VIP DVR Price Increase

90% of new customers just want a box that gives them channels on their TV. They don't know, nor care, about VIP, 722, Hopper, Joey, etc.
95% of customers that want 2 or more rooms of DVR aren't given a 722.
So while I agree somewhat with your statement, they also want the product they see advertised every day.

I'm really glad I don't have dish now.

The receiver fees will just eat you alive. I used to have 6 722's that they where billing me $17 each.
If you had dish now, you'd have a Hopper3 and 5 Joeys, and your receiver fees would be almost half of what they were with all those 722s, and still no more than a comparable setup with any other major provider.

they also want the product they see advertised every day.
Advertised where ? I'm not so sure that the few Hopper commercials that are seen by Dish customers aren't simply ads that have been inserted over top of regular ads. If that's the case, non-Dish customers aren't seeing Hopper ads at all.

Reactions: sam_gordon
With the few commercials I actually catch, I've seen more SlingTv commercials than I have Dish and of those for Dish they have been promoting the Flex packs with no mention of equipment needed or offered.

Advertised where ? I'm not so sure that the few Hopper commercials that are seen by Dish customers aren't simply ads that have been inserted over top of regular ads. If that's the case, non-Dish customers aren't seeing Hopper ads at all.
There may be less now, I agree.
But from 2012-now, there were lots of Hopper commercials.

And lots of providers advertising the crap out of the ability resume and share content throughout the whole house, as well as have the ability to Hide Small Clients at each wall mounted TV.
I've not seen any advertising implying that a VIP DVR is even offered in 5 plus years.

Customers are not as stupid as you may think.
I think thats Dish networks biggest problem.
They think people are stupid.

You can't raise rates, and drop things and expect people to just suck it up on a monthly basis.

Com'on Hall you know darn well customers of this technology Era know exactly what they want.
And Dish isn't going to promote a 10 year old Technology to a New Customer.

10 years ago I would agree with you 100%

a box that gives them channels on their TV.

ITS when that ONE box quits giving you TV they have a problem. Thats the issue i have with going to the HOPPER. DISH is pushing you to ONE receiver. NO better than DISH receivers LAST I have always told MY old customers to get two Hoppers. They live in rual america and they have to wait several DAYS to get a replacement BOX. CHARLIE is STILL worried about someone getting FREE TV OFF HIM.

MY best friend and customer called the other day and now going to the H3. It seems now you can only get one BOX.

They have that magic wand.

It's made of solid gold, wrapped in a LOT of cash. And when they wave it, cash flies off.

So I think it will be years before it's waved at the ViP series. MOST ViP users will have voluntarily moved on to the Hopper series. Maybe the H5, if it goes that far.

But make no mistake about it. The ViP series is near dead. They will not upgrade it much more. Most all bugs are squashed. Hardware limitations restrict any new features. New encryption and UHD are coming. And channels will migrate.

One day, the repurposed Audit Police will bash in doors and confiscate ViP receivers, replacing them with Hoppers.

:D
But if only they can get the H3 working well by now (a sarcastic statement about Dish, not meant to disagree with you; I agree with you:)). In the past, about 1 year (IMHO according to my memory) was the point at which new boxes would become very stable and major bugs and issues resolved. But with yours truly ready to POUNCE on two H3's as soon as the DPH42 is available, I am still reading about a host of problems and feture losses on the H3. And as far as a future product like an H4 or H5, do you really think that will come about? I am thinking the H3 could be Dish's LAST great STB as Charlie seems headed for the future with SlingTV. I suppose I could see faster processors, more memeory, etc in future H3's, but not much else. An H3 like product could probably see Dish through for years as "Dish no longer is Dish," according the the greasy T-Mobile CEO :).

With the few commercials I actually catch, I've seen more SlingTv commercials than I have Dish and of those for Dish they have been promoting the Flex packs with no mention of equipment needed or offered.
Agreed. I think it is because almost everybody is LOOKING for an ATERNATIVE to cable and sat. Also, Charlie sees the furute of his comapny in SlingTV, not Dish DBS, and we will have to see how Charlie will deal with all the spectrum he has.

A few questions that I do not think have been answered:

What about subscribers with older MPEG-2 DVRs? Will those stay at the old rate, or will they also increase to the same rate as the ViPs?

What about subscribers who activate a 922 after January 17? Will that still be $10 per month, or is Dish no longer going to activate 922's after January 17?

What about the grandfathered $12 per month Hopper DVR fee? Will that continue, or is that also going up to $15 per month?

I don't understand how the ViP 612 is outdated. Keep in mind, I'm currently watching Rush - Exit Stage Left on my RCA CED SelectaVision Videodisc player from the early 80's. :biggrin

6By7bk0.jpg

I don't understand how the ViP 612 is outdated. Keep in mind, I'm currently watching Rush - Exit Stage Left on my RCA CED SelectaVision Videodisc player from the early 80's. :biggrin
Wow! A CED in the wild! I'm surprised it's still running after almost 40 years. No surprise, then, that you like the old dinosaur ViP 612!

I went with the LaserDisc format players, all the way from the top-loading Pioneer with neon gas laser, to a pair of front-loading Magnavox and Sony LD players, until I ended up with my Pioneer DVL-909 LD and DVD combo player that plays both sides of the LD without flipping the disc. But watching a LD today on my HDTV just looks horrible, even worse than DishNetwork SD! To think that 35 years ago I thought it was the best picture and sound ever, well...

I always found the blue LED on the black ViP-series to be too bright. I had some blue vinyl tape that worked to cut it down to an acceptable level.

I currently have 3 722s and a 612. For now, they just work. But I am planning to upgarde to H3/Joeys soon. Dish has told me I can get an H3 and 5 joeys with no upfront cost.

I guess I'll have to wait until my next bill is generated on 2/6 to see what happens. Any other ViP users getting new bills earlier than that?

I guess I'll have to wait until my next bill is generated on 2/6 to see what happens. Any other ViP users getting new bills earlier than that?

My bill's generated on the 29th of every month. I have one 722K and am currently paying the $7 DVR fee.

I'll let this thread know, what happens unless you guys find out already.

Am I the only one not having any major problems on any Hopper I have had(other than one I junked on accident)? The issues I have experienced have been minor at the very most.

Reactions: patmurphey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)