The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Directv Now is changing their channel packages. All new customers will be getting HBO for free, whether they want it or not. The minimum package will now be $50 a month, and there is no package available without "free" HBO.

Surprised Dish is promoting hbonow on the slate. Just giving your a-hole competitor free advertisement. Seems like they did give up but why the free advertisement?? Charlie works in mysterious ways.

Directv Now is changing their channel packages. All new customers will be getting HBO for free, whether they want it or not. The minimum package will now be $50 a month, and there is no package available without "free" HBO.
So, it would seem that Directv Now is also subject to the minimum number of subscribers requirement, and/or ATT is transitioning HBO into a "basic" cable channel that is included in all packages, in order to get more subscribers for HBO.

I suppose to maintain the illusion that these channels may someday return. When these go away it will be absolute confirmation HBO/Cinemax is gone permanently.

Odd, these do not show up in my guide, although 302 is now Netflix. Is that new?

So all customers will have to pay the cost of HBO in every minimum pack. Sounds like what Directv did when they hid some of the cost of the NFL Sunday ticket in all their basic packs.

So all customers will have to pay the cost of HBO in every minimum pack. Sounds like what Directv did when they hid some of the cost of the NFL Sunday ticket in all their basic packs.
It's kind of smart on their part. They are just doing what ESPN has been doing to (or for) consumers for the last twenty years. Putting ESPN in practically all packages, making people pay for the channels whether they watch them or not.

So that is why Dish did away with the Audit Team. ;)

Yea, what a bunch or morons.

I’ll never forget When I was making good money with Dish I had an apartment I was renting for my girlfriend.

I setup a Dish account there and was paying $150/mo for the everything pack.

Since she was moving at the time and we didn’t have the address yet, I wanted to hurry up and get paid for my own sale. So I used my mailbox address at the UPS store.

I only had 1 receiver on that account, I had (6) 722’s on my account at my house, plus about a dozen 722’s on dealer demo accounts.

They call and do an audit on my home account, which I pass without a problem.

Then the next day they audit the account I setup at my girlfriends house in my name with 1 receiver.

She is calling me Bitching up a storm, so I call Dish to turn it back on since it’s 1 Tv and ask if I can do an audit in a few days.

No, they got notes plastered all over the account saying not to turn it back on.

Finally get someone to call me back, and agree to do the audit. I explained the situation with the address, got it corrected and was good to go.

A few days later, no Tv again.

So I call the audit department and this time they tell me I can’t have 2 accounts.

They closed the account and waived the cancellation fees since they where the ones to close it.

Went to my office, grabbed a dealer demo showroom account and took it over to her apartment.

Saved me $125/mo

I could have done that to begin with, but tried doing the right thing and paying for my Tv but was denied.

I read on another site that AT&T really wants more money out of HBO. One of the CEO's at HBO asked, why? We are making a good profit. AT&T said "Not enough"...It means that unless you get it through Direct/AT&T they may be putting the screws to everyone else. Right now I have HBO Stream for $15 a month. It is barely worth that. If it wasn't for the On Demand content and Real Time, I doubt I would keep it. If it goes up, I'll drop it. Real Time does have a free audio podcast and often at least parts of it ends up on You Tube. We will see where this goes. HBO is already the most expensive Premium out there, unless you get it free from Direct/AT&T. They are really putting the screws to Dish. Is cable next?

Yep, that is why Direct TV is so high. They do not let the customer choose. I see more people leaving Direct for Dish or Cord Cutting. Amazon Prime is a real bargain. So is Epix with their vault of old movies. Many I have never seen.

Yea, what a bunch or morons...
I hear ya.

I had to go through something similar when I had two Dish accounts, with only one receiver on each account. I got them to let me keep both accounts, but they got confused about which address (and which locals) I wanted on each account, so I had to get that straightened out. This was in 2012. What year was it when they gave you that hassle? Maybe their policy had changed in the meantime.

OK. Throwing out something to see if anyone has an answer/opinion.

I have the new Amazon 4K Firestick and when I opened it last night there was a promo for HBO. It's a $10 credit from Amazon for signing up to HBO but it gives two options. One is sign up through Amazon Prime, the other is to get the HBO Now app (from the stick).

What is the difference and which one is preferable?

