VIP 622/722 "audio dropout" issues with ABC & Fox. Anyone know WHY? A fix for it?

dudeman739

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
North Carolina
I live in the Raleigh/Wake Forest, NC area. For the past 2 months, I get this "audio dropout" issue with ABC and Fox when I playback pre-recorded programs from the DVR.

Is the problem with my VIP722 HD receiver ... OR is it the local ABC and Fox affiliates and their equipment? A problem with upgrading their equipment for the transition to digital TV?

I can playback pre-recorded programs from the DVR of ALL other channels with NO audio dropouts .... EXCEPT for ABC and Fox. ABC especially has a lot of audio dropouts.

There's nothing wrong with the wiring in my house or my HDMI cables or my Onkyo SR604 audio receiver! I have returned TWO VIP622 boxes. I just got the VIP722 and it has the same exact problem with "audio dropouts". The technicians who have come out to the house are blaming the problem on my audio equipment. Are they doing this on purpose or are the top level engineers at Dish Network just refusing to tell them "the real problem" for some reason? It sure seems like the problem is with the SOFTWARE for the VIP722 to me. My 622 box was working just fine up until about 2 months ago.

Why would these problems be occuring only on TWO channels? If it was the wiring or my audio receiver wouldn't the "audio dropouts" be happening on ALL the channels? Anyone know what the deal is? Dish Network people on the phone can't tell me. The technicians that come to the house can't seem to figure it out either.

Any replies to this issue would be appreciated. This issue is driving me nuts. :mad:

ABC and Fox are 720p. NBC and CBS are 1080i. Their seems to be an issue with recent software and 720p channels. L6.15 was to be a fix, but it seems to be buggy and introducing new problems, so the slowed its rollout. At least that's what I gather.

ABC and Fox are 720p. NBC and CBS are 1080i. Their seems to be an issue with recent software and 720p channels. L6.15 was to be a fix, but it seems to be buggy and introducing new problems, so the slowed its rollout. At least that's what I gather.

There are no problems with L615 that are consistent over all areas.

There are problems with L615 in HD locals in Saint Louis, Missouri - no other problems are reported by more than one user.

There are no problems with L615 that are consistent over all areas.

There are problems with L615 in HD locals in Saint Louis, Missouri - no other problems are reported by more than one user.

Than why has it not been pushed out? Only a few ZIP codes and serial numbers have seemed to get it. I don't have it, either. Also, why did Dish ask for Scott to start an "L6.15 Issues" thread?

Thanks for your replies. So it's the 720p channels. I have version L6.14 on my 722 box. Maybe this L6.14 software update messed up those 720p local HD channels? I cannot even get L6.15 to download and update on my 722 box. I couldn't do it with my previous two 622 boxes either.

Will I have to wait another couple months for a version L6.16 or something? We are paying for the Gold level channels and I cannot watch the shows I most want to record and see on ABC and Fox.

Has anyone gotten an email back from Dish Network's engineering department letting everyone know that they are working on this problem 24/7?

Than why has it not been pushed out? Only a few ZIP codes and serial numbers have seemed to get it. I don't have it, either. Also, why did Dish ask for Scott to start an "L6.15 Issues" thread?

I asked Scott. They are monitoring here and at the other site.

S~

They are working on another update. The problem wasn't completely fixed. A beta version has spooled since 6.15. It's the holidays. Don't expect much until the New Year.

S~

Lots of threads on this one, and several on WTVD ABC 11's issues in particular. I live in Raleigh and have been experiencing this problem for a couple of months. I contacted DISH Tech Support and they first said it was a hardware issue, and they replaced my 622. I didn't work. Now they say its a software issue, and they say just wait for the L615 upgrade...but can't tell us when we'll get it in Raleigh area...idiots! I contacted the head engineer at WTVD several days ago and told him about the problem. He reverted to an earlier encoder, and it seemed to correct the issue based on one test (pausing GMA Saturday morning with no blips)...but I come back into town today and the problem is back. Checked with the engineer and he said he didn't revert back. He is baffled and said he would need to speak with DISH engineers on Monday when he returns. I have told DISH tech support they have less than 2 months to fix this or I am going back to Directv when my contract is up in Feb.

My advice - contact the station and make sure they know about the problem.

I can tell you it is fixed with L615 for WTVD and WRAZ. Not sure when Dish is going to finish rolling it out though.

Ted

I can confirm that the audo dropout issue is not corrected in L615. The issue continues to occur on 722 with with HD Locals and all other HD channels.

It sounds like you have a bad signal, a busted 722, or something. The problem that the vast majority of people were complaining of applies to satellite-delivered ABC and Fox only.

It sounds like you have a bad signal, a busted 722, or something. The problem that the vast majority of people were complaining of applies to satellite-delivered ABC and Fox only.

I can report that I have v6.14 and have noticed audio dropouts on several HD channels, both satellite and local-OTA, for several weeks if not longer. Pretty much everything I watch is pre-recorded. I'll try to confirm if it's only occuring on channels broadcasting in 720p.

Usually, the dropouts are just for 1 second, but there have been a few times where it would lose sound and not come back until I backed up the program and replayed. I had similar problems with my TWC SA8300HD when it was connected via HDMI. But, since I've not had any sound problems with that box since I switched it to component-video & RCA-audio cables, I just figured it's an HDMI issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)