Two Boxes (H3's) full of problems since H309 update . . .

SandFarmer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
The Beach.
H3 #1 Owned (second unit):
  • Loses audio in Youtube, except commercials, and there is no way to get it back. It's not all the videos. I can go back to some and there's audio. Then after a while finally the audio is completely gone, then when I back out into the regular D¡SH programming I have no audio on any channel. The only way to get it back is to Reboot or Power Cycle the the box. The box is responsive to the remote. just no sound.
  • Also have been getting "Blackouts". Could be momentary and just one to several in a row for long periods of time.
  • Picture Distortion/Macro-Blocking/Micro-Blocking. From small areas to the whole screen every time the scene changes or when coming back from or going to a commercial. Then there are times when it's across the bottom quarter of the screen for some time. There are also large blocks of time that it doesn't happen and the picture is fine.
H3 #2 Leased:
  • The entire box locks up and nothing short of a manual reboot will resurrect it. It will not respond to the remote or front panel buttons except "reset".
  • Same condition as above but preceded by a blackout of the screen. Both these happen many times a night to a point it's "Fire Stick Time". The box becomes completely unusable.
  • New Netflix "Screen Saver": While in Netflix and after watching a program or several series and leaving the machine "idling" while taking "Potty or Snack Breaks" the new, and I haven't seen it on the other H3 yet, Netflix Screen Saver comes on and the Carousel moves stills on the screen, but the box is completely unresponsive to returning to programming. This is another "reboot to fix" thing.
All this is new since the H309 update and H3 #2 is getting so bad that it's almost unusable sometimes.

Thoughts anyone . . .

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Am now seeing that the only thing: Netflix, Prime and YouTube are what is crashing our H3s. When the Guide comes back they aways have no info and it's only when watching one of these three that cause issues.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Am now seeing that the only thing: Netflix, Prime and YouTube are what is crashing our H3s. When the Guide comes back they aways have no info and it's only when watching one of these three that cause issues.

I have H309 software on both of my Hopper3 receivers. I have no problems with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube.
Since all 3 of these require internet streaming I would investigate your internet connection. My internet on both of my Hopper3 receivers shows download speeds of 200-220 Mbps
To test the Hopper3 download speed:
1) Hit Home button 3 times
2) Select Status
3) Select Send Status (7)
4) Select Test Connections (1)
You will be able to see your download speed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have H309 software on both of my Hopper3 receivers. I have no problems with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube.
Since all 3 of these require internet streaming I would investigate your internet connection. My internet on both of my Hopper3 receivers shows download speeds of 200-220 Mbps
To test the Hopper3 download speed:
1) Hit Home button 3 times
2) Select Status
3) Select Send Status (7)
4) Select Test Connections (1)
You will be able to see your download speed.

I have Gigabit Fiber from the ONT via a Cat8 trunk running to a Gigabit 7 Port Switch using Cat7a jumpers to the gear in the Media Rack. The TV, AppleTV4K with both and an old LG BDP with Netflix installed as a widget all work great. I'm well aware of the internal speedtest on the H3, use it all the time. And this has only been since the H309 update and having 90% the same problems on both H3s with a couple extra sound issues on just the one. Before the update no problems with playing these widgets or sound in YouTube or after coming out of YouTube. As of a couple of days ago I started noticing sound loss through ARC to my AVR. But that can be fixed by turning Dolby Off, then On in the H3.

Speed Tests:
AppleTV4K via SpeedTest.net App on the device: 923/934Mbps
D¡SH H3 via its own internal way: 363.846Mbps

Looks like plenty of speed even for 4K. Of which while the apps are running I get on the TV.

Last edited:
Took more tests and missed the "90 minute Editing Window" on my other post. So here's an added treat kids:

Speed Tests:
  • D¡SH H3 (Owned) Hard Wired via its own internal way: 363.846
  • D¡SH H3 (Leased) via MoCA: 340.894
  • Netflix (Leased H3): 15.92; Second try, box locked up.
  • Netflix (Owned H3): Box Crashed then turned itself off.
  • Netflix (TV Widget WiFi, Leased H3): 89.31
  • Netflix (TV Widget HW, Owned H3): 127.45

AppleTV4K (Media Room Hardwired, Owned H3) via SpeedTest.net App: 923/934

Amazon Fire Stick (WiFi: 866):
  • analiti: 347.00
  • Crappy Internal Browser and Speedtest.net*: 236.00
  • Nexflix: 244.79

* I don't accept any speed tests done through browsers when there is a stand-alone widget/app of that same test available. But they're not always available for TVs.

It always amazes me how my two Hopper3 receivers running the same software H309 can act so differently from your two Hopper3 receivers. I did some more testing watching Netflix. I paused the Netflix for 5 minutes seeing if I could see the screen saver you mentioned. The only thing I saw was a description of the video with the ability to turn on close caption or audio description. I also tested several You Tube videos and several Amazon Prime videos. I never could get either Hopper3 to mess up.
It has got to be extremely frustrating to Dish when a software update only causes problems for certain Hopper3 receivers. There has to be some differences that are causing the problem.

After getting H310 the other day I finally remembered to Power Cycle the box. After it came up I started speed test and started with "Netflix". The instant the logo came on the screen the box locked up. Had to pull the plug to get it to ressurected. The TV lost signal but the box didn't reboot and my AVR was showing that an HDMI signal was present.