I remember when getting my first Fire TV box, Amazon apparently had a deal with HBO where almost all their older series (Sopranos, Deadwood, ROME, Carnivàle etc.) were free through the regular Amazon Prime selection, but no current HBO shows. I also had the HBO GO app when I subbed HBO through Dish.

Now, one guess I have is that HBO NOW would be like Dish Anywhere in that I could watch it on all types of devices. But since I am heavy in the Amazon environment, my devices are all Fire Tablets and I would never try to watch anything on a phone (I'm an old fart), so that feature does not sway me.

But I also worry that the "Amazon Prime" version would not be full access "regular" HBO. (maybe just an "On Demand" selection the following day etc.) On the other hand, I never did like the HBO GO app as the audio was lousy.

Anyone know the difference and/or has an opinion about which way to go. (The promo ends March 15)

I moved from HBO Now to getting HBO through Amazon Prime (using my Roku Ultra.) Just for the simplicity of the integration, e.g. if I'm watching Jack Ryan or Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime we can then watch GOT or Barry without having to exit Prime and log back into HBO Now. From what I've seen so far, no difference.

I moved from HBO Now to getting HBO through Amazon Prime (using my Roku Ultra.) Just for the simplicity of the integration, e.g. if I'm watching Jack Ryan or Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime we can then watch GOT or Barry without having to exit Prime and log back into HBO Now. From what I've seen so far, no difference.
Thanks. I will click on the Amazon Prime for HBO before the promo ends. $10 will get me a Kindle book.

OK. Throwing out something to see if anyone has an answer/opinion.

I have the new Amazon 4K Firestick and when I opened it last night there was a promo for HBO. It's a $10 credit from Amazon for signing up to HBO but it gives two options. One is sign up through Amazon Prime, the other is to get the HBO Now app (from the stick).

What is the difference and which one is preferable?

I remember when getting my first Fire TV box, Amazon apparently had a deal with HBO where almost all their older series (Sopranos, Deadwood, ROME, Carnivàle etc.) were free through the regular Amazon Prime selection, but no current HBO shows. I also had the HBO GO app when I subbed HBO through Dish.

Now, one guess I have is that HBO NOW would be like Dish Anywhere in that I could watch it on all types of devices. But since I am heavy in the Amazon environment, my devices are all Fire Tablets and I would never try to watch anything on a phone (I'm an old fart), so that feature does not sway me.

But I also worry that the "Amazon Prime" version would not be full access "regular" HBO. (maybe just an "On Demand" selection the following day etc.) On the other hand, I never did like the HBO GO app as the audio was lousy.

Anyone know the difference and/or has an opinion about which way to go. (The promo ends March 15)

I get HBO via Prime Channels. This allows me to watch live streams of the East Coast Channels via the Prime Video app. It also allows me to login to the HBO Now app with my Amazon credentials, so I recommend this method.

It's kind of smart on their part. They are just doing what ESPN has been doing to (or for) consumers for the last twenty years. Putting ESPN in practically all packages, making people pay for the channels whether they watch them or not.
Which forces ALL subs to pay more and if they go up in the future pay more again. This is why the skinny bundles have started to flourish in the sat/cable companies. I do NOT want to pay for sports PERIOD. With the Flex pack I never have to. If I had to pay for HBO and I didn't want to, I would definitely not go with a company that forced it on all subs. At least DISH has realized that forcing subs to pay more for channels that they don't want is just causing more churn. This will be the result for Directv Now as well. ATT is running Directv directly in the ground and the loss of subs already is reflecting that.

Which forces ALL subs to pay more and if they go up in the future pay more again. This is why the skinny bundles have started to flourish in the sat/cable companies. I do NOT want to pay for sports PERIOD. With the Flex pack I never have to. If I had to pay for HBO and I didn't want to, I would definitely not go with a company that forced it on all subs. At least DISH has realized that forcing subs to pay more for channels that they don't want is just causing more churn. This will be the result for Directv Now as well. ATT is running Directv directly in the ground and the loss of subs already is reflecting that.
First time Mike and myself have ever agreed on anything.

Directv Now just slapped a $10 price hike on it's subscribers.. Word has it that they also cut down to two available packages for new subscribers.. Also HBO will be $15 up charge for the pleasure of having it..
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts