TV2 System Info Screen on 522

maximum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Phoenix
This problem has been discussed in other posts but I thought I would give an update.

Ever since software version 2.51 my TV2 tuner will intermittently go to the system information screen for no apparent reason. While in the system info. screen, any timer set for TV2 will not fire. If TV2 is in the middle of a recording when the system info. screen comes up it won't stop recording at the end of the program.
The workaround is to set your record plus to have TV1 as the default tuner for recordings. While this is fine and dandy it means we can't rely on TV2 to record which sucks because TV1 is our main viewing tuner.

I finally got tired of this and made a couple of calls to Dish who sent out a new receiver. This is receiver number 8 I think, I'm starting to lose count. Anyway, the new receiver had the same problem, of course, so I called Dish again. They switched me to someone in advanced technical support who finally talked to someone who said they are aware of the problem and plan to fix it in their next software release. But she didn't know when that will be. I'm not holding my breath but at least they know about the problem. I did get them to waive the DVR fee this month and another credit for lost service.

Couldn't have said it better! Software L2.53 has virtually destroyed the reliability of the DVR timer in exactly the manner you have outlined. When we installed the 522 last January, it was almost unviewable due to audio lag. Since then, that problem has been almost erased, but subsequent software "updates" have introduced others. We rplaced the receiver once, but that is usually futile. Unless, and until, this system becomes reliable, I couldn't advise anyone to go to DishNet.

Dave nye said:
I wish you all uck cause my receiver has been fine.

I do as well. I read about all these issues with the 522 and have been very happy with mine for almost two years now. Guess it is good, clean, living. :D

jp7794 said:
I do as well. I read about all these issues with the 522 and have been very happy with mine for almost two years now. Guess it is good, clean, living. :D
Are you using Dual or Single mode?

I had the same problem with the System Info screen showing up, started sometime around version 2.51 or later, not 100% sure.

Two things have since happened and I don't have the problem anymore:

1) I had Dish replace the 522 because the timers were not firing or were firing but no recording was getting saved, and I was getting some hard drive clicking occassionaly.

2) I changed the UHF Remote address.

Since 2.54 arrived, we often find the "signal lost" screen on TV2 when the timer fires. Oddly, if we call up the channel selected for recording on TV2 on TV1, the "lost" signal" reappears on TV2. When we recall the original TV1 channel, TV2 then loses the channel, and again displays the "signal lost" screen. We are in dual mode, with TV2 selected as the preferred DVR. If channel 300 (main HBO) is selected to record, it always shows "signal lost". Reboots haven't helped, and this is our 2nd receiver. We have had this system for 10 months, and it gets less dependable as time passes.

Our 522 just got the 2.54 update today. I was hoping it would fix the problem but it sounds like it just introduced new problems. Standard procedure for DISH products.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)