TV ROTOR QUESTION??????

bubba108

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
la
Anybody know what the voltage is to drive a rotor? Is it AC or DC. 12 volt?
Found a cheap rotor in the paper but comes with no control box. I can rig one up if I knew the output voltage of the control box to the rotor.
Thanks!

Run of the mill Radio Shack. When I called the guy, he knows nothing
about the voltages or anything.

It's a 50 mi round trip to go get it. I live in the woods here.
Figured if most rotors ran off 12 volts , it would be worth it.

It's not as simple as you think. I think it is a 2 phase motor. Better to keep looking for a complete unit. Ususally you can get a complete tower, antenna, and rotor just for taking it down yourself.

It's not as simple as you think. I think it is a 2 phase motor. Better to keep looking for a complete unit. Ususally you can get a complete tower, antenna, and rotor just for taking it down yourself.

Thanks for the info. Didn't really think it was as easy as hooking up 12v dc to it and reversing it to go in the other direction. But was hoping it was.

If I can find one and all I have to do is climb the tower and get it, then I'll get the wife a couple of wine coolers and send her up!!

Sure would hate to give Radio Slack any of my hard earned bucks for one.

Picked up one of those digital boxes from Wally World and it works great. But aiming it for the digital signal is as crucial as aiming a small KU dish. Before I was only getting crappy analog signals off the air and that was on a good day. The digital signals seem to really come in good, also they have multiple feeds on each channel.

Rotor

Those rotor controls are ac something like 54 etc. They are synchronous type motors. Look on ebay Local Hamfest or Flea Market, I usually see a couple at those places. If it is a radio shack rotor that is 3 wire, the channel master control boxes should work as well as they used to be made by channel master.

check this out

http://cgidotebay.com/Antenna-ROTOR-Rotator-CONTROL-Box-Radio-Shack-Archer-3w_W0QQitemZ330266469423QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29833QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please replace the dot in the url with a .

http://cgidotebay.com/TV-Antenna-Rotor-Control-Channel-Master-9510_W0QQitemZ290255969177QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Personally I think your better off buying an entire new rotor and control box kit!

Worse case you don't get the voltage correct, burn it out and have to climb back up there to replace it, remove it or re-aim the antenna.

Anybody know what the voltage is to drive a rotor? Is it AC or DC. 12 volt?
Found a cheap rotor in the paper but comes with no control box. I can rig one up if I knew the output voltage of the control box to the rotor.
Thanks!
Channel Master sells a remote controlled inside control unit that works with most; if not all RS 3 wire rotors.(CM9537). It sells for under 40.00; plus shipping. Avoid the wire that CM makes for this unit. The RS wire is "much" better. I had to replace my wire after only 5 months.

Glen

Thanks everyone, I will probably go with the Channel Master box. Looks good, like the wireless control box. Mrs. Bubba saysIi got too many wires already!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)