TT Files not shareable on WinXP home edition

EJ K

Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hi, I'm having a strange problem with the mp3 files TimeTrax Recast creates.
First of all, the software is working great. I'm running Recast 1.4, and I have no issues recording or scheduling, and have been grabbing Stern plus hundreds of mp3s reliably. It's set up on a dedicated WinXP Home machine with 2x120GB drives. I can play any of the files on that machine without incident.
I have the root TimeTrax recording directory shared so I can listen to files throughout my network. Here arises the problem: some files play fine on other machines (both Windows and Mac), while copying or accessing other files returns a "source file may be in use" type error. This happens even if I turn off TT, reboot, toggle file sharing, etc.
The one thing I've found that fixes the problem is to copy all the noted files to another Temp directory, then copy them back to their original directory. Once I've done that, the files are accessible no problem. But to manually refresh all new TT files in this way obviously gets annoying.
The other thing I tried is a free app called FreeFile, that frees up files locked by a process. This was unsuccesful - the files do not appear to be locked. I'm always logged in with Administrator access, just in case you thought that could be the issue.
I realize this is probably a WinXP issue, not a TT issue, but I'm hoping someone's seen this before or otherwise has some insight. Thanks a lot!

This has defintely been seen before. I couldn't nail down any info on a quick search, but I'm going to dig a little deeper. I know it was something that can be resolved.

Anyone else out there seen and resolved this issue?

David K.
TT

I had the same issue, could not play the saved TT mp3's on any remote machine (W2K & XP Home).
The machine running TT is WinXP Pro with simple file sharing enabled. The folder that TT saves the files to is shared read/write. These files could be listed from another computer on the network, but nothing else.
If the file was copied, even to the same folder, those copied files could then be played, renamed, etc. from the remote computers.

I fixed my issue by resetting file permissions on the shared folder.

Same problem - no solution

I have the same problem where i cannot copy or play Timetrax MP3's over a network.

I had a dedicated Win98 machine for a while and just built a new dedicated Timtrax machine on XP. I can copy or play all MP3's recorded from the 98 machine (they were copied over to the XP machine) but cannot copy or play any files created by Timetrax 3.4 or Recast on the new XP machine over the network.

This is some kind of DRM but I cannot figure it out. It cannot be a general permission or share problem because I can play a file created on the 98 machine over the network that is stored in the same folder.

This is file specific. Any ideas?

I have had this issue in the past with Windows XP and the other solution had solved the problem almsot everytime, once the directory and permissions below and ALL files below are reset - the problem goes away.

Not sure about this issue with TimeTrax Only - I have a seperate process that copies files over to a network share for me - so I do not need to connect to the machine via a share to grab the files...

Sorry - hope it helps a little.

Thanks.

I have tried resetting the permissions with no luck. If I copy to somewhere else and then move back all the files are fixed for network access. A workaround but kind of annoying. Maybe my next step is to create a new directory and point the TT files to that and see what happens.

I logged a case with TT CS so maybe they will come up with something.

TheWeebs said:
Thanks.
I have tried resetting the permissions with no luck. If I copy to somewhere else and then move back all the files are fixed for network access. A workaround but kind of annoying. Maybe my next step is to create a new directory and point the TT files to that and see what happens.
I logged a case with TT CS so maybe they will come up with something.

This might be a silly suggestion/question - but you did check to adjust the properties of all files and folder below the folder.

What I suspect is that for somer reason the files are being created with LESS Permissions than that of the folder, and the hierarchy of that crap is that the LESS perms superceed those of that in the folder (I think) :) - so you might have to reset the folder and below. What makes it even more confusing is if the folder is inheriting perms from above you have to break that chain and then reset perms on the folder.

Sorry - just kinda rambling there.

Find the temporary folder where TimeTrax is actually recording the files, not the final folder where it copies them when it is done. Check the rights on the temporary folder. There's a good chance that the copy is preserving the rights that the file inherited when it was created, and not the folder it is copied into by TT.

Wow. This gets even more strange.

- Already tried reassigning permissions and properties of the folders with no fix
- Found the TT Temp directory and network shared it - no fix

Get this....I record on a new channel so a new folder under the TT MP3 shard folder is created. Record one song. Go to a networked computer where users have rights to modify. Cannot play new song through share. Tried to delete the new folder via share and cannot. Go to TT machine and move the new folder (decades - 70's) to a new location under the master share and move it back. Look at folder via shared computer and now I can delete folder or file.

This is a odd TT thing for sure.

Just got a response from TT on this case.

The good news is the CS tech has the problem on his machine.
The bad news is there is no fix from their side (yet?!).

But hey, at least they got a machine to work on. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)