Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zimmy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
It's called The Midwest
Hello,

I'm Tim from SRL. I would like to clear up some confusion and share some information. At the end of the year there will be some big changes. There are still a lot of unanswered questions and when we have the answers we will share them.

Skyvision & Motorola have worked very hard and have tested 4DTV receivers (DSR-920 & DSR-922) to be able to receive the DSR-410 authorization stream via HITS on satellite W5. Customers will have to make some modifications to their 4DTV receiver for it to act/mimic the DSR-410 receiver. What that entails we do not know just yet. We want to make it as easy as possible for the customer to do when the time comes at the end of the year.

We have no agenda; we always have and always will be committed to the C-Band industry. We are a small company; we do what we can within reason. When customers call us we share the information that we believe to be true. In this industry things change quite a bit, we roll with the changes.

At the end of the year the big dish isn't going to end. It will continue, however we will be limited to the programming that is available on W5. A lot of customers have shared their relief, as they do not like the alternatives.

If you have any questions please ask.

Regards,

Tim

Satellite Receivers LTD.

www.programming-center.net

Tim,

Thank you for coming to SatelliteGuys to keep us updated. I have a question for you. Is there any chance that a-la-carte will still be available on W5 after December 31? I am currently an MTV Mini-Pak subscriber, which gets me Nick Jr and VH1 Classic. Those 2 channels account for 80% of my C-Band viewing. I looked at Skyvision's site and according to what I see in their packages for the 410, I would have to pay $37.89 per month to get VH1 Classic. I am willing to pay my current price of $7.99 per month, but would not entertain the idea of paying $37.89/month to keep those channels.

Skyvision's packages here -> Skyvision Satellite Equipment

Hi,

I'm not sure what Skyvision is going to do with their packaging in 2011. They build the packages and we just sell them on their behalf. I do believe SRL is going to have similar packages that are currently available on the W5 satellite.

Regards,

Tim

Davage, Mike said on Sat Talk that at this point there are contracts that have to be signed so nothing is etched in stone at this time. The only thing that is etched in stone is the 4DTV will be used next year for W5 programming despite what NPS says in the fictitious letter they are sending out now.
:welcome Tim to Satellite Guys it's good to have SRL posting the truth up here :up

I do believe SRL is going to have similar packages that are currently available on the W5 satellite.
Tim

I really like the W5 packages that SRL has. I occasionally will impulse buy small packages of channels for a month at a time. If similar W5 packages will be available after December 31, I will continue my subscriptions with SRL :)

I am a happy SRL customer.

Last edited:
i hope they are able to put the mini scripps package on w5 ill be one for sure that will buy 2 packages since i already have the discovery channels

I wish SRL the best of luck with the future of the 4DTV, Realistically I think that adding more channels will not happen at least in the short run. In the long run it may be possible. There will have to be support in numbers to make things move forward. Anyone toying with leaving 4D try to stick around and keep something active (this will be much easier with small packs and alacarte) Every number counted is a plus. We are more or less starting over with Comcast and if they see its worth wild because of numbers they will be more apt to do things.

Question about the programming

I looked at the SRL site, at all the packages of channels, but there are no news channels. Why is that? Do all the "news" channels refuse to allow access to their signals using the 410, 922 or anything else other than little-dish providers or cable? Access to current news was the biggest reason I got into satellite tv over 20 yrs ago. They surely would have more customers if they could provide some news channels. Would writing letters to the news channels get us anywhere?

I looked at the SRL site, at all the packages of channels, but there are no news channels. Why is that? Do all the "news" channels refuse to allow access to their signals using the 410, 922 or anything else other than little-dish providers or cable? Access to current news was the biggest reason I got into satellite tv over 20 yrs ago. They surely would have more customers if they could provide some news channels. Would writing letters to the news channels get us anywhere?
Good point. I think to round out W5 nicely, they should add CNN, MSNBC, and FOX News. Having all 3 of them would keep everybody happy. :)

CNN, MSNBC, Fox News and a whole lot of other channels are on SES 1 in DCII combo mode. These channels can't be received by 4dtv's or 410's.

Bottom line is this. Right now we can only receive the W5 channels using the older type scrambling with the 4dtv. We can't do Combo (megapipe) which HITS uses on the other birds. Unless Comcast turns around some signals on W5 with or without SRL/Skyvision paying nothing will be added to the 4DTV lineup.

SRL still does the were tagging along for the ride of their cable feed's. Our biggest problem of not moving forward is the old technology receiver. I think Comcast would sell us all their programming if the technology were available to us.

The way we need to progress with the current 4DTV's that we have is Give SRL/Skyvision a chance to see what happens. I know some have to have there news fix now but this I have to have it fast pressure is what buried NPS. It got them too deep in the hole financially trying to turn around so many channels on G3. The costs plus poor picture quality from over compression killed it all. Do we want history to repeat itself? I say no, accept what we can get still for now. If there is enough support maybe things will change. If you have to get that specific Cable news channel I suggest looking into DirecTv or Cable for now. Forget Dish Network their just plain evil.

I would have thought I'd be the last one to have gotten a pizza dish, but finally bit with Direct 2 months ago. (everything going dead 12/31 at that time broke the camels back) So far the only problem I have is rain fade with heavy downpours. All my Ku goes out FTA, Shaw etc. Actually Direct hangs in there longer than my FTA does. Besides that DirecTv just works, and the channels I want are there all the time. No worrying about it going away. I still support the Bud and have programming. At this point it is the smartest solution I can think of to run both. If SRL can get things moving forward again and access to the channels I want Direct will be a memory. I love C band but also am looking at things realistically.

Last edited:
4dtv

I am not in a panic mode been without before. will ride it out on the BUD and not give pizza dish guys my business as for cable dug up wire and ripped it off property. I have been harassed for years by the local cable guys on different issues act like they own tv in my community. If all else fails have FTA and OTA ... "GAME GOES ON !:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts