This is so awesome!

No i do not have a converter box. I'll just have get lucky and aim it right i done moved antennas in so many different directions its easy. Like where i have the antenna now. If the weather moved it, i turn the wing part directly pointing to the utility pole which is where i scan and get the most channels.

My plans were to face the uhf towards baton rouge between 75° and 93, which is relevant to what you just said ENE and take the vhf and face the wing part at 283° which faces KPLC,

couple notes
-put the 8 bay at the top of your mast. About a foot of it will sit above the mast which is fine
-On the existing antenna if you can fold down the Yagi (the Y part) to make the antenna slimmer do it. Thats what I did with my HBU22
-You can put the VHF right below the 8 bay but I heard 3-4 feet apart is the best.

Ice, So is that bar reliably getting any of those channels that are 100 or so miles away with that tower setup? I saw a comparison on the gain on the old channel master 4251 vs say some 8 bay antennas. I didn't think there was that much of a difference? Maybe some but not significant. There is an old parabolic near me, mounted on a pole about 10 feet off the ground lol. It's pointed in the wrong direction as well. I think the person uses it as a yard decoration. Sadly its a little beat up and missing a few elements. Still neat to look at though. On another note my old style CM4428 or my 91XG gets everything within 50-60 miles. Columbus is 79 miles from me and without summer tropo conditions it ain't happening. That's with an older Channel Master preamp in the mix too. I don't think I could live where you live with very limited OTA channels. I'm getting about 50 or so with the Cincinnati Dayton market.

Ice, So is that bar reliably getting any of those channels that are 100 or so miles away with that tower setup?
I dont know but highly unlikely. You have to remember these were set up 20 years ago when you needed more signal for analog (to eliminate snow). Since they are not on a rotor I'm sure all they get are the 3 Brainerd stations (2 of which are translators) which are 25-30 miles away.

I don't think I could live where you live with very limited OTA channels.
that is the one downside of where I live is the limited OTA selection.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
couple notes
-put the 8 bay at the top of your mast. About a foot of it will sit above the mast which is fine
-On the existing antenna if you can fold down the Yagi (the Y part) to make the antenna slimmer do it. Thats what I did with my HBU22
-You can put the VHF right below the 8 bay but I heard 3-4 feet apart is the best.
The mast i have the vhf antenna on is long enough where i can put the uhf on top amd the vhf on the bottom of the mast where I'll have 3 and a half feet between them amd the vhf would still be 3 or four feet above the highest part of the roof top...

Reactions: Mr Tony
From the roof top how high is your 8 bay and vhf antenna, and from your roof top to the ground level

lets see.....its all approx
vhf is up probably 4 feet on mast from edge of roof.
UHF varies....lets say 11 feet.

Reason I say that is because its ghetto rigged the rotor isnt always the same height on the mast attached to the tripod.

Roof to ground? 2 stories but the house is built inito the hill that was there so one level is partially below ground
I'd say total height...25 feet

Reactions: localclassictvfan
The uhf antenna is Up. The seperator doesnt have uhf or vhf it has high and low. the vhf antenna is connected into the low and the 8 bay in the high. The vhf is pointed toward kplc and the 8 bay is at an angle between Lafayette and BR. I get the lil 46 channel, the nbc KLAF but it showing the same thing thats on fox. I had to move the v clamp to a lower part on side of the house. Yeah it was a bitch to try amd put it up at the top. The vhf is now 13 feet and vhf is 18 feet high above ground. I dont get the stations in br that have get, grit, and escape but i get what i use to get plus 7 and 46....the pre amp is coming in next week, I'll put it up then

that combiner is the wrong one. that combines a vhf low and a vhf hi antennas.
You need one that says vhf on one side and UHF on the other.

For fun unhook it and hook the 8 bay directly up and see what happens.

Can i get one at lowes or walmart or i would have to get another from solid signal

you would have to get it from them again. Big box stores dont sell things like that.
I could have sworn I posted the right link to the VHF/UHF combiner

edit: yes I did. Back in post 21 I posted the link to the combiner you need.

you would have to get it from them again. Big box stores dont sell things like that.
I could have sworn I posted the right link to the VHF/UHF combiner

edit: yes I did. Back in post 21 I posted the link to the combiner you need.
Yes I went back to post #21 and clicked the link and as i went done the one they sent is $2.99 and they charged me for the $5.49. I will order the $5.49 or $9.99 combiner, regardless I will call them and let them know they sent the wrong one. Thanks...

This is what i receive with both. Now this may change when i get the new seperator. Bottom left of tv screen has the 5 bars like AT and T
KATC ABC 3.1, CW 3.2 4 Bars, Transmitter 4.4 Miles Away
KALB NBC 5.1, CBS 5.2 1 Bar Transmitter aproxx 55 miles away
KXKW-LP 6 Analog Country Music with NOAA weather 18.8 miles away
KPLC NBC 7.1, This 7.2, Bounce 7.3, 1 bar, 45 miles away. From 6 at night to 9 in the morning comes in great after that well the screen slightly messes up, may have to raise the vhf a little past the 13 feet now. Or hopefully when the right combiner comes in we'll see
KLFY CBS 10.1, Still Message from the ex LWN on 10.2 5 bars 4.4 Miles away
KADN FOX 15.1, KLAF TV2, NBC 15.2, MNTV Acadiana 15.3, 7.8 miles away 4 bars
KDCG H&I 22.2, 22.1 This TV, 1 bar (was getting two with just the vhf) 18.8 miles away
KLPB PBS 24.1, LPB2 24.2, Create 24.3 5 bars 4.4 miles away. (Think it feeds off KLFY)
KXKW This 32.1, AntTV 32.2 18.8 Miles away, 2 bars (was getting 3 bars with just vhf)
WVLA NBC 33.1 1 to 2 Bars 59.6 Miles away. Seems I get this channel from any direction
KLAF NBC 46.1 1 bar 11.8 miles away (Coverage map looks like someone's head bashed inwards) However it shows FOX programming and FOXHD at the bottom right of the screen.
KLWB MeTV 50.1, KDCGH&I 50.2, 50.3 Silent was Soul of the South (maybe Grit by March next year) 50.4 and 50.5 audio from their owned radio stations
5 bars 18.8 miles. This was the former CW affiliate but the tower is about as high as KLFY so eventhough its affiliated with a diginet its a great advantage.
I lost WBRZ, WGMB, WAFB and a couple of religious channels along the way but we'll see when the new combiner comes in....

Yes I went back to post #21 and clicked the link and as i went done the one they sent is $2.99 and they charged me for the $5.49. I will order the $5.49 or $9.99 combiner, regardless I will call them and let them know they sent the wrong one. Thanks...
If they charged you for the VHF/UHF one and sent you the VHF Low/HI one yeah you need to call them and explain the situation. You NEED the VHF/UHF one

I lost WBRZ, WGMB, WAFB and a couple of religious channels along the way but we'll see when the new combiner comes in....

remove the combiner and just try it using the 8 bay. It will get **some** VHF on it. 10 will come in fine as its local. 7 may not as its far away. But when I had just my 8 bay up I was getting KCCW (CBS) which is pretty far away (45-50 miles) with minimal issues.

That combiner right now is probably hurting more than its helping

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Iceburg. Guess what station cox cable added hd only. The reason i bought the 8 bay for a channel i get maybe 3 days a month. WBXH 39 MNTV. Here is the kicker and i will tweet sister station WAFB later, since they added 39 on the cable will they add its two diginets grit and escape too. Bounce off WAFB, which we have on cox channel 17 supposed to launch in place of the one dropped off when cox removed kplc. according to my sources when an affiliate is added, the diginet comes with it.

Hey Iceburg, this gonna sound silly but I have an extra antenna mast I was thinking of getting a longer cable line to attach the vhf to its side of the combiner I have and putting that antenna on this mast a little away from the one its on now with the 8 Bay. What you think...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)