Tuners available, starting recording still switches channels

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
While watching on one tuner and two tuners available, a new scheduled recording starting will switch from what is being watched to what is being recorded. It does not matter what you select on the pop-up notice or if you ignore it and select nothing, it always changes the channel. It happens on both Hopper 2K's. I realize why it does this while recording more than one show in a row on the same channel but that is not the case here. Is this a known bug or is it being discussed elsewhere on this site (if so, where)?

Last edited:
I didn't mention this earlier. When the red button is selected to see why the channel changed, it shows one tuner available, one tuner recording and one tuner watching and recording.

The following quote is from carpexnoctem. Maybe this explains the situation better than I did.

"The biggest pain for me is tuners getting stuck with '...is about to begin recording' which treats it as if it is recording when it's actually not and ties up the tuner so you cannot use it until a reset -- had it happen twice this week. This is a guaranteed way to miss a show and even more insulting is you can't record it because it will tell you 'Recording in progress'. It still shows events which aren't actually recording with a red dot indicating they are recording in the Daily Schedule. This becomes an issue because if you restart the Hopper it will begin recording."

Just had an similar unusual event on my system yesterday. I was working in the garage and had the TV tuned to one of the Sirius music channels. TV is on a regular Joey. I wasn't looking directly at the TV, but heard it switch to another channel on its own, and I recognized it as one of my timers firing. Seemed like an odd time for all five tuners to be in use, so I hit the red button, only to find that all four other tuners elsewhere (HWS and SJ) were free, showing "available" and doing nothing. Seemed odd that it felt the need to interrupt my Garage Joey viewing, when every other tuner was available at the time. It let me change the channel back w/o cancelling the recording, though.

I had this happen recently as well. Listening to a SiriusXM channel and the channel changed to start recording. Two tuners were free, but it switched by current channel anyway.

My original post didn't have Sirius in mind but it seems that it may also be a similar problem.

Let me explain our problem again. For example, my grandson (1 year old) loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (MMC) so we record it so we have it on hand. It's on in the afternoon when nothing else is recording. While watching something on tv and MMC is about to start recording, we get the notice that it is going to start recording. Then, the channel changes to MMC. When TV Activity is checked, it shows MMC, recording on one tuner, MMC, watching and recording another tuner and the third tuner as being available.

The question/problem is, why does the channel being watched have to change when this happens?

This same scenario plays out for me also. I am still on S342. I hope S501 fixes this problem. It is annoying. I tried to cancel one of the two tuners shown as recording the same program so I could record something else. It ended up cancelling both of the tuners so I missed the beginning of that show.

I went through this last night. Joey changes channels and won't change back because all tuners are in use. Two of the tuners were in use recording episodes of shows that already recorded earlier that evening and wern't actually recording at all. They had a red dot in the guide saying they were though. There was no way to stop them since they were not in any recordings folder so I had to go into the timer list and deleting the timer completely. I was seriously screaming at that Joey last night and ready to throw it out the window.

I had a new one happen last night. I was watching a recorded show on the DVR and had a notice pop saying that something was about to start recording. Next thing I know the show I was watching switched off and the channel turned to one of my OTA stations. First and only time that has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has happened to me on 3 times too. All 3 times there should have been a tuner free and it shouldn't have requested that I allow the recording to happen on the tuner I was watching. It started recording the show I wanted to record, which was Fargo, but then it switched over to the channel I was watching and recorded the rest of that program. It has happened this way all 3 times before the latest software update. Hopefully the update fixes the problem.

Happened to me a few times on an original Hopper (1.0), so not limited to HWS. At least the thing is now recording extra minute at end even if two recordings back to back on the same channel, which means it as to take that 3rd tuner that I am watching away from me. However, that is expected. What happened to me, just like the rest, was totally UNNECESSARY and a PITA because I have it on pause or step away from live TV to find the channel changed and I've missed the ending of my program.

Reactions: lazydogmot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)