VOD Comment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I'd like to say I enjoy what they have done with it so far. I have used it off and on, but recently have been grabbing Dexter season 1 and some stuff off USA.

1) It allows you to pick low or high quality for download. The high quality is a pretty quick get and PQ is good
2) I also like if you go pick 4 episodes from a show, all 4 will be in your playlist in a folder, with one showing as downloading as the other 3 as pending. Reminds you what is on the way.

It may not be the best out there but I think they have done a good job with it.

only thing I don't like is inconsistent DL speeds. One time a show/movie will take a while to download, then next it will zip thru at streaming capable speeds. I have a 50/8 internet connection and have watched my router showing that I am getting ONLY 1-1.5 download from DTV. I know it is not the internet connection as I can run a speed test or start Netflix/other streams and pull full 50 mbps down. soon as I stop those the DL goes right back to crawling. But then an hour later I can pick a new movie and it will come in at 12-15 mbps, plenty fast to start watching within moments.

I have seen that as well, but I also get the same result on Amazon and Netflix. Guess it depends on the load.

I never have issues with Amazon or Netflix like that though, worst case with them is I see 3 meg on a SD stream or 5 on a HD stream both of which are perfectly fine to watch without stutter/quality loss. DTV when running slow will not seem to autorecover, if it starts slow it stays slow and you have to wait on the DL to complete. but if it starts with good speed you can give it a minute to buffer some and watch without a hiccup. I think they just are experiencing growing pains as more folks stream than they expected or have capacity to handle.

Im only 6mbps DSL right now though, I have problems a LOT lol. Trying to get mediacom to help out. I usually plan my directv downloads at bedtime, then go to sleep and let it work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)