using all three tuners at once

wo0t

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 3, 2011
USA
I was trying to use all three tuners at once using the same hopper and can't seem to get it to work. First, I press on the red button on the remote to show the tuners. The first two would show as in use, and the third would show as being available. However, when I select that tuner, nothing happens. I then try to force my way into using this tuner by putting the other 2 tuners on record mode. I am finally able to get onto this tuner, but it says signal loss and tries to acquire the signal but never does.

The only way I've notice all 3 tuners active is during primetime anytime or when the third tuner is being used by a joey. Am I missing something here? Anyone else notice this? Is it supposed to be like this? Any ideas?

Just change the channel to another channel. That'll use the third tuner. Either that or record three things at once.

Just change the channel to another channel. That'll use the third tuner. Either that or record three things at once.

If only it were that simple. Like I said...I can't even get onto the third tuner until I get the other 2 recording. And when I do, I get no signal from that tuner. I can't even get it to record anything after the other 2 is recording.

try resetting everything. hoppers have a red reset button behind the front flap. Joeys will reset by holding the power button.

Also, is the same thing happening on both hoppers?

try resetting everything. hoppers have a red reset button behind the front flap. Joeys will reset by holding the power button.

Also, is the same thing happening on both hoppers?

Tried that, and yes same thing on both hoppers. I'm assuming then that this isn't supposed to happen.

If your third tuner has no signal, and resetting doesn't work, then there is a problem with your installation. What sats are you looking at? Press YELLOW button twice to go to Point Dish. Use the menu to select the sat, TP and which of the three tuners to check. All three tuners should have the same signal readings.

I see that you have two Hoppers. Sounds to me like the third feed from the DPP is not working. Could be a switch, line, or node issue.

If your third tuner has no signal, and resetting doesn't work, then there is a problem with your installation. What sats are you looking at? Press YELLOW button twice to go to Point Dish. Use the menu to select the sat, TP and which of the three tuners to check. All three tuners should have the same signal readings.

I see that you have two Hoppers. Sounds to me like the third feed from the DPP is not working. Could be a switch, line, or node issue.

Looks like you are right. The third tuner is not getting a signal. Sounds like I need to call Dish to come back out? or is there anything I can do to to troubleshoot it myself.

I think I'm looking at sats 110, 119, and 129 (that's what on the check switch screen--which has all green checks for all 3 tuners). All three tuners has signal for all sats with the exception of tuner 3 at sat 110. I only looked at these for transponder 18.

On the Check Switch screen run the test. See if it mentions seeing less sats. Do not save changes if it detects less sats.

Then this doesn't seem like a line issue. Do both hoppers have all the checks after running the test on each one?

Also, after pressing Yellow twice, what are your signal strengths on 110/119 TPs 14,15,16,21 and on 129 TPs 19,20,29,30? Same for all tuners?

Then this doesn't seem like a line issue. Do both hoppers have all the checks after running the test on each one?

Also, after pressing Yellow twice, what are your signal strengths on 110/119 TPs 14,15,16,21 and on 129 TPs 19,20,29,30? Same for all tuners?

just checked, yes and yes.

Well, thinking about this again, it seems that this the above checks should work because the all 3 tuners do work when the hopper uses 2 and the joey uses 1. It seems that the problem only happens when the hopper tries to use all 3 tuners by itself. /confused

Last edited:
Weird. Both of my Hoppers that are still on S207 have no such issues. I guess it's time for you to contact DISH. Go here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php , scroll to the bottom with the User list, click one of the guys in red, and drop them a PM. They probably won't answer back tonight as their work hours ended about 30 minutes ago. Tomorrow you should get a response (if whoever you choose is working tomorrow, their hours are on their profiles.) Good luck! Try and post back what the issue was if you get it resolved. The more we all know, the better. My guess would be a node issue but I can't say for sure.

Weird. Both of my Hoppers that are still on S207 have no such issues. I guess it's time for you to contact DISH. Go here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php , scroll to the bottom with the User list, click one of the guys in red, and drop them a PM. They probably won't answer back tonight as their work hours ended about 30 minutes ago. Tomorrow you should get a response (if whoever you choose is working tomorrow, their hours are on their profiles.) Good luck! Try and post back what the issue was if you get it resolved. The more we all know, the better. My guess would be a node issue but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for your help anyway. I guess I will effectively have a 2 tuner hopper for now. Not good.

Not good at all. Hopefully DIRT can fix you up. Who knows, maybe it's something that can be fixed without a truck roll (one can hope anyway...)

This isn't just you. I know one of my Hoppers does the same thing, only allowing access to 2 of the 3 tuners at times, and other times showing all in use and allowing switching between all three. It shows Tuner 3 as "Available" but changing channels or selecting it doesn't have any affect - just changes the channel on whichever tuner it's already on. I also have signal on all 3 Tuners via Diagnostics, so it's not a line issue. I'm wondering if it's reading "Available" but actually being used in the background for download, or if it's just a bug. Happened on 2.07 and still happening on 2.09.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned in your first post that it reads signal loss on that tuner, which mine doesn't do, so not sure now...but regardless, I do have times - like right now - when I also don't have access to Tuner 3, even though it reads Available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)