Verizon TV Service big news:

I've got wind that Verizon and Tivo have been talking for the last month or so. I find this very interesting simply because one Comcast just inked a deal and secondly Verizon is going for the high end TV customers and Tivo is considered a high end PVR software solution.

Just something else to think about and I for one hope that Tivo gets a deal with Verizon. Also the Microsoft deal included only hardware and the software to deal with the encoding and decoding of WMV9 which happens to be a form of MPEG4. Now from what I've been told is that the Microsoft deal doesn't include IPG related stuff so Verizon can choose software that cable companies use, Microsoft software, Moxi software or even Tivo software.

Also I have heard that Verizon is building their DVR solution to be ready for multiroom viewing even if not available at launch it has to be very easy and cheap to add afterwards.

I'm also hearing that Verizon is planning at least in the Tampa Bay area to offer all premium channels East and West HD feeds assuming the channel has a West feed of course.

korsjs said:
your the man. glad i have someone like you in the bay area.

I thank ya but remember in this field you will be let down if you get your hopes up too often and this Verizon rollout will have its stops considering its nature which is both price and city permits and of course we can't leave out damage.

At least you don't have to deal with the government who can't make up their mind for more than 10 seconds and I've talked to Bush Jr. and I have to repeat things many times because he never listens the first time around. At least Bill listened because he was the only president I've dealt with that asked more questions relating to what was asked by me. Now granted I've only talked to three total presidents and the third is Bush Sr. but you wouldn't think it but Sr. is a very smart and aware guy and its a shame his son is all the way on the other end from his father. I've also talked to Jeb and he can also follow along with ease.

I know this was off topic but I had to say this because it just so happens that about 8 hours ago I had to deal with Jr. who just couldn't quite stay focused.

Found this on another website:

Some tidbits on FiOS Video...

FiOS video, and the FAQs about the switch include some information about the video offering I had not seen on this forum yet - enjoy:

1) What type of set top box will FiOS video require? The FiOS video system utilizes Motorola Set Top Boxes (STBs), which will be available in three styles: 1) basic video, with stereo outputs, along with composite video and S-video outputs, 2) same as above, with HDTV capabilities, and 3) same as above, with DVR capability.

2) Will DVR boxes for FiOS Video be extra? Yes, the DVR set top box is currently priced at $12.95 per month and is HDTV enabled. The set top box with HDTV is currently priced at $9.95 per month, and the basic set top box is currently priced at $3.95 per month. One basic set top box is included in the HOA fee.

3) What type of programming will be available with FiOS Video? The FiOS Video service is designed to offer the following: approximately 16 HD National channels and 9 Local Broadcast HD channels, approximately 400 digital channels, approximately 20 PPV channels, and approximately 1800 “on-demand” titles.

...the rest were specific to the community schedule so I did not include them

http://www.broadbandreports.com/speak/print/default;12946310

thanks for posting. the price of the dvrhd looks a little high. but with the channels they say they are going to have, it still looks very attractive.

I wonder if there is a "DVR service" fee. If not the price is reasonable

From the people I've talked with this is what they are looking at when it comes to set-top boxes at least in the Tampa Bay area.

Basic set-top box will cost 6.95/month.
HDTV set-top (non DVR) will cost 9.95/month
SD DVR (non HD) will cost 9.95/month
HD DVR will cost either 12.95 or 13.95/month.

All above prices are total prices so that means that the DVR boxes include the DVR fee in it. Right now BHN charges 9.95/month for HD DVR service plus 6.95/month for the rental of the HD DVR which makes that HD DVR cost a total of 17.00/month so the Verizon offering would be either 3 or 4 dollars cheaper per month with many more HD channels along with it.

That does not sound too bad considering the cost of these receivers and they swap it out when it comes time to upgrade at probably no cost. If something goes wrong they would replace it.

FiOS Programming Update:

Two separate agreements, first with Starz. Aggreements for east AND west feeds of ALL channels, as well as Starz On Demand and HD.
http://i-newswire.com/pr15171.html

Separatly an agreement with NBCU channels include Bravo, CNBC, CNBC World, MSNBC, SCI FI Channel, Trio, USA, ShopNBC, Telemundo, mun2, and Universal HD

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/04-18-2005/0003432925&EDATE=

I'm telling you Fios is looking better and better everyday. Fios internet is already available in my area so I am expecting my area to be one of the first roll outs of the TV service.

So long Dish. This might be the best replacement for Voom! :)

EDIT: Sorry, saw that LXP had a separate topic for the Starz! news, but didn't see anything on NBC.

yanks2402 said:
FiOS Programming Update:

Two separate agreements, first with Starz. Aggreements for east AND west feeds of ALL channels, as well as Starz On Demand and HD.
http://i-newswire.com/pr15171.html

Separatly an agreement with NBCU channels include Bravo, CNBC, CNBC World, MSNBC, SCI FI Channel, Trio, USA, ShopNBC, Telemundo, mun2, and Universal HD

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/04-18-2005/0003432925&EDATE=

I'm telling you Fios is looking better and better everyday. Fios internet is already available in my area so I am expecting my area to be one of the first roll outs of the TV service.

So long Dish. This might be the best replacement for Voom! :)

EDIT: Sorry, saw that LXP had a separate topic for the Starz! news, but didn't see anything on NBC.

You were first on the NBC deal as it was most likely new.

It depends on when your areas franchize agreement runs out with the local cable company.

Once VZ signs with the local cable commision than Video service should roll out via fios.

Read About My Nightmare As A Dish Network Customer!

Newbies looking for a vendor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)