VIP 722 install today- help!

vabell52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 31, 2006
ohio
I've read through the posts and I'm still unsure of the 722 dvr capabilities. Is it possible to record off tv1 while watching another channel on same tv1? I have only 1 HD tv in family room that would be used for the 722. Prefer to watch that HD tv and record another channel at same time. Have 322 in bedroom that also tunes basement tv, both old SD tvs. As I'm really leery of the installers knowledge (past experience) would you guys give me your reccomendation for the preferable setup?

No you can't record a channel on tv1 AND record a different channel on tv1. You can watch an already recorded program via tv1 while recording on tv1. If tv1 is going to be used for your main tv viewing, go into the menu & set tv2 as the default for recording. This will allow you to watch your main tv & still record a different program.

If you set the ViP722 to single mode, you can record your brains out.

Correct. In single mode, you can record two programs at the same time.
You can watch one program while recording another.

If you have an antenna to pull in local HD stations, you can record three programs at the same time (one from the antenna). Or you can watch one program while recording two others (one of the three must be from the antenna).

You can even record three programs while watching two recorded programs (using picture in picture).

No you can't record a channel on tv1 AND record a different channel on tv1. You can watch an already recorded program via tv1 while recording on tv1. If tv1 is going to be used for your main tv viewing, go into the menu & set tv2 as the default for recording. This will allow you to watch your main tv & still record a different program.

I want to record on tv1(HD) and watch another live show on tv1(HD) as my other tvs are SD. Am I correct in that the setup would be single mode? This is something I change in the modes on the receiver? Should I have the installer set up for 2 tvs and then I can just change the mode to single when recording while viewing another channel? I guess what I'm concerned about is using all the capapbilites of the receiver. He's here now and seems very uncertain with his response to my questions.:confused:

Hook the 722 soley to your HDTV and put it in single mode, changing the mode is nothing more then opening up the right side of the box and exposing all the buttons, there's one labeled mode.

Have your 322 hooked up to your other 2 tvs.(basement/bedroom)

He's probably uncertain because your uncertain, don't sweat it, don't over think it.

I've read through the posts and I'm still unsure of the 722 dvr capabilities. Is it possible to record off tv1 while watching another channel on same tv1? I have only 1 HD tv in family room that would be used for the 722. Prefer to watch that HD tv and record another channel at same time. Have 322 in bedroom that also tunes basement tv, both old SD tvs. As I'm really leery of the installers knowledge (past experience) would you guys give me your reccomendation for the preferable setup?

You can set the recording default to TV 2 which frees up TV 1. You can't record on TV 1 and use that tuner to watch something else. If you program a HD show in the DVR it will be in HD as long as you record off of a HD ch. The DVR doesn't care what TV you are watching. You watch the HD shows on your HD TV and the SD shows on TV 2. It just depends on your personal pref.

TV1 and TV2 are outputs not tuners. In single mode you do not specify which tuner does the recording, it just does.

It will work fine for you, don't worry, be happy.

TV1 and TV2 are outputs not tuners. In single mode you do not specify which tuner does the recording, it just does.

It will work fine for you, don't worry, be happy.

Forum newbe here

This is just what I was looking for. I am making the switch from Comcast to Dish. They are coming out tomorrow to do the install. I told them over the phone I just want to 722 to control one tv. ( since I like to record and watch different shows on the same tv) they acted like I was from Mars when I said this. But after awhile they said they could do it.

I was a little worried about how the recording would work with just one tv but after reading this thread it sounds pretty simple.

Will they install an OTA anttena for me or is that something I have to do?

I did mine myself. It was very easy but I did run plenty of RG6 when I built the house had had some already in the attic. I think you could get them to do it for a price.

I also just "moved" so now I can record HD from the networks on all 3 tuners since my locals were only SD. Had to setup the recordings again but it's very cool to be able to do this.

I got my install yesterday, and everything looks great. Very happy I made the switch. They didn't do the OTA for me, so I think i will try to do it this weekend. How will I know what channels are coming from the OTA? Will they show up differently on the quide?

I got my install yesterday, and everything looks great. Very happy I made the switch. They didn't do the OTA for me, so I think i will try to do it this weekend. How will I know what channels are coming from the OTA? Will they show up differently on the quide?

If you subscribe to locals, the OTA channels will appear as yellow hilited channels on the allsub list and will include all the program info.

If you do not subscribe to locals, they will still be yellow but will say Program Data, or something like that, no program info.

Look at AntennaWeb and TV Fool - Home to see which channels you may expect to receive via antenna.

The bigger your antenna, the more channels you MAY receive, depending on local conditions.

After you have the OTA antenna connected do a channel scan for locals and hope you find zillions.

Yes, In yellow. Mine have the ch. # as .o1. Examole: Channel 25- 25 1st, then next slot down says 25.01. There are also other feeds that are part of the local ch. you pull in.

On mine they go like: 25, 25.01, 25.02, 25.03, etc. Not all of them will have the xtra feeds. When you want to record alocal ch. in HD IF you don't get locals from Dish use the OTA ch. if it's in HD. All of mine broadcast in HD. Good luck & have fun. :up

Don't forget to go into your receiver and search for the local OTA channels after adding your OTA antenna. After doing this, mine found all but 1 and I had to set that one up myself.

Yes as long as you subscribe to locals from E* you will see the OTA in the guide. Otherwise, you will need to set them up to record manually.

Can I still set up the record weekly new shows only over the OTA ?

Yes, I record several shows that way. The DVR doesn't care how you record as long as it's working properly. I've had had the 722 for almost 3 mos. and I am very impressed with its "Workhorse" abilities. This DVR is by far the nicest one I've ever used for recording. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts