TimeTrax Recast v1.4 Blue Screen on Timer Recording

teeb61

Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Support request already made to TimeTrax - this post is info sharing to see if anyone else has had this experience. (Time Trax Support: Problem 23402 Created)

Every time I set TimeTrax Recast v1.4 to record on a timer schedule, tracks are recorded just fine but at the end of the timer schedule recording period I get a Windows XP blue screen. I turned off AV, screensaver, firewall, no other apps running and still get this behavior every time.

Here are details I've written down from the blue screen:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xBAFFE008, 0x00000007, 0x00000001, 0xACAF6F9C)
ha10kx2k.sys - Address ACAF6F9C base at ACAD8000, DateStamp 411b1efd

Thanks.

I'm not technical enough to interpert the specific error that you are getting - however, we've started to notice a pattern that 90% of the BSOD's that users are experiencing are related to the interaction between Recast and your system sound card drivers.

We have not yet been able to correlate the issue to which sound cards and driver versions are causing the problems, but I suspect that we will be able to do that soon.

What soundcard to you have and what version including the date are the drivers that you have installed? Are they the most current drivers available? (this can be determined on the soundcard makers website).

If they ARE NOT the most up-to-date, please update your drivers and then see if you can reproduce the error.

It would be very helpful to us as well as the other users out there if you could make sure to reply to this thread and let us know what your experience is and if you are or are not successful.

David K.
Time Trax Customer Service

Card is Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS which was preinstalled on my Dell dimension 8400 running Win XP SP2. Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS latest drivers from Dell website are installed: v5.12.4.445 date8.17.04. I also tried Creative's drivers from the Creative website: v5.12.2.444 date10.18.04 and same Windows XP blue screen occurs. Note: the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS drivers from Dell's website should be used on Dell pre-installed Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcards - I only used Creative's for Timetrax Recast testing purposes.

Thanks!

Tony.

I did a little digging on the net for you on this one.

ha10kx2k.sys is the driver for the audigy.

I have read on a few forums when I did a google search using ha10kx2k.sys that the latest driver gives several errors for all kinds of different sound applications.

Some users found that if they rolled back to an older version it corrected their BSOD issues.

There is also some spyware/malware out there that re-writes this particular file and causes issues for some people.

All signs are pointing to a bad Audigy driver. If you could try the creative site and see if you can get prior drivers, give that a shot and see if it helps.

If you want to verify this do a google search of your own on ha10kx2k.sys and see what you come up with.

Derek

I had the same issue (Dell Dimension running XP SP2 with the Audigy soundcard).

Right now, I have TimeTrax running on a different computer, so its not an issue (but I don't want to leave that computer connected to the internet 24/7 every week of the year, which is yet another issue, oddly).

However, realize that the blue screen issue is so nasty, with the things I rely upon my main desktop computer for, there is no way I would run anything that would possibly crash the OS like that on it. If I didn't keep my old computer, I'd have trashed this thing before even thinking of running it.

I'm not going back to an older version of a sound card driver. I've run loads of encoding, recording, mixing . . . everything audio (including using obscure codecs and a wide variety of audio applications) on my comptuer and no audio application has blue screened and taken down my OS like TT did.

Whether or not other applications have problems, there should be a TT patch or something released very quickly to address this. Had I bought TT and not had a backup computer, it would be useless to me.

Chuck, I understand that you aren't having any problems other than with TT, but with a couple clicks, it appears that the problem is not just with TT. My first google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ha10kx2k.sys+BSOD&btnG=Google+Search

As a matter of fact, it is reference over and over that the common thread is the sound card on the Dell machine.

If there is any technical information available that would allow us to accomodate that configuration which a multitude of applications are having, we would absolutely love to fix it - so please don't think that's the issue.

We are going to continue to hit this issue as hard as we can and dedicate our resources to finding a solution. We are very sorry the problem exists. I have directly contacted Creative to see if we can work with them to determine the source of the problem.

David K.
Time Trax

I just installed TT last week and am also getting Blue Screen problem. I am running a Dell XP desktop wth a Creative card. I have submitted a ticket to TT, but this needs to get fixed quickly. The only reason I got TT was to record Stern when he starts next week. If it doesn't work for this, I'll have to return TT

Hmmmm. Let me try a different way of explaining what is going on.

There is a problem with Dell computers that came preinstalled with Creative Audigy soundcards that effects many applications that access soundcard functionality and particularly those that are particularly instensive.

This problem does effect Recast and has caused BSOD occurences, BUT IT IS NOT A BUG OR PROBLEM WITHIN RECAST. Whatever issue Dell or Creative has causes BSOD problems with numerous applications. This is documented extensively as referenced by the link I provided above.

That being said, we would LOVE to fix it. We've submitted a request to Creative for any information on how to code 'around' the problem but have not yet gotten any response. If you've got information - we want it - please send it to us.

As a side note - my personal PC at home has this configuration and I have not experienced a BSOD running Recast.

David K.
Time Trax

In regards to returns, if Recast does not work on your set-up for ANY reason, whether it is Recast related or not, you can return any purchase from Time Trax within 30 days for a refund (software once registered is non-refundable).

I've also had the same issue (Dell Dimension running XP SP2 with an Audigy 2 soundcard, & HT enabled within the CPU), except that the BSOD indicated the following:
ftser2k.sys

jkavros said:
I've also had the same issue (Dell Dimension running XP SP2 with an Audigy 2 soundcard, & HT enabled within the CPU), except that the BSOD indicated the following:
ftser2k.sys

I beleive thats the USB to Serial driver. Have you found an update for them (Or has M$ forced a driver update on you?) and if not you might check and see if there is a driver update from M$

PhuckNut said:
I beleive thats the USB to Serial driver. Have you found an update for them (Or has M$ forced a driver update on you?) and if not you might check and see if there is a driver update from M$

Yes, the USB to Serial driver. There is an update (v1.0.2176.1) from Future Technology Devices International Limited, not Microsoft.
The version supplied with TT 1.4 is v1.0.2154.1

The BSOD is an intermit occurring problem. I've experienced a blue screen when exiting from the TT program, at the very beginning and at the end of a scheduled recording. Yesterday, I disabled hyper-threading of the CPU, and have run a number of scheduled recordings, one five hours long to duplicate a Howard recording, without any BSOD's.

I haven't been able to readily duplicate the problem, and don't have a handle on the issue.

jkavros said:
Yes, the USB to Serial driver. There is an update (v1.0.2176.1) from Future Technology Devices International Limited, not Microsoft.
The version supplied with TT 1.4 is v1.0.2154.1
The BSOD is an intermit occurring problem. I've experienced a blue screen when exiting from the TT program, at the very beginning and at the end of a scheduled recording. Yesterday, I disabled hyper-threading of the CPU, and have run a number of scheduled recordings, one five hours long to duplicate a Howard recording, without any BSOD's.
I haven't been able to readily duplicate the problem, and don't have a handle on the issue.

If you have a driver issue that's being registered as causing the BSOD--- I am not sure what changing and turning off the HyperThreading would do for you - however it sounds like it might have done something, I really do doubt there is any connection.

I would upgrade/update the driver and see what happens, if it doesn't do aynthing, then downgrade back to the older version.

There has got to be an answer for this.

I am still having the blue screen problem, and am going to try to install another sound card. Can someone recommend one thay they know works with TT Recast 1.4, and that is somewhat reasonable priced?

Hmmmm, my challenge in trying to make a recommendation, is that we usually recommend and have great luck with the creative sound cards - just not the ones that are coming preinstalled from Dell.

I do think there are some other good and reasonably priced options. We appreciate your effort and it will be really helpful to see if that takes care of your problem.

That should confirm or debunk our throughts about what is causing the problem, please make sure to report your results!

David K.

Which Creative ones work - I'm happy buying a Creative one since they are the easiest to buy!

On the low cost side of the house we have had a lot of success when our customers put in a Sound Blaster Live!

If you don't mind spending the extra bucks the Creative Audigy is a good card.... (Not the Dell Supplied Audigy)

We have not tested with the new Creative FI (I think that is what they are called) cards.... so those brand new Creative cards are unknown at this time.

I personally use a Live! card in both of my TimeTrax computers and have never had a problem.

If you go to a store like Best Buy they will allow you to return an opened product, so you can go and purchase a card from a store like this, try it, if it doesn't help return it.

Just as an FYI.... a couple of our customers with DELL supplied Audigy cards have gone to the Creative site to download the latest drivers and installed them with great success.

The true Creative drivers rather than the DELL supplied ones fixed their BSOD issues.

Derek

Derek,

I have the same issues as you know but I don't have a DELL. I have a brand new Tower that I built myself. It's using the ASUS A8n-SLI Premium MB which uses a Realtek alc850 8-channel codec and the latest drivers. beta 1.5 works better giving me a few hours of recording, but still the BSOD. PLEASE HELP!!

Are you loading the ASUS audio drivers or going to the RealTek site and downloading the true drivers?

I also have an ASUS board and use the on-board sound card for my XM Online recordings ... I had to go to the Reaktek site and download their drivers and software to make it work.

Give that a try if you don't mind.

Derek

which drivers did you download. They don't have my specific chipset up their so i haven't tried their drivers. I see on another of the forum boards that another user has the same issue w/ the asus a8n-sli deluxe.

I am not sure which are the right ones for you. I was lucky enough to find the ones that matched my chipset. (I have a different ASUS board)

Would you consider disabling the on-board sound and going with a proper sound card? At least for testing purposes?

If you can find a store that allows returns, try picking up something like a Creative labs Live! and see if it helps your situation.

Derek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)