Right now I'm watching a movie on Prime and not only is it working OK, but I'm getting Dolby Digital Plus on the audio out and the picture is really good. Haven't tried YouTube yet where I was having audio problems. That's next.

I have had lockups using netflix on my H3 for a long time. I don't even use the netflix app on the H3, I have a roku for that and it works perfectly. The Dish Netflix app sucks.

Reactions: SandFarmer
My wife is a heavy Netflix app user thru our Ethernet connected Hopper 3. She barely ever has any lockup issues & if she does it is the ISP or our router that caused it.

• Sad
Reactions: SandFarmer
My wife is a heavy Netflix app user thru our Ethernet connected Hopper 3. She barely ever has any lockup issues & if she does it is the ISP or our router that caused it.
We've stopped using the Internet apps on our H3s, they're always locking up. And I have Gigabit Fiber that gives me ~950/950Mbps. Plus it's too easy to use the app built into the TVs, Firestick or AppleTV 4Ks, with better pictures and no lock-ups.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Plus it's too easy to use the app built into the TVs, Firestick or AppleTV 4Ks, with better pictures and no lock-ups.
My wife discovered the Netflix app on the H3 and J3's and started using it extensively. It crashed repeatedly. So she migrated to either our Roku TV or FireTV Stick apps and never went back to the H3/J3. For anything! Good grief.

I noticed that this is an old thread that has been resurrected. I have two Hopper3 receivers and a Joey3. I use the Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube apps on both of my Hopper3 receivers with very little problems.
I have noticed the following issues:

1) Netflix movies that are 4K HDR do not detect HDR and HDR must be manually turned on.
2) The Hopper3 will not play YouTube 4K videos in 4K due to the codec that YouTube uses.
3) The Hopper3 will not decode Dolby Vision but that does not concern me since my Sony TV does not do Dolby Vision.

But I have not had any reboot or lockup issues. All of my Dish equipment use reserved I/P addresses which I believe helps with the networking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I noticed that this is an old thread that has been resurrected. I have two Hopper3 receivers and a Joey3. I use the Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube apps on both of my Hopper3 receivers with very little problems.
I have noticed the following issues:

1) Netflix movies that are 4K HDR do not detect HDR and HDR must be manually turned on.
2) The Hopper3 will not play YouTube 4K videos due to the codec that YouTube uses.
3) The Hopper3 will not decode Dolby Vision but that does not concern me since my Sony TV does not do Dolby Vision.

But I have not had any reboot or lockup issues. All of my Dish equipment use reserved I/P addresses which I believe helps with the networking.

How do you manually turn on HDR?

On my Sony XBR900E remote
1) Press Action Menu and select Picture Adjustments
2) Scroll down to Advanced Settings
3) Scroll down to Video Options
4) Scroll to the right and select HDR mode
5) You can scroll between Auto (default), HDR10, HLG, and Off.

If an app shows up as HDR such as Hopper3 Amazon Prime videos then the menu is not available. But for Hopper3 Netflix videos the HDR mode does not show up automatically but I can turn on HDR10 to get the enhanced color.

On my Sony XBR900E remote
1) Press Action Menu and select Picture Adjustments
2) Scroll down to Advanced Settings
3) Scroll down to Video Options
4) Scroll to the right and select HDR mode
5) You can scroll between Auto (default), HDR10, HLG, and Off.

If an app shows up as HDR such as Hopper3 Amazon Prime videos then the menu is not available. But for Hopper3 Netflix videos the HDR mode does not show up automatically but I can turn on HDR10 to get the enhanced color.

Thanks

I noticed that this is an old thread that has been resurrected. . . .
I originally posted under the New H315 thread. But once again since I posted: "Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk". I could end up anywhere. Don't you guys remember yelling at me for "resurrecting" old threads? Well it's still Tapatalk tagging threads that i see from 2013 as replied to hours ago even though the thread hasn't been touched in years . . .

Still having the Leased H3 dropping out. I have now set up the TV so that the H3 is not needed to watch Live. And will be moving the programming off to an EHD, after a "soft reset" to do a "Hard/Complete" Reset if needed. Haven't checked the owned H3 yet. But it worked fine all day.

Well it's still Tapatalk tagging threads that i see from 2013 as replied to hours ago even though the thread hasn't been touched in years . . .
Yup. I am personally cool with that and regard it as a good idea because some threads are timeless. And who needs another thread on the same subject? That will just clutter up SG.

What drives me crazy are the people who always answer legitimate questions with a "do a search" comment. That is unhelpful.

Yup. I am personally cool with that and regard it as a good idea because some threads are timeless. And who needs another thread on the same subject? That will just clutter up SG.

What drives me crazy are the people who always answer legitimate questions with a "do a search" comment. That is unhelpful.
I'm not sure when it started but it seems it is a recent change to this forum to have a "similar threads" area right below the last post.I don't have an issue at all with that (actually could be helpful) but it is slightly annoying that it is repeated right below itself!

Attachments

• Two Boxes (H3's) full of problems since H309 update . . . _ SatelliteGuys.US - Google Chrome 2...png
    Two Boxes (H3's) full of problems since H309 update . . . _ SatelliteGuys.US - Google Chrome 2...png
    145.9 KB · Views: 86