To the idiots looting in th gulf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
a good article on Nagin;

New Orleans mayor deals with a natural disaster and some criticism

By Erika Bolstad and Thomas Fitzgerald, Knight Ridder Newspapers Sat Sep 3, 7:10 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Ray Nagin was swept into office three years ago as a political outsider, a business executive who was going to save the city from corruption and modernize its baroque government.
ADVERTISEMENT

Now he's a mayor without a city.

Most of New Orleans is covered in dirty brown floodwaters. Its police are besieged by armed mobs and looters. Flames flare from broken gas lines. Stranded residents have been living in squalor, with no electricity or fresh water. Dead bodies float in the streets.

Some question whether the city can ever be rebuilt, but Nagin, 49, soldiers on from the darkened and shattered Hyatt hotel downtown, trying in his methodical way to impose order on an apocalypse. He uses runners to communicate with the remnants of his government, though most top officials have decamped to Baton Rouge, La.

On Thursday, three days after Hurricane Katrina's landfall, Nagin had been pushed far enough, and he went on the radio and told the federal government to "get off your asses and let's do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country."

He broke down in tears.

Those who know him say the outburst was uncharacteristic for a calm technocrat who likes to make lists of problems and solve them. They also said it was about time.

"It was possibly the highest moment of my life right now," said Jackie Clarkson, a city councilwoman and political ally who represents the French Quarter. "I was listening and I was going, `Yes, yes, yes!' I loved it."

Amid the sternest test of leadership imaginable, Nagin faces heavy criticism for failing to evacuate the poorest New Orleans residents swiftly. Supporters are sticking with him, however, saying he's doing the best he can in an impossible situation.

Unlike former New York
Mayor Rudolph Giuliani guiding his citizens through the darkness of Sept. 11, Nagin hasn't had a commanding media presence. Those who remain in his city have no power and can't see him on television anyway.

That may have hurt him in the first crucial hours of crisis, when the leader of a city can either be seen as rising to the challenge or not seen at all.

After nearly a week in subhuman conditions in the city's shelters of last resort - the Superdome and the convention center - many were seething with resentment over the way they'd been treated, and some lashed out at Nagin.

U.S. Rep. William Jefferson (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat from New Orleans, defended the mayor.

"His job was to sound the alarm down here and he has done that, from the violence to the rescues to stopping the levee breach," said Jefferson, who supported one of Nagin's opponents in 2002. "Nobody has done everything exactly right around here, but he has applied himself and shown great leadership."

A more experienced politician might have avoided twisting the president's tail. But Nagin's frank talk appeared to get action. By Friday,
President Bush was in New Orleans and, after meeting with the mayor, he pledged 7,000 more troops and better coordination of relief.

"In politics, I always feel like I'm bridled," Nagin said Friday after the meeting. "I just took the bridle off. I'd had enough."

Two things made him see red, he said. First was the condition of the Superdome. Then he heard stories about women who were trying to give away their babies to get them out of town.

Nagin, an African-American, had no political experience before he won office in 2002 by besting 14 other candidates. He'd been a cable TV executive at Cox Communications, making $400,000 a year, the darling of the city's business elite, a fresh face with a shaved head (one local columnist called him a "hottie") who promised change.

Nagin was born in 1956 in New Orleans' Charity Hospital, a legacy of Depression-era populist Gov. Huey P. Long that provides free health care to the poor. Now the hospital is out of food and water, and thugs shot at rescuers who were trying to evacuate its remaining patients last week.

During his campaign, Nagin milked his humble origins for all they were worth. His mother managed a Kmart lunch counter. His father was a fabric cutter in a clothing factory on the day shift and worked as a City Hall custodian at night.

In high school, Nagin was a lanky baseball pitcher, a left-hander known for a big curve ball and an ability to put the ball exactly where he wanted it. He won a scholarship to Tuskegee University, a historically black college in Alabama, graduating in 1978 with a degree in accounting.

At various times during his first three years in office, Nagin has vowed to sell off the city's airport, take over the troubled school system and cut the city bureaucracy. None of that has happened, but New Orleans' problems with poverty, unemployment and crime have continued.

Those failed promises pale in comparison with the challenges of Katrina.

Critics say Nagin has made some serious missteps. Concerned about the legal ramifications of ordering people to leave their homes without enough adequate shelters, Nagin didn't issue a mandatory evacuation until Sunday morning, less than 24 hours before the storm hit, meaning that up to 100,000 people were stranded.

In the aftermath, it became apparent that the city hadn't stockpiled enough fuel for rescue vehicles and boats.

