trouble with second receiver (301)

pderkacz

Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Help, this is my first post.

Just completed a home remodel and reconnected my second receiver (a 301) after being offline for about 6 months. Previously had dishnetwork out who reconnected my first receiver (a dvr) which works fine.

The 301 only gets a few channels. When I do a check switch it only sees one sattelite (110) alot of the time. (Sometimes it will see 119 also-but that doesn't make a difference). Anyways when I change the physical location of the 1st receiver to the room where the second receiver is connected it seems to work ok. The second receiver (301) does the same thing no matter where it is.

btw- I also installed a radioshack passive multiswitch

All suggestions appreciated

TIA

pat

Remove the multiswitch and see how it works. You can only use dishnetwork switches.

second reciever problems

Leave the 301 connected but turned off it may need to do a software download after being out of the data stream.

Bob A

Already did that. I did have an outdated software version. Did not make a difference.

Wonder why the DVR works fine and the 301 doesn't even though both are receiving the signal through the radioshack switch.

thanks

pat

second receiver problems

Remove the multiswitch and see how it works. You can only use dishnetwork switches.

Pils,

thanks for the reply. I will try that tonight, but I wonder why the DVR works fine and the 301 doesn't when they both recieve the signal from the radioshack switch

pat

Pils,

thanks for the reply. I will try that tonight, but I wonder why the DVR works fine and the 301 doesn't when they both recieve the signal from the radioshack switch

pat
Radio Shack sells DISH Network but they also sell accessories for Directv. What switch do you have from Radio Shack? A DP34 or DPP44 would be DISH switches that should work. A 3x4 multiswitch would be a Directv type switch that won't work with DISH. If you have a single tuner DVR you don't need a switch the dish should support 2 receivers. If you have a 522, 625, or 622 it is a dual tuner and probably has 2 lines run from the dish requiring a switch for additional receivers.:)

2d receiver problem

Pils,
the dvr is a 508. however, I plan on hooking up a third receiver after the remodel (hence the switch).

Not sure what kind of switch it is. Here is a link to the radioshack product site describing the switch
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?summary=summary&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=
features&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&accessories=
accessories&productId=2103100&support=support&tab=summary

it is called a satellite passive multiswitch, part no. 16-2571
the box says it is for a dual lnb system, it actually has a dish network dish pictured in the installation instructions.

pat

2d receiver problem

That switch is not compatible with Dish Network equipment. You'll need a DP34 or DPP44 like Bob suggested.

OK, I still wonder why the 508 works even though the signal is going through the switch and the 301 doesn't.

I checked on ebay and there are a bunch of dp34 switches. It seems like there are several different models. (dishpro/superdish/dish 500) Are they all compatible with my Dish 500 dish and dual LNB? Or are they different.

BTW- I plan on upgrading to a new receiver, maybe a 322 or one with dual tuner capacity with a dvr, does that affect anything?

Thanks for all the help,

pat

Some switches work with Dish Network legacy LNBs. You still haven't told us what LNBs you have. If the LNB has a DP in the front that means it's a Dish Pro LNB and that switch won't work. If it doesn't, then that means it's a legacy LNB and the switch may work.

A DP34 works with Dish Pro equipment. Your 508 and 301 are DP receivers. If you want to run a single cable to the 322 (dual tuner) you should get the DPP44 but it's more expensive than the DP34 switch. If you decide on the DP34, you will need to run two cables to the 322.

You guys are great. Sure enough, I took the radioshack switch out and it works fine.]:)

thanks-I spent most of the day yesterday banging my head against the wall (figuratively)

pat

Pils,

pat

Mine is doing the exact same thing. :confused: No radio shack switch though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)