TimeTrax Recast shuts down if I am not connected to the Internet

sgiddens

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
What's with that? What does it care if I am connected to the internet or not?

That's why I bought XM is to not have to be connected online all the time. What information is it require or sends that it requires an internet connection?

I don't recall signing up for that whatever it is, get rid of it.

Timetrax is afraid of pirates.

Timetrax implemented regular "phone home" connections (~ every 20 minutes) to verify that you aren't a pirate.

If your connection is bad, or TimeTrax's servers are down, or your firewall blocks the traffic, or the internet between you and them is experiencing trouble, then TimeTrax will shut down.

So far, they have "relaxed" the phone home requirements a bit, but don't show any movement towards removing it.

So, if you can't get your firewall to pass the traffic, or fix whatever is wrong (if it is on your end), then you are SOL.

I would myself not be so pissed about it if I had not missed something I was waiting to hear something recorded from a satellite when my cable connection went down. I mean, that's what TT is for and another single point failure of the software.

I checked my activity on my computer since it is sending information back to them from it and so far it is maintaining a constant connection back to their servers at 216.254.154.152 on port 443 (https).

The information is encrypted as to not allow you to see the info they are sending. That sounds too invasive to me.

How do you go back to a non-Recast version of TT and will your Recast registration code work with older versions of TT?

As I've said numerous times before, no one should be experiencing problems with Recast shutting down due to a lack of internet connectivity.

If anyone experiences problems in this regard, please submit a support ticket so we can take a look at what is going on so the issue does not continue.

The software will still try to communicate to the timetrax data center, however currently there are no features activated in the software that require this connection. (the internet connection is still required for the initial activation key to registration key process).

In future versions there are going to be features that will require an internet connection if you are interested in using them. (as an example, if we offer a feature to help a user determine what channels play artists included on their 'grab' list)

If you are having this trouble, open a support ticket so that we can make sure that it is not functioning improperly.

David K.
Time Trax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts