ViP 922 Software update to S124

I would hope / think that they differentiate the two but the problem could be it's a simple as a "sling-enable=no" that's set on receivers activated after the cut-off date. Who knows if they look at internal Sling vs external Sling. We'll see if someone finds out the hard way!

Maybe that difference on Sling delivery between the 722 and 922 is why they will not be turning it on for new customers of 922's in the future.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I think the reason they are doing this is because the 922 sucks so bad.

By not enabling Sling on new connects with a 922, it may stop calls to customer service about Sling. I personally think this is a way to try to dump the 922 and clear inventory. Instead of it being looked at like a top tier model, it's now just your basic dual tuner HD dvr and they can keep chipping away at their stock pile of sub pay boxes.

Clearing out unused stock I imagine. But they will be replacing them eventually. They are already taking out all older receivers that can't work on eastern arc. Just a matter of time before they get it all down to just Vip class of receivers and the Hopper class. Then I imagine they will work to eliminate the Vip class ,since it doesn't make them as much in monthly fees as the Hopper class does.

I wonder if they turn off the sling feature, will they allow you to sling using a sling adapter like the 722k does?

Sling adapters will not be allowed on Sling disabled 922 receivers. Basically the 922 will just be a slightly more advanced 722 receiver.

Sling adapters will not be allowed on Sling disabled 922 receivers. Basically the 922 will just be a slightly more advanced 722 receiver.
Slightly more advanced and at $10.00 monthly fee on the 922 vs the $7.00 monthly fee on the 722k. I don't see how they can charge the extra $3.00 fee on the 922 since the sling feature won't work anymore. They should pull the unused stock of 922s and recycle them. It makes no since to even issue the 922 if they don't have the sling feature enabled any longer, unless they reduce the fee to the same $7.00 monthly fee as the 722k.

Reactions: TheKrell and AZ.
Slightly more advanced and at $10.00 monthly fee on the 922 vs the $7.00 monthly fee on the 722k. I don't see how they can charge the extra $3.00 fee on the 922 since the sling feature won't work anymore. They should pull the unused stock of 922s and recycle them. It makes no since to even issue the 922 if they don't have the sling feature enabled any longer, unless they reduce the fee to the same $7.00 monthly fee as the 722k.

I agree, they should drop the fee on them now that the Sling feature is gone.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and AZ.
I'm sure all the options were looked and and I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice either way. But I'm thinking the cost for techs, phone calls and replacements must have been easier to swallow than the figures if they were scrapped /recycled.

But I'm thinking the cost for techs, phone calls and replacements must have been easier to swallow than the figures if they were scrapped /recycled.
True, the cost of tech visits or support calls are more a case of "if they happen" vs "will happen" by scrapping them.

If customers have bad experiences from the 922 then couldn't that cost them customers that would want to switch as a result of the bad experiences? Or perhaps cause them to get under another 2 year agreement enticing them to upgrade to the Hopper.

Just went to my local seller.....I have 2 dish accounts....The one back home is a 922....The one out here I am switching to Direct...We started talking about the 922....lol.... she had nothing good to say...I told here went through 3 in the first year...but over 2 1/2 been working good....Should of seen her face when she heard 922...LOL priceless!