Video Game Deals

Not amazing but it definitely looks a little better than the Xbox games for this month to me. I'll give Dust and Spelunky a try. I'll probably check out Drive Club too even though I don't really care about racing games. I don't see myself playing it more than once or twice but I'd like to see what a first party racing game looks like on the PS4. I definitely won't be throwing down $50 for the full version.

Terrible month of Plus for me. Batman AA is a total joke. Don't get me wrong. It's one of my favorite all time games. But it's five years old and we already got Batman AC, the sequel, a few months ago. I'd rather have more indies or a mediocre two year old game than an ancient AAA title that every self-respecting gamer should have played already. I'm also getting tired of all these retro-style games hitting Plus. Is there anything else even coming out anymore?

Terrible month of Plus for me. Batman AA is a total joke. Don't get me wrong. It's one of my favorite all time games. But it's five years old and we already got Batman AC, the sequel, a few months ago. I'd rather have more indies or a mediocre two year old game than an ancient AAA title that every self-respecting gamer should have played already. I'm also getting tired of all these retro-style games hitting Plus. Is there anything else even coming out anymore?
Well the PS4 has been out for about a year now, so the last gen games are really going to die down. And while I'm not against the Indie games, I would prefer some full $60 releases starting to come on the PS+. I think 1 indie/PSN and 1 $60 title would be good for the PS4 at this point.

Well the PS4 has been out for about a year now, so the last gen games are really going to die down. And while I'm not against the Indie games, I would prefer some full $60 releases starting to come on the PS+. I think 1 indie/PSN and 1 $60 title would be good for the PS4 at this point.

As long as Sony is committed to giving us two games for each system, there's no reason they can't do a better job of pulling decent and more recent AAA titles from the vast PS3 back catalog. There are still a number of games that EU got that we still haven't, including ACIII, Far Cry III, Mass Effect 3, Catherine, and Guacamelee (I could list several others). And as recently as this summer, EU got a couple of fairly recent LEGO games for the Vita. US has never gotten a LEGO game for PS3 or Vita. Such an old Batman game just makes no sense no matter how you slice it given the history of Plus. It would actually make more sense if we stopped getting AAA titles altogether for PS3 and got all smaller/indie titles instead, as that's how it all started.

Green Man Gaming is a site I need to check out more often. Just about every time I do they have some type of promo code listed for a percentage off almost any game. The current promo code, OCTOBE-R25OFF-GMGXXX, is good for 25% off and it works for brand new games. I'm tempted to pick up Shadow of Mordor. It was $49.99 on PC versus the $59.99 console price to begin with and this promo brings it down to $37.50. I doubt we'll see a better deal than that until Black Friday or the Steam holiday sale.

The only thing holding me back is all the fall games I want to play. Gamefly will be keeping me busy this fall. By the time I'm ready to play this it will probably be available for less money.

Green Man Gaming is a site I need to check out more often. Just about every time I do they have some type of promo code listed for a percentage off almost any game. The current promo code, OCTOBE-R25OFF-GMGXXX, is good for 25% off and it works for brand new games. I'm tempted to pick up Shadow of Mordor. It was $49.99 on PC versus the $59.99 console price to begin with and this promo brings it down to $37.50. I doubt we'll see a better deal than that until Black Friday or the Steam holiday sale.

The only thing holding me back is all the fall games I want to play. Gamefly will be keeping me busy this fall. By the time I'm ready to play this it will probably be available for less money.
GMG has had a number of good deals on new/pre release games. I got Batman: Arkham Knight at that price not too long ago, and I was able to get Assassin's Creed: Liberation (Normally $20) for $4 as a preorder deal.

As a single player game with a bunch of DLC in the pipeline, I suspect the price on Shadow of Mordor will drop pretty quickly. I was targeting this for a BF buy until I learned that the game's touted Nemesis system will be less robust in the PS3/360 version, which also won't get released until Nov. 14.:(

http://store.steampowered.com//sub/52255

Steam has a "Ubi Arcade Pack" on sale for $20. This includes Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, and Trials Fusion. My main interest is in Child of Light and Valiant Hearts and those are each available on their own for $7.49. Trials Fusion is available on it's own for $10 too.

I have passed up that price on Child of Light before but this time I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm basically getting both Child of Light and Valiant Hearts for the price of one of those games so I'm ok with that. I also have about $5 in Steam credit from selling trading cards so that helps a little too.

Edit: Now watch them both show up on PS Plus/Games with Gold in the next couple months.

Last edited:

Cool. I've been trying to play this to get a feel for the story before Dragon Age Inquisition comes out but I'm having trouble with the combat. Basically, I've reached a point in the story where me and my companions are constantly dying even on easy mode. I realize I'm bringing the problem on myself because I've been trying to do the combat in real time like you would in the console version. On the PC they want you to pause every time you come across enemies and go into tactical mode. You are supposed to assign commands to your squad and take out the enemy strategically. I'm just having a hard time getting into it that way.

Now it's probably 50-50 whether I adapt and finish the story or just skip 1 and 2 and go right into Inquisition. I like the Mass Effect style dialog and story but I wish it would let me play like it was an action game too. Mass Effect could also pass for a decent 3rd person shooter if you took all the RPG elements away from it. The actual gameplay in Dragon Age just isn't as much fun.

Cool. I've been trying to play this to get a feel for the story before Dragon Age Inquisition comes out but I'm having trouble with the combat. Basically, I've reached a point in the story where me and my companions are constantly dying even on easy mode. I realize I'm bringing the problem on myself because I've been trying to do the combat in real time like you would in the console version. On the PC they want you to pause every time you come across enemies and go into tactical mode. You are supposed to assign commands to your squad and take out the enemy strategically. I'm just having a hard time getting into it that way.

Now it's probably 50-50 whether I adapt and finish the story or just skip 1 and 2 and go right into Inquisition. I like the Mass Effect style dialog and story but I wish it would let me play like it was an action game too. Mass Effect could also pass for a decent 3rd person shooter if you took all the RPG elements away from it. The actual gameplay in Dragon Age just isn't as much fun.

You could always just go straight to DAII. That's what I did. After playing the ME series, I carefully researched both DA games and played the 60-minute trial version for each on the PSN and ultimately decided I'd be better off making DAII my first fantasy RPG experience, as it would be closer to my ME experience. I'm not entirely sure what I missed out on beyond a couple of side missions in DAII that are only triggered by importing a DA:O save and probably a few bits of dialogue, but the DAII story seems fairly self contained once you learn the basics of the world (politics, religion, factions, etc.), which I did through carefully reading the many codex entries. The combat in DAII, at least on console, is more of a hybrid of real time and pause menu tactics. Except for major bosses, you could almost hack and slash your way through every fight on easy difficulty with the right gear and build.