Universal Sports Network on Dish Network

rasouza

Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
oakland
I've been asking Dishnet and Universal Sports when the channel will be available and there appear to be no plans - probably because Comcast bought NBC - but I really enjoy the coverage on Universal Sports and don't want to have to change back to cable. Now that NBC Universal has the Olympics for the foreseeable future, I'd like to find out if I'm the only person who is lobbying for this addition. Any other fans out there? Any recommendations on what else I might do? Thanks. Ray

If that channel is that important, I would switch. If I was betting, Dish will not carry it as a Sat channel. Are you sure it is not available OTA on your NBC channel. It is on mine.

(11.3 in your area....)

Last edited:
If that channel is that important, I would switch. If I was betting, Dish will not carry it as a Sat channel. Are you sure it is not available OTA on your NBC channel. It is on mine.

(11.3 in your area....)

There are a lot of places where that channel is not available. In New York, it's only carried in Albany, Buffalo and Olean, either ota or cable. It's not on E or D.
I wish I could get it here in the Rochester, NY area.

NBC owns Versus now. So they would most likely show Olympic coverage on Versus and NBC, Not Universal Sports.

Versus has shown some sports from NBC. They now will probably use all their affiliated channels to broadcast the Olympics, same as they have in the past. And by putting some events on Universal Sports, they might hope that gives them leverage to get that channel on other providers, such as DISH and Direct.

Last edited:
In Puerto Rico you can watch Universal Sports on Dish on channel 27. It's part of the local channel package because a local station (WAPA) has a digital feed called WAPA 2 that broadcasts Universal Sports all day long. Universal Sports normally airs recorded sport events. It rarely shows live programming.

NBC has always owned Versus. They will probably use all their affiliated channels to broadcast the Olympics, same as they have in the past. And by putting some events on Universal Sports, they might hope that gives them leverage to get that channel on other providers, such as DISH and Direct.

I think it was owned by Comcast. When Comcast purchased NBC, it became part of the NBC family.

There are a lot of places where that channel is not available. In New York, it's only carried in Albany, Buffalo and Olean, either ota or cable. It's not on E or D.
I wish I could get it here in the Rochester, NY area.

Ok, but I didn't say it was available everywhere, just that I have it, he might, was he sure he didn't have it, and I was correct, he does! It's also carried in NYC ....

This is generaly a digital subchannel broadcast OTA both DISH and Direct have resisted carrying these channels.

A SPORTS channel owned by COMCAST added to E*? Ice crystals in hell...

Well now that Comcast owns NBC, one of two things will happen.....Im betting the new merger makes Comcast/NBC bigger than ABC?espn......Thats alot of cable channels when thay got NBC!!! Pay to play or they'll just go home...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)