The HD is Dying on my HR54 (engineering test model).

alnielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Cutting Edge
The hard drive is dying on my HR54. This is a pre-release engineering test model I don't believe is a lease unit. It's been giving me notifications of issues for some time, then it would just continue working. A simple reset didn't work. I had to disconnect the power for 12 hours to get it back to normal operation. Is there a menu option to format the drive? Does the drive have a SATA interface like current ones? If I remember right, you can just install a new drive and the reciever will take over and make it ready for use.

If you install a new drive it will auto-format and be up and running just fine. I'd recommend a WD Blue 1TB SSD, currently less than $50 on Amazon and widely available. Receiver will operate slightly faster, and the drive should last 5-10 years with no issue. No moving parts in the SSD may increase reliability and reduce heat.

Pickup one of these to hold the smaller drive in the 3.5 inch bay:
SSD HDD Holder 2.5 to 3.5 Mounting Bracket Hard Drive Adapter (2 Pack) (Black)

Reactions: Stuart Sweet
Update: Cold Shutdown of the receiver seem to have done something. I don't get the errors any longer. I do have a couple 1TB SSD's at work. They were removed when a group of client's wanted 2TB's in their Precision laptops. So, I have that to go to if the errors show up again.

Update: Cold Shutdown of the receiver seem to have done something. I don't get the errors any longer. I do have a couple 1TB SSD's at work. They were removed when a group of client's wanted 2TB's in their Precision laptops. So, I have that to go to if the errors show up again.
Curious ....
What is a "Cold Shutdown" ???

Reactions: AkaDoubleG
With the drive being powered down, it may have assigned alternate tracks for the failing ones. I have a similar age pre-release HR54. After a few years, I installed a 2TB Western Digital Red drive, deigned for constant video surveillance use. So far, it seems immortal.

I too have a pre-release HR54-200 (June 2015). It's received dozens of CE software and National release software updates and is running on it's original hard drive. As Tom put it, it seems immortal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts