Toshiba Goes Ahead With Its HD DVD Plans...

The whole blue ray thing goes back to Sony so I won't support it.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a few movies in the past that said something to the effect of Sony Pictures or something like that.

In fact here is a link Sony Pictures
Oops, I was editing and deleted the word ALL. Sure some of them are, I mean not ALL of them are

Isn't Buena Vista part of Disney? It seems like an odd candidate to switch sides.

yeah it is part of disney, but thats one of the bigger studios i could see moving. i can't see Warner Bros making another move, obviousely not Sony Pictures or BMG, and i can't see Fox (don't ask why) making any moves.

yeah it is part of disney, but thats one of the bigger studios i could see moving. i can't see Warner Bros making another move, obviousely not Sony Pictures or BMG, and i can't see Fox (don't ask why) making any moves.

I don't think Disney (and by extension, Buena Vista) is going anywhere. They've been Blu from the beginning, have marketed it pretty heavily, and have already announced some big releases for Blu-Ray later in the year...

Disney and Buena Vista, in your dreams, they will not move....their stuff is selling way too well on blu-ray to switch to HD-DVD...

Disney and Buena Vista, in your dreams, they will not move....their stuff is selling way too well on blu-ray to switch to HD-DVD...

In our dreams is right... Toshiba didn't put region coding into HD DVD. If so, Disney likely would've been neutral to start things right.

However, Ratatouille was a disappointment. Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End did VERY WELL on SD DVD and Blu-Ray. :up

All of Hi Def is 2% of the disk sales. So no ones stuff is selling well.

nonrev, this is the HD-DVD/Blu-ray warzone, not DVD vs HD-DVD/Blu-ray.
Your comment doesn't have any ground here.
We are talking about HD-DVD vs Blu-ray.

Oh, it's much less than that, 0.5% to be exact... 1700 million vs. 8.4 million (1.5*5.6) with one movie being twice the price (~$15 vs. ~$30)
I wouldn't be surprised if BD doesn't reach 2% this year (the BDA prognosis is 2.5%)... Have a look at the links in this post and above it
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-...sy-2008-npd-says-not-so-fast.html#post1183635

Diogen.

Bogo's will do the job if any, and there are several movies that are under the 20$ mark on amazon and few other places.
Wal-mart, CC, BB have few movies that are under 20$ and they sell well.
People need to look at the future, not backwards, why so much hatred towards BD? People hate BD so much that they want BD to fail and DVD to be the successor?
This doesn't make any sense.

Bogo's will do the job if any, and there are several movies that are under the 20$ mark on amazon and few other places.
Wal-mart, CC, BB have few movies that are under 20$ and they sell well.
I wasn't talking particular movies. BD sold 5.6 million discs for $170 million (in 2007). That makes it ~$30 per disc. Probably some of it was swallowed by the studios/Sony (BOGOs), but that can't continue forever. Somewhere down the road this new tech either should make money (at the moment hardly anybody makes money in HDM) or it will be abandoned.
...why so much hatred towards BD?
Beats me. Probably for the same reason people hate other products...
People hate BD so much that they want BD to fail and DVD to be the successor?
Posturing. This will go away as soon as BD delivers on its promisses. If this happens...

Diogen.

As many as 5 smaller studios could be on the block this year--Lionsgate, MGM, Dreamworks, Weinstein and Pixar. I don't see Disney letting Pixar go. Dreamworks will not likely leave Paramount and go to Universal. Most analyst see Lionsgate going first. Who would buy them? Universal? Fox? Sony? Disney? Warner already has New Line to take risks. Those five studios have STRONG balance sheets. (Times have changed! Columbia, Fox and Universal were all in the toilet at some point in the last 25-30 years.)

I would laugh if Universal bought Lionsgate and re-released everything as HD DVD.

I would laugh if Universal bought Lionsgate and re-released everything as HD DVD.
Talking about Lionsgate (and off topic)... they have a good looking new intro for their movies.
Would be nice to have a Blender file for it as there are for Fox, Universal and Disney movies...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)