UPS won't let me have my new Blu Ray player!

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I got word that my Samsung 1400 Blu Ray player has arrived today here in town. Later I get a notice that the package has been rescheduled to next week for delivery.
I ordered the player with second day air delivery but that doesn't seem to matter. They claim the Holidays will prevent me from delivery until next week.
I speak to a supervisor and suggest I come to the UPS distribution center and ask to pick it up. She says no. Their policy forbids that until after the driver has made a delivery attempt and failed. IT's reasons like this I stopped using UPS for my business as all my customers complained about their arrogance.

So, no Blu Ray player for me until after the Holidays. Then I have to travel until next Thursday so my second day delivery from last Friday is going to take just shy of two weeks with UPS!

Not pissed, just disappointed.

I agree, I personally like DHL, they actually call me if they cant make the delivery. Very nice service as well. Package doesnt arrive all banged up.

Fedex does the same thing to me. I went to UPS and Fedex and got some paperwork that says they are allowed to leave packages without a signature in a designated spot. Since then (about 6 years ago I did this), I've never missed a delivery.

I hope you aren't even more disappointed with the 1400 like I was (I went through 2 in a week and cut my frustration)

No doubt. I switched from UPS several years ago to Fed Ex but that got too expensive. DHL has the prepaid deal and that is what I use here. No hassle, no stupid weekly fees, no book to maintain. Just fill out the label and stuff the package and call it in for pickup. Clients get it the next day. I ship all me video tapes to the stations and cable co's using it It's unfortunate though that several of my vendors are stuck on UPS.

Anyway, I thought I'd get some sympathy or violins here in this forum. !sadroll

I saw they just released a software upgrade that fixes the frustration. I have the CD ready to update when it arrives.

I got word that my Samsung 1400 Blu Ray player has arrived today here in town. Later I get a notice that the package has been rescheduled to next week for delivery.
I ordered the player with second day air delivery but that doesn't seem to matter. They claim the Holidays will prevent me from delivery until next week.
I speak to a supervisor and suggest I come to the UPS distribution center and ask to pick it up. She says no. Their policy forbids that until after the driver has made a delivery attempt and failed. IT's reasons like this I stopped using UPS for my business as all my customers complained about their arrogance.

So, no Blu Ray player for me until after the Holidays. Then I have to travel until next Thursday so my second day delivery from last Friday is going to take just shy of two weeks with UPS!

Not pissed, just disappointed.

If it arrived today at the building it immediately got loaded and is out on the route. It isn't in the building for you to pick up.

No doubt. I switched from UPS several years ago to Fed Ex but that got too expensive. DHL has the prepaid deal and that is what I use here. No hassle, no stupid weekly fees, no book to maintain.

What book? I haven't seen a shipping book since 2000 or so.

I cringe on the DHL deliveries... Definitely Has to be Late

I know there are different opinions about all of the carriers depending on the area. DHL here is terrible. I have no problems with either UPS or FedEx but I also know a lot of them so they tend to treat me different. When I ship things I use FedEx because they are cheaper for me. I do it all online and print out the label... no hastle. As digiblur said... they havent used books in years.

Yep, no book. We use UPS, as does our much larger neighbor. Print, stick, go. It's all in where you are. DHL has been miserable to us. We had an urgent CD sent out to us - twice! Had to go via DHL, who repeatedly claimed no one was at the location to receive the package. We're a business, there from 6:30 to 5. Driver just didn't want to go out to us, as there were few DHL deliveries to our area at that time. A suburb of DC! Anyway, at great cost we eventually had someone bring out the software to us. Things are better now, but I'll have a sour taste in my mouth over DHL for many years to come.

DHL is the cheapest, FedEx the second cheapest, UPS the second most expensive and USPS the most expensive unless I ship it in state or one state away and they charge extra for the insurance, tracking, and package RARELY gets delivered unless it is insured. The only dropoff locations around here are for UPS. DHL driver told me that he is not allowed to take my package unless I use the option to pay extra to have it picked up. It is a shame because he is at the post office next door almost everyday. FedEx had a dropoff location for a short period of time and I used them most of the time but they quit doing it then sold the business. They said there was not enough money being made on FedEx for them to do it anymore. That's a shame, no dropoff location in 30-40 miles or in this county for them.

This problem was due to 1 of 2 things. Fraud/Lost Packages in your area, and/or a sender request. For many required signature packages where a signature is required in an area where fraud has known to occur, the carrier (UPS, FedEx, DHL, all 3) can often require a delivery attempt prior to releasing it to the customer.

It is not uncommon for a fraudulent purchase to be rerouted in transit, or picked up at the station so that the dummy address used is not tipped off.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but they've got people's best interest in mind. Circumstances suck, but you'll get your stuff. Most of us have horror stories about xyz carrier and stories of how yxz carrier have saved the day or is a model service. If they were as bad as all the bad stories we tell they wouldn't be in business. It's remarkable they can move the amount of packages they do, problems will happen, but they'll do what they can to resolve them reasonably.

Couldn't u just wait until the driver returns with it at 5 and then pick it up? The UPS here closes at 6. Its really strange that they didn't just leave it. My dad bought a bose cd radio and UPS left it on the porch. I couldn't belive it. That thing costs $500. UPS leaves everything and never needs a signature.

UPS generally has the option to leave the package, but when something comes up missing, they are the first person the investigation starts at, to confirm it was delivered at the right house. As a result, drivers know if their route is high risk, and may or may not feel comfortable leaving a package.

Some companies, like Dell, require a signature for every delivery, it will not be left, and if it was, it is an accident.

Friend had a $1500 projector taken from his front porch (TigerDirect ate the cost, it's part of doing business). UPS generally won't know the value of the package because the default insured amount us $100, and a vast majority of packages are not insured above that.

Well, no BluRay so I guess it is so that the time posted in the tracking was not the time it arrived at the center but a projected time they expected it to scan in, a projection accurate to the minute.

The interesting thing is, the super admitted they have no idea where the package is once it leaves the origin and until it is loaded on a delivery truck. All those scan times are are estimates based in part on a truck scan and usually they are ETA's not that the truck actually arrived.

The details don't matter anyway. That is their procedure. For me, the trailer was not yet unloaded and won't be until sometime next week as UPS is closed for the weekend.

It also appears that the delivery will happen as no signature is required. Typically, the local driver for UPS is in a hurry all the time and will toss the cartons into my driveway. Once I ordered a box of 200 DVD cases and the box broke open when the UPS guy tossed it. He just walked away. I have it all on my security camera! Love those Panasonic IP cameras with the SD card recorders. I got a call from one of my clients who shipped me some programming masters for DVD production and that didn't arrive either. I looked and that T# was scanned in on Monday. I guess that was held for later delivery too. Frankly, I think UPS is over tasked for the Holidays and is working with lots of new temps who just aren't up to speed yet.
From the dismal inventory in the stores this year at CC and Best Buy, I would say online shopping is really taking hold. For Black Friday, Our local BB had only 3 HDDVD and 6 BluRay players in stock. They said the other stores are in similar shape and have little inventory. As such, there are no real sales that I saw on the local level.

I prefer UPS. It only took one time for me to go to their office and give them directions to my house in a new subdivision. Never had a problem since. Fedex still can't find the place, even though their driver comes out here every day--I always end up having to go get my stuff, and only once have they ever returned my calls for me to give them directions. LMAO, the last thing I got fedex was charged the 90 pound rate (it was a bumper cover for my truck, huge box), but it didn't actually weigh 90 pounds. When I went over there personally to give them directions (the tracking said it was on the truck), they ended up having the package, but it took forever for them to find it, because the lady said she was looking for a 90 pound package, not a huge package---apparently, she wasn't looking at the labels, which seems really stupid to me. Anyway, I wasn't prepared to get the huge box, so I had to shoe horn it in my truck. They wouldn't give me a straight answer as to why they never returned my calls, gave the driver the directions I tried to pass along, OR had not updated the tracking to show it was no longer on the truck. I hate fedex.

