Upgrade LONG overdue...

dingy_broad

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
NY
So, trying to sift through lots of info, but hoping someone can help me make simple sense of what this upgrade would entail for us.

Right now we have 625 and a 322G - the same receivers we got installed when we first got dish back in 2004, if that factors into how much we'll need to pay for anything. We have 4 tv's hooked up, 2 use DVR and the other two don't. Right now none of them are HDTV but we are upgrading one in the next week or so (if not overnight with Cyber Monday deal). So from what I am seeing, I think I want the DuoDVR 722K for our main which will have the HDTV and then not sure if we really even need to upgrade the second one or not? Or if I upgrade one will that make it necessary to upgrade both? The other two are rarely used rooms and definitely won't have an HDTV anytime soon.

So, what would we be looking at ballpark for upfront cost? (I had read before about upgrading to a maintenance plan for $9/mo which might nullify or reduce my upgrade installation charge but not sure if that was here or elsewhere?) Will we need a new dish? So what's total upfront cost and how much will our monthly bill change per month? Right now we pay the dreaded $5 a month no phone line charge, maybe on both receivers actually, so if this new receiver can use wireless that would be a plus and maybe save us $5 per month? We also have a Logitech Revue which we love but don't use much as it is since it's not so convenient to get up and switch things over to it. I know some receivers play nicely with it but we're not looking to pay more for this option. If the DVR receiver does, then cool or for SLIGHTLY more but otherwise we can deal with standing up and switching the thingy.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

- Stacy

Hi Stacy, You might be required to upgrade both receivers, it depends on the configuration that is needed for the upgrade. There wouldn't be a way to tell for sure unless I was in the account looking at it, which is a possibility if you want to send me a private message with the phone number on the account.

If you are able to upgrade just the 625 to a 722k with as long as you have been a customer there is a good chance with a new commitment that the receiver would be free. Monthly price wouldn't change if you set up with auto pay and received the HD channels free for life. So the only real charge for upgrading would be a tech visit fee ($15 with protection plan, $95 without).

Just remember this just general, but I can get you the exact details if you would like to send me a private message. -Jason S

Just to explain what Jason is talking about here...

You might be required to upgrade both receivers, it depends on the configuration that is needed for the upgrade.

Dish migrated HD customers in the east to a different constellation of satellites called the Eastern Arc at 61.5, 72.7, and 77 west logitude. Eastern Arc channels, including the SD channels, use mpeg-4 compression, which cannot be viewed on a 322.

skidog said:
Not to get off track but I thought you didn't need to have the recievers hooked to a phone line. I have never had mine hooked to one and was never charged for it.

Once upon a time they waved the 2nd TV fee if plugged into a phone Jack (5 dollars) that requirement has been long gone since the fee was just integrated Into the reciever fee years ago. So technically all this time dish has been getting.g an extra 5 bucks from this customer.

dingy_broad,

WELCOME to the forums here!! :welcome

Several things. There is no longer a $5 connection fee, has not been for sometime. You should get that straightened out and in my opinion get something back for paying that all this time.

The Insurance cost (Protection plan) is $7 not $9.

If you sign a new two year contract there should be little or no cost, but it is customer dependent - how well they pay on time, what they spend, etc. ....

Contact Jason who responded above, he is with Dish, and is a member of CSR's here (Called DIRT) best able to help you, most likely better than calling Dish. If your HD local channels are on the same set of satellites you now get, you may not need to change the other receivers. And it's possible to get Dish to give you the 722 and another upgraded receiver for little or no cost, again if you sign a new two year contract.

Dishman1978 said:
Once upon a time they waved the 2nd TV fee if plugged into a phone Jack (5 dollars) that requirement has been long gone since the fee was just integrated Into the reciever fee years ago. So technically all this time dish has been getting.g an extra 5 bucks from this customer.

Being "grandfathered" can go both ways!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I think dish should be able to upgrade to 722k and 222k without any cost with 2 year commitment.

I had 625 before & happy to report that 722k is an excellent receiver plus you will like the additional storage capability of 722k & also be able to use EHD if you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts