Tree has grown since install interfering with signal Dtv will do nothing for free

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As stated yes, they provide it all but the only time I've ever charged a customer for a pole mount is if they're just straight turd bags. I won't bury any cable without being paid though unless it's only about 10-20 ft

As far as the $49, that is cheap. You need to keep in mind, this type of thing on a service call takes more time. Service techs are paid by job, so this takes more time than the normal service call would. Hence the reason they charge custom labor. Things like cable burial, wall fishing and...pole mounts are all "extra". And honestly, according to our rate sheet for us to do a pole mount it's $75. So my recommendation is pay the fee or do it yourself.

Being a service tech myself, this is stump idea of yours is definitely not recommended.

IF, you do it yourself just use a 6 foot long, 2" diameter pipe. Dig a hole 2 to 2 1/2 feet deep. Flatten out the end of the pipe (with a sledgehammer) you'll be putting in the hole so that it doesn't spin / turn in the cement. Put the pole in the hole and use a level to make sure it's plumb. Get yourself a bag of quick dry cement. Follow the directions on the bag to mix the stuff. Make sure you have everything done BEFORE you mix the cement. The stuff starts to set extremely quickly. Pour in the cement and as I said, make sure the pipe is as perfectly straight as you can get it while it dries. Hope that helps.

Yes the warehouse supplies both. Doesn't change that it gets charged to the customer. On installs if it's [pole mount] something the customer requests, they get charged. Usually unless it's a situation where a polemount is the only option for a good signal window, then it will most times be done for free.

I'd rather do Pole mount any day, much better AND SAFER.

Jimbo said:
I'd rather do Pole mount any day, much better AND SAFER.

I'd do a pole mount over a roof any day too! I hate sticking holes in a roof for a dish. Being service I don't do a whole lot anymore but I still try to convince the customer to let me put it on a pole if I have to relocate the dish

So the way I read this is that they wanted to charge $50 and you got them to take off $25 so the net cost will only be $25?

Thats a bargain for them to come out and move your Dish.

If it needs a pole mount, just play dumb and the technician will probably not even charge you for the pole mount if its required.

When my sat dish was installed I noticed that it wouldnt be a year or 3 before the tree it was aimed over would be blocking the signal. I mentioned this to the installer and he shrugged his shoulders. Well the time has come and its beginning to interfere with my signal. It my neighbhors tree and is over 100 ft tall so trimming the tree is not easy or cheap. I called DTV and asked what they could do as far as moving the dish. Costs $49 and only could get $25 off by threatening to disconnect my service.....My problem is there's no where on the roof to put the dish thats not blocked by trees anymore. I need a pole mounted dish about 100 ft away from the house. What's the cheapest way to get this done? Will DTV do anything if I call customer retention?

Thanks
Rick

I think everyone missed the point that he pointed this out to the original installer and the installer didn't care. IMHO since the original installer did not properly install the dish to work in the future it should be Directv's responsibilty to correct this.

But how long did it last? If its 2 years I can't see the issue. It would make sense to place it somewhere that is going to last longer but if it made it through the contract I can't really see what's wrong

I think everyone missed the point that he pointed this out to the original installer and the installer didn't care. IMHO since the original installer did not properly install the dish to work in the future it should be Directv's responsibilty to correct this.

But how long did it last? If its 2 years I can't see the issue. It would make sense to place it somewhere that is going to last longer but if it made it through the contract I can't really see what's wrong
I gotta think, hope that they are looking for a sub to be LONG time, not just finish the commitment.
I'm kinda leaning with Infoman at this point, IF D* understands that he didn't want it there in the first place and mentioned that to the original installer, if they understand his original position they may move it for him.
That said, $50 is cheap, if he goes to a Local installer, they would also charge at least $50.

I did notice it, but didn't say anything because I didn't want to stir the pot. BTW, I'm not saying that you are info411man. If the op noticed that the trees were that close during the original install, he should have stopped it then.

there are subs and there are subs of subs and theres a big difference between the two. a sub from a large company was probably required to foresee about 5 years of tree clearance during your install, but im no tree growth expert myself so 2 years is not too bad.. having seen the tree issue he or she would probably have placed the dish out on a pole as you suggested and then dug a 100ft trench. this sub is not going to be able to charge you anything as he is getting paid a set amount by his company to do the install, except for the actual trench which may be 1 to 2 dollars per foot after the first 25 feet or so.. your fee for the service call will be a set amount and so will the sub's except for the trench part, unless you tell them otherwise and get some type of upgrade. a sub-sub is another story and the fee will probably be a little higher considering everything he or she gives you was bought out of his or her pocket.

you have to consider that whoever it was, may or may not have seen the issue but probably wanted to get paid for the job.. sometimes customers don't quite understand that with heavy trees satellite signals are a privilege.

you also have to consider that the fee they are placing upon you is a direct result of you turning down the personal protection plan.. if you had the plan im pretty sure they would have moved the dish for free.. otherwise you are always going to be charged to have them roll a van out somewhere with materials to be burned. directv in particular is the largest satellite tv dealer.. they want your money but they really dont need it.

i would personally consider that moving the dish yourself probably wont be worth it, unless you want to ensure the best line burial possibly, as a 100ft is no easy trenching. putting it on a tree is not a good idea because trees slowly grow. putting it anywhere other than directv's standardization will result in the tech having to relocate it anyway during a service call if it is ever QC'd by the subs supervisors. if you dont have a satellite meter then you would have to play that game of having someone stand in front of the signal meter screen while you move it all around, and with the HD dishes that just aint going to work buddy.. at that point after some time of weathering u may end up having to call them back yet again to have a tech come re-peak your dish where you will be charged yet again.

having said all that i'd say the answer is simple, pay them the fee to have them move it, understanding that its not quite a fair situation, but considering the actual options the price is quite a fair deal. cancelling the service and going with any other dealer is probably going to cost you much more, and possibly more of the same hassle.

I saw this mentioned earlier, but here's my experience with LOS. My initial install was a huge headache and trees were to blame. They current LOS was good but the tech said he couldn't guarantee it would be a clear LOS for 2 years. So he would have his manager stop by to check. I asked about the 2 year deal, he said DTV requires them to have 2 years or they would have to move it or cancel the contract. Not sure how accurate that is, but something I kept in mind just in case we had issues. Almost 2 years later we are going strong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts