tv does not support HDCP

Diversify

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
DC
This morning my Joey had the message that my tv doesn't support HDCP when I select HBO. Till yesterday evening this was working just fine. I have done a reset on the Joey, but no luck.

Try unplugging the TV and plug back in. Also if there is another HDMI input try that.

Try a different HDMI cable and see if it works. Did you also unplug the Joey when you unplugged the TV?

I did that and the tv and Joey are friend again after handshake. ;-) Thank you all.

Ok today it happend again. Only now on the Hopper and because of that the Joey couldn't find the Hopper. I have the Hopper system 19 days now and this happend twice. Is this normal, am I going to power of and reconnect the HDMI cable every other week? :(

i wonder if it has something to do with this... i know it says directv, but i wonder if the rules were being implemented for multiple providers. I notice it mentions a 4/12 date so the timing would be very much in line.

DirecTV Blocks HBO Over HDMI (without HDCP) - Zatz Not Funny!

I would contact someone at DIRT for the official reply. Maybe there's some bug.

I'm assuming there's no option to connect via component cables by swapping the hopper to the joey location??? (as a last resort)

Last edited:
i wonder if it has something to do with this... i know it says directv, but i wonder if the rules were being implemented for multiple providers. I notice it mentions a 4/12 date so the timing would be very much in line.

DirecTV Blocks HBO Over HDMI (without HDCP) - Zatz Not Funny!

I would contact someone at DIRT for the official reply. Maybe there's some bug.

I'm assuming there's no option to connect via component cables by swapping the hopper to the joey location??? (as a last resort)

Thx for the artical. Been reading more about the whole HDCP thing and of a lot good willing people getting hurt by this flawed protection. For me isn't even that bad because it is fixable but very annoying if I have to do that on a regular bassis. I was actually thinking of keeping HBO after the free trail and pay the $16, but mite as well go back to downloading there show again if this keeps up. I wonder if the software update it is doing at night, got something to do with the fact that the tv and/or receiver are losing there HDCP certificate?

This morning my Joey had the message that my tv doesn't support HDCP when I select HBO. Till yesterday evening this was working just fine. I have done a reset on the Joey, but no luck.

Thanks for the comment. Your TV itself doesn't support HDCP. any TV running HDMI cables will report this, because of copyright protection from the owner of th content. In this case it will be the production house that owns the film, or HBO, depending on who owns the rights.

History of all this:
This started when Napster got sued for fie sharing music. in 1996 The Digital Millennium Copyright Act was signed into law by President Clinton. As a part of this legislation, content providers, music and film studios and producers were required to undertake methods of protection their intellectual property rights, if they were to be protected by this law (Side note: Charlie Pride had the first copy protected music CD on the market).

The copy protection ability at the TV end is determined by signaling passed in the HDMI cable. In order to fix this, you should check the manufacturer web site to determine if the firmware in the TV can b upgraded, or updated. If so, once you have performed the update. If not, you may want to try using component cables, which may help with this issue.

:usa
:flag:

Does it matter what version of HDCP your TV supports? I have an older HDTV that supports HDCP 1.1 but I know the new sets are higher versions. Seems like HBO and others are punishing those of us with older tech.

Thanks for the comment. Your TV itself doesn't support HDCP. any TV running HDMI cables will report this, because of copyright protection from the owner of th content. In this case it will be the production house that owns the film, or HBO, depending on who owns the rights.

History of all this:
This started when Napster got sued for fie sharing music. in 1996 The Digital Millennium Copyright Act was signed into law by President Clinton. As a part of this legislation, content providers, music and film studios and producers were required to undertake methods of protection their intellectual property rights, if they were to be protected by this law (Side note: Charlie Pride had the first copy protected music CD on the market).

The copy protection ability at the TV end is determined by signaling passed in the HDMI cable. In order to fix this, you should check the manufacturer web site to determine if the firmware in the TV can b upgraded, or updated. If so, once you have performed the update. If not, you may want to try using component cables, which may help with this issue.

:flag:

Thanks for the info. At this moment I actually don't know if my TV's support HDCP, but would it not be fair to say that my tv's do support it? Because it is working 99% of the time and if I do get the message a reconnect and power reset will fix it.

Note: I just checked the manual of my main tv and it does support HDCP

Last edited:
Did you ever replace the HDMI cable?

No I did not, because at this moment I fail to understand why it has to do with any of my hardware if it works 95% of the time. And if it fails a reconnect fixes the issue. I don't mind trying that, but please explain why you think it could be the cable.

the CABLE is part of the hardware. The HDCP signal has to pass through the HDMI cable. If the cable is bad, it can therefor cause errors as the random ones you appear to have.

Tried it with other cables. But every other week I have to reconnected cables and a power restart. If I go to diagnostics under setup it says in the HDCP section "yes". So it is supported. But every other week I get the message again.

hmm, tried looking for a firmware update for the Olevia, but seems the company gone maybe? That might help fix the issue if you can find an update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)