Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

But watching Sumo on ESPN is a watered down version, and I find it actually boring to watch. I practiced SUMO for years on a Japanese amateur team close in Aomori Des. Yes I miss, a lot about Japan, they have killer TV and Commercials that make no sense at all. Damn you can not even get Japanese’s beer here in the US.
I can get any Japanese beer I want. I drink Sapporo regularly. (We have indoor plumbing here, too.)

Thank goodness the player plays standard DVD too! I'll support HD-DVD as long as I can though. So, what will HD-DVD be called in future generations? HDmax, BetaHD, ?? :)
I suppose it would be nice to settle on one format rather than having to mix up the collection since some studios release HD-DVD and others Blu-Ray. I have noticed some parallel releases though!

So, what will HD-DVD be called in future generations? HDmax, BetaHD, ?? :)

Nothing. It will be utterly forgotten and we will move on. What was RCA's Videodisc called? (CED - Capacitive Electronic Disc was the format, Selectavision was the brand)

At most, it will be a question on Trivial Pursuit, the New Millenium edition.

Nothing. It will be utterly forgotten and we will move on. What was RCA's Videodisc called? (CED - Capacitive Electronic Disc was the format, Selectavision was the brand)

At most, it will be a question on Trivial Pursuit, the New Millenium edition.

I think the name is too intuitive, if anything it will be hard to prevent Blu-Ray from being called HD-DVD by the media at some point if BD ever became half as popular as DVD. In essence the war would be forgotten unless you were a participant, and it would be called that as part of the natural progression, and not as a sign it's supplanted it.

the name HD DVD was more intuitive but unless the current trademark owners decide to stop enforcing that trademark the name will slip away. heck beta was probablya better name than VHS---most did not even know what it stood for---but it faded away.

Microsoft holding off on HD DVD reaction, thinks "games" sell consoles

Posted Feb 18th 2008 11:40AM by Paul Miller
Filed under: Gaming, HDTV, Home Entertainment
xbox_360-blu-ray.jpg
Microsoft hit us up with a statement today regarding its Xbox 360 HD DVD player in light of the format's current woes. The company seems to think the news won't have "any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace." Microsoft goes on to reiterate its line about the largest next-gen games library and its belief that "it is games that sell consoles." For those of you hoping for some sort of Blu-ray attachment for the 360 -- or a sense of purpose for that increasingly obsolete HD DVD player currently hooked up to your 360 -- Microsoft does say that "we will wait until we hear from Toshiba before announcing any specific plans around the Xbox 360 HD DVD player," which seems to imply there's something to announce once HD DVD finally kicks the bucket, but at this point the prospect of a Blu-ray add-on still seems rather optimistic.

Remember "Lord of War"?
Most people are happy just to get out of jail. I expect to be paid to leave.

Replace "jail" with "failing format".
I guess the money issue hasn't been finalized yet...:)

Diogen.

The Wall Street Journal: Toshiba Set to Cede DVD-Format Fight - WSJ.com

A person familiar with the situation said a complete withdrawal from the HD DVD business is likely to result in a loss in the range of hundreds of millions of dollars for Toshiba, in addition to the losses that it has already racked up.

The person also said Toshiba will likely continue to provide customer support for HD DVD players that it has sold, but it had no compensation plans in mind for consumers who have already purchased them.

Free Preview - WSJ.com

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--Shares in Toshiba Corp. (6502.TO) moved sharply higher in early trading Monday as investors and analysts welcomed signals from the electronics company that it's reconsidering whether it's worth plowing more money into its next-generation DVD business as the movie world begins to put its weight behind a rival format developed by Sony Corp. (6758.TO).

Toshiba shares were up over 5% after people familiar with the situation told The Wall Street Journal Sunday that Toshiba is highly likely to pull the plug on its HD DVD version of next-generation DVD technology, as early this week.

This is getting so much press that an avalanche is heading for Toshiba, no way they will be able to continue HD-DVD support and throw good money after bad.

The story is even on CNN's website now.... Toshiba's hand is being forced now with "big" news agencies reporting this. They say they'll decide tomorrow anyway. If they didn't have a meeting planned so soon, they'd have to at least issue a press release that says *something*.

This is not an excuse but is a fact. There are over 25 million HDTVs currently in homes accross the USA. If you put all the BD and HD-DVD units together along with the PS3 you will still not have 25% of the market. That means that 75% of the market is currently setting out waiting for a winner to be called before they spend their hard earned dollars. If you think that the differance between DVD and HDM is tiny then you really have not experianced High Def video and sound. Once you do then you will not be making those type of comparisons. And no upconverter will give you the PQ or the AQ from DVD that you can get from HDM -- not even close. Put that upconverted DVD on a 65" or larger screen and you will crap.
You can't imagine probably the same way you could not imagine HD-DVD losing. Just because you have cheapest product on the block does not mean that everybody was going to buy it. Time to get over the loss and stop making excuses for why you think BD will fail when you did not think HD-DVD would fail. BD won -- there is a fact you can bank with.

jOEsp you make my point for me, you mentioned the fact that there is only 25 million HDTV’s in USA homes out of 300 million people. Don’t you think that’s a bigger obstacle then any thing else, I do. And yes the difference between DVD and HDM is tiny COMPARED to the difference between VHS and DVD on so many levels. I never said that HDM wasn’t better. Have you viewed any Superbit DVD’s on a good progressive scan DVD player, pretty good huh then add to that upconvert abilities and it becomes harder and harder for J6P to justify an additional $500 purchase. So once again I firmly stand behind my point that it is an excuse and is no where near the reason holding back HDM. One last thing, how the hell do you assume that because 75% of the people don’t own it they are waiting for the format war to end, overly presumptuous. Keep searching for why HDM is 2% of sales cause nothing has shown me its because this war, mostly battled out in these obscure forums. I always thought that HDM would be obsolete within a much shorter time then DVD lasted. Therefore I’m not making excuses why BD will fail and not HD DVD were it to win the war. My point all along has been that BD has some serious price obstacles that HD DVD didn’t have, and those price obstacles don’t appear to be going anywhere since now there is little incentive to lower prices.

Oh and if you using your BD30 to make judgments about upconvert quality then how do you expect anyone here to take you seriously???

You shouldn't count *people*, you count *households*. As of the last census, as I recall, there are roughly 110 million households (makes sense since the average family/household consists of 3.x people).

As for there being 25 million HDTVs in the US, I'd like to see a source for that number. I don't believe it.

You shouldn't count *people*, you count *households*. As of the last census, as I recall, there are roughly 110 million households (makes sense since the average family/household consists of 3.x people).

As for there being 25 million HDTVs in the US, I'd like to see a source for that number. I don't believe it.

That's about right. 25% of 110M= 27.5M

About 25 percent of U.S. households own HDTVs, HD confusion continues, researcher says

Digital ENtertainment Group puts the total at about 1 in three households: 33% of 110M= 36.3M

So figure between 25M and 36M households.

S~

Last edited:
Nonsense.

The fact that they are reporting it on NHK (Japan's gov't-owned broadcasting system) means it needs to be taken seriously.

You can hang on to your emotional attatchment to a technical protocol, or you can accept the reallity of the situation. Nothing is preventing you from enjoying the HD-DVD HW and movies you have now, or that which is still available. But, the fact is, no new models of player will be released, and no new titles will be added that aren't already too far down the manufacturing chain to cancel.

Get over it. Deal with it. Move on. Stop whining.

And, you BD fan boys. Stop gloating. YOU didn't win sh*t. Sony did, and at great cost. And, they have a multitude of other problems to overcome.