The Latest in Computer News

Well, got Win 10 build 10041 downloaded today and just got through installing it a short time ago. I'm using it now to make this post so that's a good sign I guess. Oh, and the boot sector overwrite problem on my other drives I experienced with build 9926 appears to be gone with 10041.

This version offers two ways to install. One is the usual "clean install", ie, Windows wipes out any info that's currently on the drive then installs Windows. The second type of install offered is "Upgrade", ie, this one SAVES AND REINSTALLS ALL YOUR EXISTING SOFTWARE. NO FILES ARE DELETED AS IT JUST BASICALLY CHANGES THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

For this install I chose to go the "Upgrade" route to 1. See if it works and 2. I'm lazy and I didn't want to have to reinstall all the crap I put on that old 9926 build and 3. The Upgrade install working correctly is especially important for those who may want the FREE upgrade that will be offered to those with current Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems. So it took it about an hour and a half to do the upgrade on this system, which is a Xeon 3.16 Quad Core CPU with 8GB of DDR3 memory so there was a lot going on for it to take that long on this system. Since this is basically a one time deal the time is kinda irrelevant though as long as it all works afterwards.

Some of the software that was on here to begin with will need some slight "tweaks" to get back up to speed but I haven't found anything yet that doesn't work at all and NONE of my existing data is missing.

So for now Windows 10 looks like a keeper. If I run into any major problems I'll report back here.

Reactions: Bruuce
Well, got Win 10 build 10041 downloaded today and just got through installing it a short time ago. I'm using it now to make this post so that's a good sign I guess. Oh, and the boot sector overwrite problem on my other drives I experienced with build 9926 appears to be gone with 10041.

Update and clarification on this.

Initially I thought the boot sector was getting screwed up but that's not the case. What was happening was Win 10 was setting a "dirty flag" on ALL those drives requiring them to run check disk on each one before boot up. I finally found a fix for this problem on the Microsoft "Insider" forum and here's a link to that thread FYI.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-flag-on/12d4a272-9778-46e0-ac1e-97ea868e98a0

Ennywho, I'm running Win 10 successfully on both my multi-boot systems now.

Reactions: TheKrell
Patch for Windows 7 and 8 will notify users to upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.neowin.net/news/patch-for-windows-7-and-8-will-notify-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10

I think this is a mistake. MicroUSB is for phones. I believe a connector should be able to support the dead weight of the device it is built into. If it cannot, it should break away without damaging either side.

Actually, MicroUSB charging port was number one most requested feature for Surface from what I've read.
People just don't like carrying extra proprietary chargers around and Micro USB is currently the World standard whether we like it or not.
Hopefully to be replaced with USB 3 Type C in the near future.