The hopper quick question

Bradp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I must be looking in the wrong location because I can't find this. I have dish coming to install the hopper in two days and I want to be prepared. I am a new install and I want to know will they need to run multiple coax cables to each room or just the one with the hopper? And if so how many cables? I have a total of 3 tvs getting connected.

Thanks in advance.

I must be looking in the wrong location because I can't find this. I have dish coming to install the hopper in two days and I want to be prepared. I am a new install and I want to know will they need to run multiple coax cables to each room or just the one with the hopper? And if so how many cables? I have a total of 3 tvs getting connected.

Thanks in advance.

One coax per room.

I thought you didn't need a separate line for OTA. Won't the OTA on the hopper work with a single line?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Ota will work on the Hopper and Joeys connected to it. I have one line coming in to my living room and one line to each Joey room. I don't have a big fancy ota like some, but instead I have my ota module installed and a stripped piece of coax connected to the ota tuner and it works great. My antenna just hangs behind the TV out of sight. So depending on your antenna type, you may need one or two lines run into the hopper room.

Ok had my dish installed today. Install went quick and the guy was awesome. He worked for dish and was not a contractor. Great experience the hopper is best piece of hardware yet.

Seems to be some confusion here.

No OTA = 1 line per room. Hopper needs RG-6, preferably swept to 3GHz, however many 2.4GHz lines can handle it with ease. Joeys can use RG-59 however in my personal opinion RG-6 would be better.

If you want OTA from an outdoor antenna, you will have to run a separate line. Diplexing OTA will kill the MoCA. You can NOT share the same cable with OTA with either the Hopper or the Joey. Once again it will kill the MoCA. Also, the Diplexers are not rated for the 3GHz required on the Hopper line.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

One coax per room.

Two if you want OTA.

No. Two to the hopper and one to each joey room.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please refrain from answering. 1 cable to the Hopper.

If you follow the series of quotes above, you'll see that he was referring to the need for two cables to the Hopper if you want OTA. So, his statement was indeed correct. The Hopper (with an OTA module) would be the only room needing two cables.

3HaloODST's description covers both situations best.

There have been reports that using an isolator deliberately to kill the moca, and then conventional diplexers, works to put OTA on the same single cable as a Hopper or Joey. (Obviously you would send the Joey signal over your LAN instead of coax.) IMHO there should be a moca trap or better yet a software-configurable moca free mode, to facilitate this configuration.

There have been reports that using an isolator deliberately to kill the moca, and then conventional diplexers, works to put OTA on the same single cable as a Hopper or Joey. (Obviously you would send the Joey signal over your LAN instead of coax.) IMHO there should be a moca trap or better yet a software-configurable moca free mode, to facilitate this configuration.

I'm not sure how that would work. The isolator would block the OTA signal as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts