The Official SatelliteGuys TV Repack Topic

Trip

RabbitEars Webmaster
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Jun 21, 2008
Alexandria, VA, US
Interesting both WDCA and WDCW in the DC area show as 0. Not sure if they are combining with someone else or if I will have to get my CW some other way.

Reactions: TheKrell
Trip am I reading the NY info wrong or is WNBC going "off air" entirely? Hard to believe a network flagship station is going off air completely?

Reactions: reddice
"Off air" indicates either going off the air or channel sharing. (To the auction system, they look like the same thing--freeing a TV channel.) More than 90% of stations indicated at least an interest in channel sharing, WNBC among them.

- Trip

Reactions: harshness
Pittsburgh's (PA) PBS station, WQED, has agreed to move from VHF High (13) to VHF Low (2). For decades, KDKA in Pittsburgh broadcast on channel 2 in analog, prior to the digital conversion. They had a strong signal and wide coverage area. Will WQED face challenges broadcasting in digital on VHF low that analog stations of the past did not face? I live less than 10 miles from WQED's tower. Any guesses on whether my attic antenna - which works great for local stations currently on VHF High, will be adequate to get WQED when they move over to channel 2? (The longest elements on my antenna are about 15-inches long.)

harshness,

They should all be there. LPTVs were not included in the auction, if that's what you're asking. They will not be reimbursed and were not assigned new channels. They will apply independently for new channels, if necessary.

- Trip

Repack Dates:

Phase Testing Transition
1 09/14/2018 11/30/2018
2 12/01/2018 4/12/2019
3 04/13/2019 6/21/2019
4 06/22/2019 8/2/2019
5 08/03/2019 9/6/2019
6 09/07/2019 10/18/2019
7 10/19/2019 1/17/2020
8 01/18/2020 3/13/2020
9 03/14/2020 5/1/2020
10 05/02/2020 7/3/2020

LPTVs were not included in the auction, if that's what you're asking.
My question is if the channels that some of the LDs or repeaters are operating on remain available, will they have to do something else or might they keep on doing what they're doing?

Specifically, I'm looking at KSLM-LD and K50GG-LD that currently occupy channels that remain available post-repack.

Our ATSC 3.0 test stations are at the top and bottom of the UHF band.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Is any KS/MO stations going away?
You can bet on it.

The databases only tell us what is currently on and what will be on after the repack (not counting any stations that (re-)apply between now and then).

Figuring out the difference is up to you at this point.

All you have to do is click the link Trip provided and scroll down the page. Trip provides a link to the map of stations relinquishing their spectrum or that had their license cancelled.

My question is if the channels that some of the LDs or repeaters are operating on remain available, will they have to do something else or might they keep on doing what they're doing?

Specifically, I'm looking at KSLM-LD and K50GG-LD that currently occupy channels that remain available post-repack.

Our ATSC 3.0 test stations are at the top and bottom of the UHF band.

An LPTV only has to move if it causes interference to a full power or Class A. So since no station is displacing KSLM-LD, it can stay put. K50GG-D, however, is on channel 50, and will ultimately have to move because it's above channel 37.

- Trip

Reactions: jamesjimcie
As I look at Chicago, WPWR is gray and has a "0" next to it. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that channel is going away? I would be surprised if that is the case considering they just got CW affliliation a couple of months ago from WGN.

These are the 12 stations that are going off-air completely (no channel sharing):

WAGT Augusta GA
WPBO Charleston-Huntington WV
WAOH-CD Cleveland-Akron OH
KATA-CD Dallas-Ft Worth TX
WFXI Greenville-New Bern-Washington NC
WBKI Louisville KY
WWJS-CD Louisville KY
WDLP-CD Miami-Ft Lauderdale FL
WNYJ New York NY
WMEI Puerto Rico
WSJU Puerto Rico
KSPR Springfield MO

As I look at Chicago, WPWR is gray and has a "0" next to it. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that channel is going away? I would be surprised if that is the case considering they just got CW affliliation a couple of months ago from WGN.

It means they've sold the spectrum under the WPWR license. They can and almost certainly will channel share with another broadcaster.

- Trip