Too fast internet issues

Lee Rose

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Los Angeles
So I have been going through a lot of internet issues with Dish on both the Hopper 2 and Hopper 3. Download failures but more importantly a total inability to get Netflix to work on either the Hopper 2 / Joey or Hopper 3/Joey 2 system. ui-113 (can't connect) and nw-101 (no internet) errors constantly. Every once in 20 trys it would work. Many, many, many calls to Dish support, to Netflix support and back to Dish support. No solutions from anyone.

I questioned both Dish & Netflix about my theory that the Time Warner 300mps internet service might be freaking out the Netflix. No one would sign on to my theory.

Finally I did some research and found a guy in Latin America who was have a Netflix hang up issue at 25% load. He found that if he did a bandwidth limit in his router for the Hopper it solved the issue for him. So I did a 20mps bandswidth limit on the Hopper IP address on my router and voila. Problem solved.

I've informed Dish tech support but the way they have been going I'm not sure it will end up in the knowledge-base so I'm passing the fix on here.

That is a very interesting bit of information. Thanks for sharing!

My Hopper 3 is plugged directly into my Google Fiber gigabit router. The Google box says the Hopper has a gigabit interface, and it's running at 1000mb. We also have a Joey 2 and Joey 4K. They connect via WiFi so they don't see as much raw speed.

We regularly watch Netflix and have never had a problem.

What router do you have? Did you happen to compare routers with the person who found the original fix? I'm sure the Hopper can't swallow the full bandwidth, and perhaps the router is overrunning a buffer while the Hopper is doing something else.

It's great you found a solution and shared it with us...

My Hopper 3 is plugged directly into my Google Fiber gigabit router. The Google box says the Hopper has a gigabit interface, and it's running at 1000mb. We also have a Joey 2 and Joey 4K. They connect via WiFi so they don't see as much raw speed.

We regularly watch Netflix and have never had a problem.

So you are able to watch Netflicks on your 4K Joey? Very interesting?

FYI: Running an Asus RT-AC68U router on Time Warner 300mbps internet. Ookla speed test comes in at between 210mbps and 285mbps. I am not using 4k in the house.

So I have been going through a lot of internet issues with Dish on both the Hopper 2 and Hopper 3. Download failures but more importantly a total inability to get Netflix to work on either the Hopper 2 / Joey or Hopper 3/Joey 2 system. ui-113 (can't connect) and nw-101 (no internet) errors constantly. Every once in 20 trys it would work. Many, many, many calls to Dish support, to Netflix support and back to Dish support. No solutions from anyone.

I questioned both Dish & Netflix about my theory that the Time Warner 300mps internet service might be freaking out the Netflix. No one would sign on to my theory.

Finally I did some research and found a guy in Latin America who was have a Netflix hang up issue at 25% load. He found that if he did a bandwidth limit in his router for the Hopper it solved the issue for him. So I did a 20mps bandswidth limit on the Hopper IP address on my router and voila. Problem solved.

I've informed Dish tech support but the way they have been going I'm not sure it will end up in the knowledge-base so I'm passing the fix on here.

I would be surprised if it isn't the router that can't handle it because of some problem. I'm not a fan of Asus routers (yes I know they get some very good reviews) But they are known for their updates breaking things. That said make sure you do have the latest update for it. And to prove or not that it is your router try another router and see what happens before you start doing other things. For me I spent 1/2 day with them on the phone, trying all kinds of things only to find as soon as I gave up and went back to a Netgear everything has worked perfectly since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)