Admirers see Nagin's staying in the city as courageous, like a captain staying with his ship. Others say it's pure stubbornness, and point out that he might have been in a better position to coordinate relief efforts with improved communications in Baton Rouge.

"He's a hands-on person, so Nagin is probably going to get blamed no matter what," said David Bositis, an expert in urban politics at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies in Washington. "He's not someone whose political support is so deep he'll be able to rely on that."

Nagin, who has a master's in business administration from Tulane University, said he learned long ago to tackle a long list of problems three at a time. When you accomplish them, he said, you move problem number four to the top of the list.

For now, he's focused on his list: transferring control to the military, completing the evacuation of the city, containing the floodwaters and then draining them. Federal officials say the last could take six months.

Nagin never thought he'd be called on to lead his city through its rebirth. With almost no tax revenue coming in, the government will be broke in two weeks. He's concerned about mosquitoes, and that no one knows yet how many people have died. The list of problems is endless.

"I was living a pretty good life," Nagin said of his pre-storm days. "I could not imagine this in my wildest dreams."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/krwashbureau/20050903/ts_krwashbureau/_wea_katrina_mayor

vurbano said:
Now Mr Nagel has stated that he is no longer going to give water to those that refuse to leave according to CNN.

thats a smart idea :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
Now Mr Nagel has stated that he is no longer going to give water to those that refuse to leave according to CNN.

Good, if they are so stuburn as to not leave, then they should be on their own. They have been ordered to leave, if they don't then do enable them by giving them the means to stay.
This is rediculous. He was blamed for not getting everyone out in time, and now he is going to be blamed for not letting people stay. No one should be there right now, NO ONE!

There are lessons to be learned here for everyone. To start off with, if you are going to designate anyplace as a shelter you need to supply it with food, water and other essentials (enough for at least 3 days). You can't just send people to a place and tell them they are on their own. Also any designated shelter should have backup power supply and that can be kept running for several days, as well as a security and information structure. Sure there are many people that were stuck there and may of had no way out. But there are many, many cars that can be seen under water. If the people that own those cars stayed more than some of the responsibility lies with themselves. Some may have seen the picture on TV of the massive traffic jams and thought they had no shot at getting out, I will grant you that. But why in GOD's name were the interstates not made one direction so more people could have left quicker. I sat there watching this on TV last Sunday, going crazy watching traffic heading out of town in total gridlock as there were empty lanes going the other way.

Slamminc11 said:
Good, if they are so stuburn as to not leave, then they should be on their own. They have been ordered to leave, if they don't then do enable them by giving them the means to stay.
This is rediculous. He was blamed for not getting everyone out in time, and now he is going to be blamed for not letting people stay. No one should be there right now, NO ONE!

well apparently there still are a couple of reasons to stay. Youre not going to believe this http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/05/katrina.bars.reut/index.html

rockaway1836 said:
There are lessons to be learned here for everyone. To start off with, if you are going to designate anyplace as a shelter you need to supply it with food, water and other essentials (enough for at least 3 days). You can't just send people to a place and tell them they are on their own. Also any designated shelter should have backup power supply and that can be kept running for several days, as well as a security and information structure. Sure there are many people that were stuck there and may of had no way out. But there are many, many cars that can be seen under water. If the people that own those cars stayed more than some of the responsibility lies with themselves. Some may have seen the picture on TV of the massive traffic jams and thought they had no shot at getting out, I will grant you that. But why in GOD's name were the interstates not made one direction so more people could have left quicker. I sat there watching this on TV last Sunday, going crazy watching traffic heading out of town in total gridlock as there were empty lanes going the other way.

1. They only thought they would need the SUperdome for a day or too. They only planned (poorly) for the hurricane. Not the levees breaking. But they did tell people to bring food and water for 5 days. No one did though. And if they did someone took it from them is my guess.
2. There was obviously no law enforcement in the superdome - big mistake. They filled it first with people with medical problems then opened it up people who could prey on the weaker people.
3. We open all lanes in one direction out of this place in an emergency. I dont understand why they didnt either:rolleyes: But what I do know is that those are all local and state responsibilities. Not the Feds.

vurbano said:
1. They only thought they would need the SUperdome for a day or too. They only planned (poorly) for the hurricane. Not the levees breaking. But they did tell people to bring food and water for 5 days. No one did though. And if they did someone took it from them is my guess.
2. There was obviously no law enforcement in the superdome - big mistake. They filled it first with people with medical problems then opened it up people who could prey on the weaker people.
3. We open all lanes in one direction out of this place in an emergency. I dont understand why they didnt either:rolleyes: But what I do know is that those are all local and state responsibilities. Not the Feds.
I agree. I just hope everyone learns from this and next time there is better preparation. Starting at the local level! It burns my ass to see politicians and others with their own agendas trying to lay blame for this at Bush's feet for political reasons.

rockaway1836 said:
I agree. I just hope everyone learns from this and next time there is better preparation. Starting at the local level! It burns my ass to see politicians and others with their own agendas trying to lay blame for this at Bush's feet for political reasons.

