Upgrading to Hopper

m4dh4xx0r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Central Iowa
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I've been with Dish for 4 years I think, and been fairly happy. I've currently only got a 722k + sling adapter. I was wondering what my options are for switching to the Hopper (plus keeping the sling capability if possible). I'm currently out of contract, FYI.

Thanks!

Okay, I chatted with Dish online and I'm thoroughly confused now, lol. Is it possible to get a HWS with no Joey? I've currently got a 722k being used with a single TV and I want to replace it with just a HWS (no joey needed). I figured I could get just a Hopper, but the guy in the chat insisted I had to have a joey with the hopper.

I assumed I could get a hopper, and my bill would go up by $5/mo (DVR fee from $7 -> $12), but if I have to have a Joey, my bill would go up by $12/mo ($7 722k -> $12 Hopper + $7 Joey)?

That is a common question.
The answer is no, you don't have to have a Joey, but most CSRs don't know that.

The solution seems to be to order H +J and tell the installer when he arrives you don't want the Joey.

That is a common question.
The answer is no, you don't have to have a Joey, but most CSRs don't know that.

The solution seems to be to order H +J and tell the installer when he arrives you don't want the Joey.

Ah, gotcha. This was actually the second chat I did with Dish - earlier I was at one point transferred to someone in the Loyalty department and thought they were offering a HWS - looking over the conversation now, it does appear he included a Joey also:

We have a lease promotion available to you, you can upgrade to a Hopper with sling and Joey receiver, the upgrade cost is $100.00 and $95 for installation. I'd be happy to add the Protection Plan $7 per month to your account, which would drop the tech visit fee from $95 to $15. I understand you were already offered that, If you sign up for the protection plan. I will waive $50 for you.

I eventually got him to...

What I will do is wiave the cost for you but you will have to sign for the protection plan

I probably should have taken it when it was offered, but I still wanted to think it over.

Well, they can up the ante a little.... I was able to get install fee waived, the hopper w/sling free (no joey) and quite a few programming perks (one being cinemax for $0.01 for a year). To get this I did have to agree to another 2 year contract, but the out clause on the contract is fairly inexpensive after even 9-10 months.... Oh, and no I didn't sign up for the protection program. I did find that talking on the phone did seem to go a bit more smoothly.

Well, they can up the ante a little.... I was able to get install fee waived, the hopper w/sling free (no joey) and quite a few programming perks (one being cinemax for $0.01 for a year). To get this I did have to agree to another 2 year contract, but the out clause on the contract is fairly inexpensive after even 9-10 months.... Oh, and no I didn't sign up for the protection program. I did find that talking on the phone did seem to go a bit more smoothly.

Thanks for the heads up on what deal you were able to get. I'll probably end up giving them a call soon. I tried to talk my way out of needing the protection plan, but they wouldn't go for it (in chat). Hopefully I'll have better luck on the phone.

A better way of doing this?

Overnight reboot observations HWS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)