Two tv's in living room for football (Hopper/Joey)

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I currently run a Directv splitter, and one cable to my DVR for the main tv, and one cable to an HD rcvr for the second small tv so we can watch two games at once.

My 11/23 install will be a Hopper in the living room, and a joey in the bedroom with the smaller tv I also use for football. When I had a 722k, I just ran out from TV2 to feed the second football tv, but I have not seen where the Hopper has a TV2 out. My question is, whats the best way to run both tv's in the same room, off the same coax? Can I just split the main feed like Directv and move the Joey and small tv into the living room? If so, what splitter should I use?

TIA.

Are you viewing the same channel on both tv's? If yes, you can hook both tv's off the Hopper using HDMI or Component if both tv's are HD or get an rf adaptor from composite to coax to feed second tv should coax be the only input. If different channels, you would need to feed the 2nd tv by the Joey in the bedroom or get a second Joey for the tv.

Different channels.

Why would I need a different Joey? Could I not move the tv and the Joey from the bedroom into the living room and just split the feed between the hopper and Joey?

Different channels.

Why would I need a different Joey? Could I not move the tv and the Joey from the bedroom into the living room and just split the feed between the hopper and Joey?
You can split off the coax that feeds the Joey and just move it when you need to. You cannot split off the coax running to the Hopper. You could also use an old vcr at the rf adaptor as well.

Or, if you have a wireless home network you could run your Joey thru wireless LAN and move the Joey around anywhere you want (within reason). There are posts in here on how to do that, and it apparently works well.

So, the one outlet in my living room that would go to the hopper has to go to the hopper, it cannot be split before hand to feed both a Joey and hopper?

If so I may just have to use pip.

dare2be said:
Or, if you have a wireless home network you could run your Joey thru wireless LAN. There are posts in here on how to do that, and it apparently works well.

Hmmm. My wireless router and net gear 4 port hub are all in my living room ent center. Could I move the Joey into the living room for the day and connect it to the eth cable (same hub the hopper would be connected to) and do it that way?

put in a tap before the hopper. Run a jumper from the client port to the joey and a jumper from the host port to the hopper.

knot said:
put in a tap before the hopper. Run a jumper from the client port to the joey and a jumper from the host port to the hopper.

I'm gonna have to do some reading tomorrow. I'm not familiar with a hopper Joey install and that's like Chinese lol.

I'm up to speed on 722k and a directv MRV installation, but not these.

I still think setting up the Joey to use MOCA over wireless will be simpler and more versatile, but someone else will have to give you the details.

it not hard to set up wireless. I have a line ran from my u-verse modem into my living room which feeds into a switch and then to a netgear router. Ethernet line from netgear to hopper. wifi adapter into joey. when you plug in wifi adapter you go through the set-up wizard and connect to what ever network the hopper is on and that's it. You will have to hook it to coax on initial set-up.

knot said:
it not hard to set up wireless. I have a line ran from my u-verse modem into my living room which feeds into a switch and then to a netgear router. Ethernet line from netgear to hopper. wifi adapter into joey. when you plug in wifi adapter you go threw the wizard and connect to what ever network the hopper is on and thats it. You will have to hook it to coax on initial set-up.

Does it have to be a wifi adapter or can the Joey just accept an eth cable?

both. I was going to run just cat5 but if I was going to do that I would just run coax. The wifi aloud me not to have to go into my attic to fish lines.

knot said:

Cool.

Basically, during football I should be able to move the Joey and tv in to the living room, connect the eth cable for the hub the hopper is already on with an eth cable, and then share. I'll have to experiment after the install next Friday.

I do believe that for the Joey to be properly set up on the initial install and recognized by the Hopper on the MOCA network, it has to be initially set up thru the coax connected to the client port on the node, correct?

I do believe that for the Joey to be properly set up on the initial install and recognized by the Hopper on the MOCA network, it has to be initially set up thru the coax connected to the client port on the node, correct?
that's correct

knot said:
to me if both tvs are going to be close I would do the tap with coax

We are talking like Joey to hopper about 4 feet. That's why currently I just simple split the directv feed and supplied both boxes.

We are talking like Joey to hopper about 4 feet. That's why currently I just simple split the directv feed and supplied both boxes.
Heres how the hopper system works :

you got 2 lines from the dish that runs into the node. Off the node you have a client (joey) and host (hopper) ports. say if your dish is at one side of the house but pre wire is on the other side you put a terminator on the client side and run 1 line from the host port on the node into the pre wire area of the house (run 1 line instead of 2). On that 1 line you install a tap for joey and hopper. If you have more then 1 joey you would make a jumper and install a splitter and all joeys connect to that. Now if your node is installed where all your pre wire is run your joey and hopper line directly into the node. Before you plug the sat feed into the hopper install a tap and make jumpers for hopper and wherever you want to set your joey at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts