The OTA Nightmare continues

nicklew98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2004
Ellettsville, IN
My initial install went pretty well some time ago, just couldn't pull in the locals (50 miles out.) Call Voom, they send someone over, who turns the antenna (Sensar II) and says that is all they can do for now. Call Voom to get another upgrade. I do so, get a call that they can't do anything until the new software update. I wait for that. Call Voom, schedule appointment, guy comes out, and turns the antenna, again. All he can do, no antenna available. He calls his office, may not have an antenna for a month or so (????WTF????) and to call back later.

Someone please explain to me how inefficient this operation is. Its rediculous. Its sad. Its going to cost Voom big bucks, and thus turn what sounded like a great idea, a bankrupt company due to poor preformance. It saddens me. I really like Voom, but I have to pull in the locals like I was getting from Dish (even if not in HD, I am OK with that until the bugs are worked out!!!) Cable is not available to me.

Aggravated, searching for other options....

Do you have a diplexer or do you have a separate RG6 from your antenna? Do you know where the built-in antenna pre-amp takes its power from? Some times a wrong type of diplexer or a missing power supply (in case of a separate RG6) could be the cause of the problem with Sensar II.

Hey Nickiewe98 is that sensor two a amplified one right, the reason why I ask is that I am pulling in my locals at 47 miles with my amplified sensor two.. Here is what I suggest try moving it around to diffrent parts of the roof untill you get the best signal you can and also remember line of sight, the clearer the better..

I moved mine all over my roof with not much luck and I now have it on the shed with a rotor and it works pretty good, I get every channel but one and that will come in after 8pm for some reason.. Dont count on were the installer put it because most of the time you can do better some were else.. If you still can not get it to work buy yourself another antenna, it is better than making a appointment and them not coming out with the upgrade at all, like they did me..

Here is a good place to buy your antenna if you decide to www.antennadirect.com you might only need a UHF to pull in your digital channels like it s in my area, because a uhf antenna is a tad better looking and not so big as a UHF VHF antenna..

When you go to the website look at the long range antennas, they are good for 60miles.. Cya Slick

I'm in the same boat as you, installer says there is nothing they can do. I have the Winegard antenna with a diplexer, my system status shows NO power to the antenna and a signal strength of 74...still can't pull in even one local channel. I agree that VOOM needs to provide locals for everyone somehow if they are going to survive. Maybe the new Satellite will provide for this, we can only hope.

Nicklew98,

are your local towers analog or digital? I heard that VOOM can only pull in digital signals, if your area is like mine you are SOL.

You gotta send an email to wilt with your account phone number, then complan to voom you need a better antenna StealthMaster and Sensar II are your basic antennas, no way in hell they are going to go 50 miles that's they maximum best climate conditions-nohills-distance.

Anyhow my installer was supposed to be here at 5pm today to change my OTA antenna, I have to leave work early to get here at that time. This is now the third time this has happened to since I got Voom... I know it's not Voom's fault its the crackhead installers they allow on their list of "Licensed Techs"... I'm about to tell them to send me the equipment to my damn house.

Ilya said:
Do you have a diplexer or do you have a separate RG6 from your antenna? Do you know where the built-in antenna pre-amp takes its power from? Some times a wrong type of diplexer or a missing power supply (in case of a separate RG6) could be the cause of the problem with Sensar II.

I am using a diplexer as installed by a really good installer. He knew his stuff, knew this board. I can possibly raise it another 5 feet or so to the peek of my roof (only bad part of installation, installed OTA antenna on the side of the house.)

Nick

It took me raising my antenna about 5 Ft above the next peak for it to do me any good. That may be all it takes.

Given the risk involved, you might want the installer to do it.

nicklew98 said:
I am using a diplexer as installed by a really good installer. He knew his stuff, knew this board.
Even a good satellite installer may not be aware that VOOM supplies voltage to the antenna via the diplexer. So, it might be a good idea to check if the type of the diplexer installed passes voltage to the OTA connector, not just to the LNB. It should be indicated on the diplexer itself, if you can get to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)