Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This morning SatelliteGuys.US has received some updated information about the 722. The most interesting being that ONLY the 722 will be able to do HD VOD in the future. (I guess the 622 does not have a big enough reserved partition to handle HD VOD)

722.jpg

I bet that this is just another way to get people to upgrade to the 722. If they really wanted to I bet they could find a way to make the 622 do HD VOD. Just seems to be another DISH ploy to get us to spend more money.

Shawn

This morning SatelliteGuys.US has received some updated information about the 722. The most interesting being that ONLY the 722 will be able to do HD VOD in the future. (I guess the 622 does not have a big enough reserved partition to handle HD VOD)

722.jpg

Did they change their mind's and decide to give more space to us, or are they counting the VOD space in those number of hours?

The agreement with their VOD providers does not allow for them to allow VOD content to be stored on external hard drives.

In addition VOD content only has a limited life on the drive, if you buy a VOD it is downloaded to your machine and is deleted automatically after 24 - 48 hours. If its stored on an external drive then it can't automatically be deleted as required by the VOD providers and movie studios.

No reason there can't be a choice. I.e. If you choose HD VOD, you loose 10 hours of HD recording space. 2 Hours, if you choose VOD via the internet only. They could even use the same software on both boxes so the 722 would have even more space available for customer's recordings if they choose. Seems to me E* is making it harder on itself by creating different software versions for different receivers. Using the same code base (as they did with 50x series) is more cost efficient and will ultimately lead to a better product since more users can give feedback. Otherwise, I fear the 622 will be orphaned in the same way that the 921 was after the 942 came out.

I don't mind the fact that you will need a 722 to get VOD. I can probably live without VOD for the time being. My fear is that they start updating the software on the 722 regularly and start forgetting about the 622.

Oh well, I suppose the 622 wasn't going to last forever...

I don't mind the fact that you will need a 722 to get VOD. I can probably live without VOD for the time being. My fear is that they start updating the software on the 722 regularly and start forgetting about the 622.

Oh well, I suppose the 622 wasn't going to last forever...

Save for the hard drive; aren't they the same box?

Why not allow customers to upgrade internally to a larger HD for the 722s features...

Okay; support nightmare; never mind :D

Cheers,

Save for the hard drive; aren't they the same box?

Why not allow customers to upgrade internally to a larger HD for the 722s features...

Okay; support nightmare; never mind :D

Cheers,

Their similar, not the same. It is suppose to also be some newer generation chips as well.

Ok, lemme see now - the 722 has a larger drive in order to accomodate expensive HD VOD that will only stay on the drive for a day or two. IMHO, this hardly makes for a compelling case to upgrade to the 722 from the 622 - particularly in light of the upcoming External Storage feature.

Just my two cents.

--Doug

We ditched our NetFlix account when we upgraded our programming to AEP.

I wouldn't use the VOD really due to the cost, but the feature is nice though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)