And I really hate fedex home delivery. What a POS service that is. When I was doing fullfillment installs, they screwed over lots of customers. Packages signed for (they REQUIRED signatures) by F.RONTDOOR. It worked out for the company that was selling them, though. They charged the customers for shipping, but the contract they had with fedex stipulated a full refund on any package that was NOT signed for, and a lot of packages were signed for by my F.RONTDOOR, so they ended up getting a lot of free shipping. Of course, that is not funny when the customer lives in an apartment, and the package gets stolen (which is how they screwed over the customer, because now they have to wait for replacement equipment). Plus, if you miss their delivery--around here anyway, you cannot go to their location and pick up the merchandise. WTF???? Notice my location............Home of fedex.

The only time I ever got anything DHL, the guy couldn't find the house, so he went to the post office and mailed it. LMAO!

Just found out my new Sammy Blu Ray player was dropped off in my front yard by the UPS driver as expected. Let's see if it is still there when I get back in town on Wedneswday!

Don't get any ideas guys I have it on my security camera. :) Will have someone I know secure it for me.

Well, no BluRay so I guess it is so that the time posted in the tracking was not the time it arrived at the center but a projected time they expected it to scan in, a projection accurate to the minute.

The interesting thing is, the super admitted they have no idea where the package is once it leaves the origin and until it is loaded on a delivery truck. All those scan times are are estimates based in part on a truck scan and usually they are ETA's not that the truck actually arrived.

The details don't matter anyway. That is their procedure. For me, the trailer was not yet unloaded and won't be until sometime next week as UPS is closed for the weekend.

It also appears that the delivery will happen as no signature is required. Typically, the local driver for UPS is in a hurry all the time and will toss the cartons into my driveway. Once I ordered a box of 200 DVD cases and the box broke open when the UPS guy tossed it. He just walked away. I have it all on my security camera! Love those Panasonic IP cameras with the SD card recorders. I got a call from one of my clients who shipped me some programming masters for DVD production and that didn't arrive either. I looked and that T# was scanned in on Monday. I guess that was held for later delivery too. Frankly, I think UPS is over tasked for the Holidays and is working with lots of new temps who just aren't up to speed yet.
From the dismal inventory in the stores this year at CC and Best Buy, I would say online shopping is really taking hold. For Black Friday, Our local BB had only 3 HDDVD and 6 BluRay players in stock. They said the other stores are in similar shape and have little inventory. As such, there are no real sales that I saw on the local level.

Unfortunately someone didn't explain the scanning process to your correctly. Depending on the routing it does get scanned physically a few times. Some of the scans are derived scans but those scans are derived off the scan that put your your package in that trailer. Once that trailer is scanned in and out of buildings or hubs all of the packages get the scans. Those are not based off of ETA's either. So in essence, UPS knows where your package is.

UPS and the other shipping companies are always over tasked with the holiday volume.

In some cases the shipper asks UPS/Fedex to make sure that a package is signed for. I once ordered a Dell and FedEx made me wait for 3 delivery attempts before I could pick it up at one of their locations. According to them this overruled any authorization i gave to just drop it off or leave it with a neighbor.

Just got home and my wife told me the outside box was opened. The player box was still FSC so I'm not worried.

Just a thought- Was I supposed to get free Blu Ray DVD's in the Amazon carton? The only thing in it was the Samsung carton. When I got my HD DVD player it came with two sample DVD's.
I see these free disk offers but there was nothing in the box, unless it was stolen from the second carton which was opened.

Just got home and my wife told me the outside box was opened. The player box was still FSC so I'm not worried.

Just a thought- Was I supposed to get free Blu Ray DVD's in the Amazon carton? The only thing in it was the Samsung carton. When I got my HD DVD player it came with two sample DVD's.
I see these free disk offers but there was nothing in the box, unless it was stolen from the second carton which was opened.

Not that I'm aware of... There should be a card in there you can turn in for 5 free movies by mail (or a website you can go to to download the form), but I don't think you're missing anything that should have been in the box.

Not that I'm aware of... There should be a card in there you can turn in for 5 free movies by mail (or a website you can go to to download the form), but I don't think you're missing anything that should have been in the box.

Thanks! I did see a few offers in this section and it seems these are related to the place you buy from. I did get the "coupon card as that was inside the Samsung box with the manual.

Anyway, ready to watch my first Blu Ray DVD tonight. Just got back from Blockbuster with a rental.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts