This 10 foot any good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
One of the issues I see with the tek2000 is the mesh. They are using common woven window screen for the fabric. This is weak and will not hold up as good as expanded metal screen. Also a poor choice for Ku reception. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and these dishes are cheap.
The mesh is not common woven window screen - it is expanded metal screen - like that used on other dishes. As for quality, we all know there are better (and worse) out there so I won't even get into that.:)

One of the issues I see with the tek2000 is the mesh. They are using common woven window screen for the fabric. This is weak and will not hold up as good as expanded metal screen. Also a poor choice for Ku reception. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and these dishes are cheap.

Okay - Where can i get a 10 foot or even 12 foot dish... I don't see any places online.. The max seems to be 6 foot.

The mesh is not common woven window screen - it is expanded metal screen - like that used on other dishes. As for quality, we all know there are better (and worse) out there so I won't even get into that.:)

Thanks for that.. His post made me nervous about the mesh.. Thank you for the clarification.

I have a 1.2 meter dish for KU, so i won't be using it for KU. I bought Titanium's ASC1 and Cband PLL LNB. I am trying to put some quality into this setup.

The Tek2000 dish does not seem to be bad for the money. To me its weakness is the mount, it does not look heavy duty enough to handle high winds and will probably not last too long, if there would be one failure point on that dish I would guess the mount would be the first thing to go. But for the money its still a good deal.

The Tek2000 dish does not seem to be bad for the money. To me its weakness is the mount, it does not look heavy duty enough to handle high winds and will probably not last too long, if there would be one failure point on that dish I would guess the mount would be the first thing to go. But for the money its still a good deal.
Agree, with Scott. When I first set the dish up and posted a review, I said I thought the mount could be improved. But it's held up through two storms with very strong winds as well as several smaller storms. I don't know how it will handle a snow load - guess I'll find out this winter, and of course, will let everyone know.:rolleyes: If you can find an older dish in nice shape for free/minimal cost, I would go for it. If you can't, the Tek2000 will work.

There are several North American dish manufactures, but the cost of these commercial quality dishes will be considerably higher than the Tek2000. I agree with the previous posts that most older legacy dishes that are in our neighborhoods are much higher quality build and more robust design.

I would like to see more reviews on the dish. Based on FTA4PA’s review it would be a downgrade for me to change out my 6ft Sadoun for an 8ft tek2000, but as he mentioned location can affect reception. It’s also possible that there may be some issue with his particular dish. I was extremely excited at the thought of a new mesh dish being available in the US until I saw performance information.

Well I will stand corrected here. I could have sworn I saw pictures of woven mesh somewhere, but after looking at many that I can find I would say you are correct. Good thing too cause I was starting to think stuff was really going downhill.

I use a refurbished channel master 10ft mesh dish, but the dishes sold on amazon look pretty sturdy to me! They even sell a 13.5ft monster dish with rear support braces and massive double frame.

Scott also gave them a good review at Amazon.

It would be a nice dish if Rf get packaged and shipped them better as many folks are reporting getting them damaged upon receipt. Also the month is not that heavy duty so think twice if you are in a windy area.

It would be a nice dish if Rf get packaged and shipped them better as many folks are reporting getting them damaged upon receipt. Also the month is not that heavy duty so think twice if you are in a windy area.
Agreed. Several are saying the mount is not heavy so keep this in mind.

Agreed. Several are saying the mount is not heavy so keep this in mind.
Yep, I pointed that out in my review last year of the 8' I bought from them. It does work fine (especially after I installed a Titanium C1PLL). Although the reflector is aluminum and pretty lightweight the mount could definitely be stronger IMHO. It's been through quite a few thunderstorms with strong winds here without issue but I do make sure I clean any snow off quickly to avoid stressing the mount too much. :)

Do i need a 36" to get the full +-60 degrees??? I want to make sure i can reach all the way down to 30w. Im at 88w.
polar mounts are limited in their total range of travel compared to their true south. It is because of the mathematical geometry of the mount. It is generally a maximum +-45 degrees longitude (90degrees total)from your true south. Not sure where you're getting the +-60 from. A 36" does not always help because the polar mount just goes into flop over mode where you can't control it then its useless. to get 30w you can mount the actuator on the east side but then you're limited to go over to about 120W max longitude. These are the reasons why people have to either go with 2 dishes (an east dish & a west dish) or a H-H mount like the AJAK.

polar mounts are limited in their total range of travel compared to their true south. It is because of the mathematical geometry of the mount. It is generally a maximum +-45 degrees longitude (90degrees total)from your true south. Not sure where you're getting the +-60 from. A 36" does not always help because the polar mount just goes into flop over mode where you can't control it then its useless. to get 30w you can mount the actuator on the east side but then you're limited to go over to about 120W max longitude. These are the reasons why people have to either go with 2 dishes (an east dish & a west dish) or a H-H mount like the AJAK.

Well, then i guess I am very lucky. With one 10 foot dish, i can go from 40w to 139w without any issues. This post your replying too was made quite awhile ago. I have a 24" actuator doing this. I got it pretty well tuned in before winter set.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)