Trying to make a decision to go HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skewed

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
My brith day is coming soon and like a kid , I still get money from my parents. I have narrowed it down to 1) a captain because it is under 200 and available today at that price or a 2) Diamond hd if I can find one for 200 or less. I know the diamond does dvb-s2 and the captain does not and it woould be a better box but I have not seen any on ebay in last couple of weeks and if there is not one on when I get ready to buy I may just jump the gun with impatience. What i really want to know is will it be of any use for ku until I get my birdview up? I know about the C-band hd stuff and that is my ultamate goal and I know about the pbs stuff but I am talking about the feeds. I have ran across PLENTY of feeds that were hd but I have no way of knowing if they were 4:2:2 or regular hd. I guess to narrow it down I am after CFB games in specific. I know a member here has a qualitv here for sale and I hate to pass it up if it is what I really need. I was told at least once this year that a feed I wanted was 4:2:2 because it had a "tearing" screen. But since I did not have HD I really did not put into my memory bank what was HD or 4:2:2, as at the time it did not matter since I could not watch any of them.

No box does 422 except the one you mentioned as far as I know..Coolsat does the dvbs2 out of the box but that that is not 422.

I would like to see a list of dvbs-2 stb's put up but that could be alot of work without member help.I myself know I do not have one but wish I did.

I should mention that the reciever you were talking about is at 355 now with a week to go.It will go higher so that blows the budget if your like me.

andy is right. AFAIK, only the quali does 4:2:2 but it is $$$$. Check out the reviews section to find out a little more about some of the different boxes.

walk before you run ?

If you are just starting out and have no receivers now, how about a Coolsat 5000, Fortec Star Dynamic or Mercury II (or Visionsat IV-200 if you prefer a PVR)?

Then if you are computer savvy, later on add a receiver card to a decent PC.
It'll get more stuff (HD, S2, 4:2:2), be able to record, and you won't be at the mercy of the inadequately supported STBs.
A computer for a first FTA receiver is a really bad idea especially for a beginner. (speaking from experience)
But if you have a good blindscan STB, which can run motors and switches, that's another matter.

According to this post, the Visionsat will record HD (it cannot display it) for playback on a PC. That is a very useful function when you consider that the Visionsat can be purchased for under $100, unlike "real" HD receivers. It is also a blind scan-capable receiver with good reviews by members here who own it.

Anole , None of the recivers you suggested are High Def units. I have found 2 different brands of true high def machines that sell for under 200.

I was just wondering if I will get much use out of it right now as I am only set up on KU. I will not be able to put up my birdview until spring and even then I want to take my time and do the install right.

As I said earlier I am aware of the HD pbs's on KU and I know there is alot of HD content on Cband, but I was really asking about the feeds, not specific info about the feeds, but for those of you who often look for feeds do you find your fair share of "standard" HD feeds or is it mainly 4:2:2? I know I have found some in the past but I have no way of knowing if there standard HD or 4:2:2.

ok its fairly easy to find a receiver that will do one or the other but none (STB) do both ....
so the solution for now seems to be a pc based one and wait for the market to either catch up or pan out the equipment we need .

feeds from what i've experenced on KU and trying to catch a game ( or two) tend to work like this.

4:2:2 30%
HD 30%
DVB 25%
scrambled 10%
Analog 5%

these #'s are just from my scans only from ku ( plus analog from c-band) while mine was working )

thats why a pc based solution might be the best for now. it gets most of the feeds you might have to learn working with a software and you would have to manually input feeds ( i used my scans from a coolsat 5000)

I'd like to build a HTPC but don't want to use Microsoft. The Myth based Linux boxes seem to be having a problem with S2. I guess the Myth coders are a little behind too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA, Program Title and PID

Has anyone used Captain 8000 HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)