Tulsa and OKC Dish customers could once again lose the Griffin stations.

I think it's extortion and greed on the part of the stations, pure and simple. They're in a position to negotiate and they do so. Right or wrong, they're capitalizing on their ability to take providers to the cleaners. I agree with the posters who say that the nets should cover the areas that they're supposed to cover; their primary responsibility is to be OTA services, right? It's said that the new NBC O&O in Boston doesn't even cover all of Boston proper. These stations ARE acting like they dont care about their signal penetration anymore. They can blame the DTV transition for some of the reception issues people have. They aren't allowed to broadcast with more than a million watts of power, so covering more than 70-80 miles reliably well is really tough. But if they aren't broadcasting at max power and claiming to cover areas they should be, that's wrong IMO. Sounds like the only way to get around some of these issues is with the FCC

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I don't like them telling half truths that all this money goes to them keeping things local with no mention that they are sending 50% plus back to the Networks in reverse compensation. They cite all these shows we will miss if they are not on sat/cable, yet we miss them already as they take every chance they can get to preempt them for weather or some other sensationalized breaking news story.

I just had to laugh on the local fox webpage from cox media for their dealings with ATT/Directv. They say they just made a long term deal with cox to carry the locals at fair market value and that's all they're asking from Uverse and directv. So they made a deal with themselves to carry their own locals and they are using that as an example.

You know something is wrong when 4 of the 7 big networks are about to be pulled in one DMA from providers. Plus I'm sure they'll pull the sub channels off too if the providers carry them.

They aren't allowed to broadcast with more than a million watts of power, so covering more than 70-80 miles reliably well is really tough.
Actually I think each station is licensed for a specific power, not everyone gets 1M watts.

But if they aren't broadcasting at max power and claiming to cover areas they should be, that's wrong IMO.
Agreed. But you'd have to do some research to find out if stations aren't broadcasting at their maximum ALLOWED power.

3) Dish doesn't care about you and being able to see the locals. If they did, they would allow subscribers who use OTA to utilize the PSIP data that is included in the OTA signal.
During these disputes, Dish does now provide a separate guide data stream for the OTA version of the channel, while putting the guide info about the dispute on the satellite version only. They started doing this during the Tribune dispute this summer.

During these disputes, Dish does now provide a separate guide data stream for the OTA version of the channel, while putting the guide info about the dispute on the satellite version only. They started doing this during the Tribune dispute this summer.

Makes sense, since they were literally giving away free OTA antennas during that dispute

Reactions: pattykay
Was watching channel 6 in Tulsa. I looked up when I saw this from the 10 o'clock news, "Negotiations are at a standstill. Most likely channel 6 will go off DISH at midnight. www.keepnewson6.com"
I like the original model of local channels being OTA only. This is an inconvenience for the customers, but it is this television station's call. I am able to live without them. Good riddance.

Was watching channel 6 in Tulsa. I looked up when I saw this from the 10 o'clock news, "Negotiations are at a standstill. Most likely channel 6 will go off DISH at midnight. www.keepnewson6.com"
I like the original model of local channels being OTA only. This is an inconvenience for the customers, but it is this television station's call. I am able to live without them. Good riddance.

It's like baseball players who complain because they feel they aren't being paid the "value they are worth." It seems rather petty to fans and so do these disputes.

Reactions: tornado
Make the stations put a signal up that covers all the area they claim. They are easy to receive with an indoor antenna if your within 35 miles of Coweta, but of course they all claim areas down to the south of McAlester and north into Kansas along the border and out west to Ponca City. You have to be a nasa engineer to get a decent signal in some of those areas.
You are 100% correct. I am in McAlester and I have three antennae with two amps and it is impossible to get KJRH down here. Mostly impossible to get KOKI. KOTV and KTUL have a repeater 5 miles north of town. I don't know who had the idea about the repeaters, but at least something.
But whoever thinks that with a few KW of output to go 75+ miles over hilly terrain is an imbecile and has no idea how radio transmission works. Go get a job flipping burgers instead!

BTW, KOTV on Dish is gone, and with it the programming info. But antenna signal is working.

Actually I think each station is licensed for a specific power, not everyone gets 1M watts.

Agreed. But you'd have to do some research to find out if stations aren't broadcasting at their maximum ALLOWED power.
KJRH has a measly 8KW. How is this supposed to go 75 miles? That is not just stupid, it's ignorant!

KJRH used to have translators back in the analog days but didn't bring any into the digital era. They went to full power when they finally shut the analog signal off. kjrh was operating at lower power before the analog changeover and KJRH had to wait for ktul analog shut off on channel 8 before they could go full power and move to digital channel 8. They were on a temporary digital channel before that.

It's like baseball players who complain because they feel they aren't being paid the "value they are worth." It seems rather petty to fans and so do these disputes.

I see nothing close to your analogy......Its millionaires fighting with billionaires!
When we see teams making hundreds of millions of off there fruits of there labor they just want a cut....as if it wasnt for the players no one would watch a bunch of old guys playing geriatric baseball!

Congress indirectly caused this problem, and only they can fix it......And why would they?....as long as there pockets get greased they wont change a thing......Just one of many parts of the hollowing out of the middle class.

Too bad we can not choose which locals we want. I never watch OKC 52 but will end up costing me more when they do have to settle with griffin for CBS.

I see nothing close to your analogy......Its millionaires fighting with billionaires!
When we see teams making hundreds of millions of off there fruits of there labor they just want a cut....as if it wasnt for the players no one would watch a bunch of old guys playing.

NFL has salary caps and it works just fine.

I dont have the guide on my CBS or Channel 52. It was several days later the guide showed up last time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts