Tree has grown since install interfering with signal Dtv will do nothing for free

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RSorak

Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
TN
When my sat dish was installed I noticed that it wouldnt be a year or 3 before the tree it was aimed over would be blocking the signal. I mentioned this to the installer and he shrugged his shoulders. Well the time has come and its beginning to interfere with my signal. It my neighbhors tree and is over 100 ft tall so trimming the tree is not easy or cheap. I called DTV and asked what they could do as far as moving the dish. Costs $49 and only could get $25 off by threatening to disconnect my service.....My problem is there's no where on the roof to put the dish thats not blocked by trees anymore. I need a pole mounted dish about 100 ft away from the house. What's the cheapest way to get this done? Will DTV do anything if I call customer retention?

Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
Considering 100 feet of trenching, I think $49 is a fair price. I'm not sure that DISH would do it for free on a new install.

It IS their problem if they loose my business over this issue!!

They have not looked at it yet and its only my guess that a pole is the only solution. i.e. they have not agreed to do anything, and have not looked at it. The southern expose from my roof is all getting blocked by trees and as I see it, the dish must be moved to the base of the trees. i guess I will be switching to Comcast eventually over this issue.

$50 is a bargain and I bet when the installer shows up and sees the situation it will grow significantly. No way someone is going to trench 100ft of cable and set up a dish for $50.

My advice is to go to home depot, get the cable, run it yourself or hire some cheap labor and have the guy come out from direct to only do the pole and dish mount.

That is going to be a lot of labor. Try doing it yourself and you'll have an appreciation for the work and why they charge significantly more for runs like that as it is far from standard installation.

If they want your business?? Guess what in some situations they might not want your business and just walk away.Seems to me in this situation if you want their service you will have to pay $$$. If you can get it for $50 go for it,but moving a dish to a pole and trenching 100ft? Good luck with that for little or no money good luck with that.

You're getting off pretty well with only $49 for a long term solution. Just pay it. Your monthly service is probably double that, to put it into perspective.

No one has said they will fix this for $50, please read the thread before replying

No one has said they will fix this for $50, please read the thread before replying

I will start by reiterating; you may or may not get DirecTV to send out a contractor for FREE or even cheap to change or move your current install as they are NOT responsible for the situation you listed in the original post.

Since you edited your post after all the other posts. Why not start over and asking us exactly what it is you want to know?

"I called DTV and asked what they could do as far as moving the dish. Costs $49 and only could get $25 off by threatening to disconnect my service.."

I did reread it and it says the same thing as when I read it the first time. If you want another suggestion, find out where in your yard you're not SW exposure blocked, dig a hole, put a fence pole in it, sink some concrete and attach the dish to it. Then buy some RG-6 and run the coax to your home. Worst case is you have to buy an inline preamp for the long cable run. If you take some initiative you'll be fine.

I did reread it and it says the same thing as when I read it the first time. If you want another suggestion, find out where in your yard you're not SW exposure blocked, dig a hole, put a fence pole in it, sink some concrete and attach the dish to it. Then buy some RG-6 and run the coax to your home. Worst case is you have to buy an inline preamp for the long cable run. If you take some initiative you'll be fine.

I think you meant to quote the OP and not me?? Anyway to the OP, the above is a great suggestion, and by "fence post" make sure you don't think this means to use a wood 4x4; as that can weather warp.

I like the move it myself idea. If I choose to retain DTV that will probably be the route I choose. Any more detail on what kind of pole to mount the dish to? Would the trunk of a very large tree (So large and so close to the ground that I'm sure it doesn't sway in the wind) work for a mounting point?

I like the move it myself idea. If I choose to retain DTV that will probably be the route I choose. Any more detail on what kind of pole to mount the dish to? Would the trunk of a very large tree (So large and so close to the ground that I'm sure it doesn't sway in the wind) work for a mounting point?

You need a pole with an od of 2". Some use muffler pipe, which is 2". Others use 2" fence post, which is actually slightly smaller. I used it and it works well, but you have to use some flashing to make the diameter large enough to properly tighten the mount. Make sure to dig to the frost line in your area and either flatten the end of the pole or run a bolt through it to keep it from spinning. Use at least two bags of cement, the quick setting type is easy to use. Check carefully to get the pole plumb. This is very important! I'll post a picture of a post level, which is the best tool to use to make sure it's plumb. After the cement sets simply transfer your dish from where it is to the new pole. Aligning it by eye for the azimuth will likely get it close enough to get a signal on 101. Then carefully move it left and right until the signal strengths on 99c and 103ca/cb are the best you can get them.

postlevel.jpg

50 bucks is a bargain because by the time he gets the materials he is gonna be in the 100 dollar range between pole cable and concrete

memory said:
50 bucks is a bargain because by the time he gets the materials he is gonna be in the 100 dollar range between pole cable and concrete

That's only what Directv is going to charge. The tech will prolly charge around $75 for the pole then $1 a foot to bury the cable

That's only what Directv is going to charge. The tech will prolly charge around $75 for the pole then $1 a foot to bury the cable

What, D* doesn't supply your tech with posts and concrete ?
I can't believe the guy is gonna run down to the local hardware to buy the stuff to do the job.

As far as the $49, that is cheap. You need to keep in mind, this type of thing on a service call takes more time. Service techs are paid by job, so this takes more time than the normal service call would. Hence the reason they charge custom labor. Things like cable burial, wall fishing and...pole mounts are all "extra". And honestly, according to our rate sheet for us to do a pole mount it's $75. So my recommendation is pay the fee or do it yourself.

Being a service tech myself, this is stump idea of yours is definitely not recommended.

IF, you do it yourself just use a 6 foot long, 2" diameter pipe. Dig a hole 2 to 2 1/2 feet deep. Flatten out the end of the pipe (with a sledgehammer) you'll be putting in the hole so that it doesn't spin / turn in the cement. Put the pole in the hole and use a level to make sure it's plumb. Get yourself a bag of quick dry cement. Follow the directions on the bag to mix the stuff. Make sure you have everything done BEFORE you mix the cement. The stuff starts to set extremely quickly. Pour in the cement and as I said, make sure the pipe is as perfectly straight as you can get it while it dries. Hope that helps.

What, D* doesn't supply your tech with posts and concrete ?
I can't believe the guy is gonna run down to the local hardware to buy the stuff to do the job.

Yes the warehouse supplies both. Doesn't change that it gets charged to the customer. On installs if it's [pole mount] something the customer requests, they get charged. Usually unless it's a situation where a polemount is the only option for a good signal window, then it will most times be done for free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.