It really shocks me that they reacted so poorly. They get far more Hurricanes than we do here, but this area is VERY proactive in planning and preparing for them. Maybe that has to do with the military presence we have here.

I'm going to date myself here, but what the Hell. I grew up in Far Rockaway, Queens NY. My first day of first grade was the day Hurricane Donna hit. On that day the ocean and Jamacia Bay rose up to meet each other over most of the peninsula. We walked to school that day. The wind was so bad my mom had me walk backwards, just so I could breath. So you could say I have been through a few tough ones myself. Although Donna is still to this day one of the worst storms ever it pales in comparison to Katrina. It seems to me that they should have been much better prepared with planning for such a disaster. Seeing the size and power of this thing no one living below sea level could have expected anything but total devastation. The warning from The National Weather Sevice (which was posted on this site) scared the sh** out of me! Posted here by BGF http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=83452&page=2&pp=15

riffjim4069 said:
You're going to date yourself? It looks like another Satelliteguys exclusive! :D

:sorry: we all need a good laugh these days.
LOL The 1836 is actually my old house number from when I lived in The Rockaways. Although my son and daughter feel it is closer too the year of my birth! :D

redhawk said:
..... some of the comments I've been hearing/reading lately are the most blatant examples of the just barely hidden racism I've become used to since moving to the Southland. Seems to be part of the Neo-Cons' plan to deflect blame/responsiblity from the current administration in DC. Hope that is not what is going on here.

I am afraid you are correct with your observations. While I can read everything about "their own fault" etc. I never heard those comments after a hurricane hit Florida or to blame people who still live in California (earthquake)
No need to play the blamegame - The "clowns took off their masks" alone

Matt said:
I am afraid you are correct with your observations. While I can read everything about "their own fault" etc. I never heard those comments after a hurricane hit Florida or to blame people who still live in California (earthquake)
No need to play the blamegame - The "clowns took off their masks" alone
Anyone, and I mean anyone that is thinking along racial lines here should be totaly ashamed of themselves! Whether (GOD forbid) in the measure of response to this disaster or the political fodder that may thought to be gained. This is a national disaster! There is no color we are all Americans and we do the best we can to help each other as best we can PERIOD! Earthquakes come without notice, recent storms in Fla are not the same as this one. We all sat there last Saturday and Sunday watching a CAT5 monster bear down on a city that is below sea level! The storms in Fla (if I remember correctly) got a lot stronger when it was way too late to leave.

Race is a non-issue except for those trying to exploit this to gain some political capital. This is an issue of utter incompetence. It's hard to say anyone brought this upon themselves when the mayor didn't follow up his "mandatory evacuation" with any attempt at all to evacuate his citizens. It's no wonder some may not have taken it too seriously.

What genious interpreted their evacuation plan as "get out if you can, if you can't just pile up at the Superdome". Pure genious. I guess the evacuation plan that New Orleans established that involved mobilizing their fleets of school buses was in the event of a mandatory evacuation that occurs after the mandatory evacuation.

rockaway1836 said:
You guys are going to see this sooner or later anyway, so I thought I would put it here. This is not funny, but it makes a few valid points. Mods if this is out of line please delete.......Rich
http://foamy.libertech.net/kat.swf

It sure does. There has to be something more constructive than Anderson Cooper, Lou Dobbs or Wolf Blitzer throwing up softballs to Jesse Jackson and urging him with dont you think, dont you think this or that Jesse, encouraging more and more bashing. Raise your hand if your sick of hearing Jesse complain about the word refugee.

vurbano said:
It sure does. There has to be something more constructive than Anderson Cooper, Lou Dobbs or Wolf Blitzer throwing up softballs to Jesse Jackson and urging him with dont you think, dont you think this or that Jesse, encouraging more and more bashing. Raise your hand if your sick of hearing Jesse complain about the word refugee.

I'm just sick of hearing Jesse jackson, so I have both hands up. I am having to type with my nose!

Slamminc11 said:
I'm just sick of hearing Jesse jackson, so I have both hands up. I am having to type with my nose!

Jesse has 4 things to say
1. Its Bush's fault. He refuses to put any blame on Nagin or the Governor:rolleyes:
2. dont call them refugees. WHo cares?
3. Use military bases to house the displaced. Im glad Jesse knows best:rolleyes:
4. Dont seperate families. As for myself I think its more important to get everyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts