The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

I just swapped carriers, now C Spire has announced they are getting the Iphone 4 S in a couple of weeks. lol. Talk about timing. lol

I know this feature is NOT 4S specific , but been around since 4, but the Retina screen on this device continues to amaze me. Every time I turn the thing on the icons are so crisp they look like they are hand-drawn, like its a painting or screen shot, not a live user interface. Its a piece of art. I have never seen a LCD screen come close to this.

That same quality alone would be enough to get me to upgrade to an iPad 3.

Yeah, looking forward to seeing how the Droid Prime screen compares to my wife's iPhone 4.

I love the competition between Android and iOS. :)

If Google would just fix how updates are handled Android would be so much better.

This one is for Todd.

butterIsGoodForYou.jpg

:D

Can't compare with earlier phones, but I am pleased with the battery life, no screen issues, no issues on Verizon, and the camera is incredible. Obviously, when you sell 4-5million phones, there are going to be some problems, but it felt like they were reaching looking for things to complain about. And I am not surprised there will be some global issues with Siri, or with the AI being able to easily interpret all accents and dialects, never mind other languages.

I just finished watching the MacBreak Weekly from the TWiT network. They had a good discussion about the camera and how battery life with iOS 5 may be slightly less than previous versions. The panel seemed to think it was either "Find my iPhone" hitting the GPS or the iCloud sync running in the background.

They had a tip about enabling "Custom Vibrations" in the Accessibility Settings, then going into Sound settings and create a custom vibe. You can tap out on the screen a special pattern of vibrations and give it a name. Then, in Contacts, you can assign the special vibration to that person so when you get called/texted/FaceTimed, you can tell who it is by their custom vibe.

And, of course, more fun with Siri. The general consensus was that Apple would bring Siri to the iPad 2, and the only reason they wouldn't bring it to existing iPhone 4 users would be the need for the dual-core A5 ARM processor. They thought an iPod using the A5 might be coming eventually.

An interesting review from The Daily: It?s got guts - WWW.THEDAILY.COM

I think if the tech in this phone was in a different case, the haters would be jumping for joy. The hate is very much misplaced. And the thing that is SO compelling to me is how fast and well optimized the device is running on a mere 512MB of ram. Android devices have to have 1GB of ram to deal with the unoptimized nature of the OS AND the constant threat of CHANGES to it from google itself.

Gizmodo had a great piece on this aspect: Why the iPhone 4S Only Has 512MB of RAM

Yes Apple should not get in the habit of complacency and reactionary moves, but the truth is that their hardware is not middling. Android handset makers need the hardware muscle—a gig of memory is standard issue these days for a top-tier Android phone—because Android is not optimized around a narrow slice of hardware like iOS. They have no idea when Google will push new features and what it will do to their devices. They can only rely on raw power to futureproof their devices. Those Android devices need that gig of RAM as a defensive maneuver. For Apple, it would be an unnecessary luxury.

It would have been nice for Apple to include 1GB of RAM for futureproofing though.
but then you may not buy the newest version
they will include as little as possible
theres no reason they couldnt have done lte this go around
now next summer when they do lte they will sell just as many

I've been pretty content with the 4S so far. The biggest wow factor to me is the screen resolution and battery life. The EVO didn't have AMOLED or anything close to Retina.

I'm even inpressed with how quickly the phone boots or reboots up. The EVO was a good 2-3 minutes before it was remotely ready to go, and in the last few months it would be close to 5 minutes before it came back up.

Preordered mine from AT&T at one of there corporate owned stores on 10/7. Order STILL stays "In Process". Waiting.

Preordered mine from AT&T at one of there corporate owned stores on 10/7. Order STILL stays "In Process". Waiting.

We preordered with Verizon on the 7th and because the rep on the phone waited until the 12th to process the preorder we were told our delivery date would be the 28th. Fortunately the store had plenty of them on the 14th. Do any of your local AT&T stores by chance have any left?

Stopped off in the same store. Was told I was "in the queue" and couldn't do any better. As soon as they come in, they go out, he says... Meanwhile, the store was out of stock of all models as well. I don't know if they are trickling a few out to the stores to grab the impulse buyers and are letting those of us who already ordered them to sit and spin as they figure we aren't going anywhere. Meanwhile, ever since the latest software "upgrade" my 3G is constantly freezing up. One way to create demand (mine is 2 years old.... I bought the year old model in 2009 as the 3GS was out of stock and liked only paying $99 at the time... I regret it now... Apple's planned obsolescence has proved to me that you have to have the latest and greatest with them or apps will stop working within 1 year)

It would have been nice for Apple to include 1GB of RAM for futureproofing though.

You are thinking like Android. It probably would never need it. AND why spend all that money on ram that isn't needed (we are talking millions and millions of phones here), instead of putting it into R&D. I have NO Doubt that the phone will be fine until my contract runs out in 2 years.

You are thinking like Android. It probably would never need it. AND why spend all that money on ram that isn't needed (we are talking millions and millions of phones here), instead of putting it into R&D. I have NO Doubt that the phone will be fine until my contract runs out in 2 years.
but ram is cheap
heck even storage is cheap
it doesnt cost what they charge to go from 8gb to 16gb, or 16 to 32, or 32 to 64
this is my issue with no sd cards, sd cards are a cheaper way to allow people to have the capacity they want

but ram is cheap
heck even storage is cheap
it doesnt cost what they charge to go from 8gb to 16gb, or 16 to 32, or 32 to 64
this is my issue with no sd cards, sd cards are a cheaper way to allow people to have the capacity they want

But why spend the extra if it doesn't need it. I think the argument in the Gizmodo piece is sound. And yes, cheap for each phone, but we're talking in the millions. Smart business decision. In the aggregate, its a LOT of money for something that is superfluous. I look at memory usage on my iPhone and even when I am running a bunch of apps, there is always free/inactive memory.

While I liked having an SD Card, lets also remember those darn things are pretty fragile. I completely toasted mine just by using the buggy camera in the OG Droid. Poof! Card is gone. 100s of photos gone. Game Over. Play Again? (With a new card).

Like it or not, that isn't the Apple way; but it works so well, I am not even concerned about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts