or a fluke?

downloading now and started to waich it ..but I have no sound

I think DOD is still in a testing stage. I'm sure it will get better.
Well, obviously, that's why it's called "beta." I'm just pointing out that we've all been waiting with bated breath for any improvement to the VOD system, especially in the HD thing. This is obviously an improvement, even though nobody seems to get any sound with it...

Has anyone bought one of the PPV things in HD? Does the sound work with those things?

When they first rolled out the DOD, there were two HD shows listed. I can't remember the titles, but one was about Japanese culture and one was about the Painted Desert...or something like that. The picture and audio back then was good. Just limited content...Since the audio was working back in November/December when the beta DOD launched, I am guessing that the audio issues with Project My World is probably related just to that posted program.

Here's to (slow) progress! Maybe in the near future we will get a bevy of HD options. But until then, I am as happy as a pig in slop with the amount of "live" HD content so I am not "missing" the DOD HD.

a few weeks ago channel 1001 appeared---mpeg4 test channel. downloaded ratatouille for free. no problems at all. tried to get chuck and larry but channel vanished:(

I just hope that "beta" is the key word here. If this is Direct's answer to Comcast's demand package-it's embarassing. I have friends that have Comcast, and they have a ton of free movies(not what is already playing on your other channels-extra), actual major sports games, etc. So for those of you that can't get it to work yet-your truly not missing anything at all. One more thing. Besides the movies you have to pay for-the movies you get, are what you already have, as far as movie channels. In other words, just use your TIVO, at least it will be in HD.

I gave Project My World a try also. I just picked a random episode and it didn't have sound either.

The kids like the Toon, Boom and Nick offerings and I've found a few interesting things there as well. It could be better, especially for HD, but it's an added bonus since I didn't know about it when I ordered DTV. DTV has a bit more of a challenge compared to Comcast since they don't have control over the customer's Internet connection.

DTV has a bit more of a challenge compared to Comcast since they don't have control over the customer's Internet connection.

Comcast delivers them over the cable system, not the Internet connection. They offer more of the content because it is all local delivery.

I used to have on demand, and don't get me wrong, it was nice, but it's not the core of a TV system. The reason that D* is gaining in popularity is because of it's incredible lineup of HD channels, not because of the possibility of on demand.

Also, all I hear you complaining about it the lack of content, and that's to be expected at this stage in the game. One day DoD will have more stuff on it, in HD and otherwise, and until then I still have an awesome 2-tuner HD-DVR connected to the most impressive lineup of HD channels ever offered by man. I wouldn't trade that for on demand even if it comcast wasn't way more expensive.

Count your blessings. Once D11 hits the skies there will be nothing standing in our way.

Well, obviously, that's why it's called "beta." I'm just pointing out that we've all been waiting with bated breath for any improvement to the VOD system, especially in the HD thing. This is obviously an improvement, even though nobody seems to get any sound with it...

Has anyone bought one of the PPV things in HD? Does the sound work with those things?
Bought Michael Clayton HD the other day and sound was great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)