Volume Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
It gets annoying when I change channels in my FTA receiver. The volume on some channels are so loud I had to lower it. Then when I go to another channel I had to increase it. :(
I read sometime ago of a device that can be added that will regulate the volume automatically. Do anyone remember what it is called? One of our members mentioned this in one of the threads.
Thanks!

It gets annoying when I change channels in my FTA receiver. The volume on some channels are so loud I had to lower it. Then when I go to another channel I had to increase it. :(
I read sometime ago of a device that can be added that will regulate the volume automatically. Do anyone remember what it is called? One of our members mentioned this in one of the threads.
Thanks!

Oooooo! I hate that too! A few channels like White Springs is horribly loud and distorted and others I can barely hear even with the volume up full.
I'm hearing impaired so it's a real problem for me. Every time I change channels I have to remember to turn the volume all the way down first, change the channel then raise it back up. It's such a bother.

I would gladly buy one of those gadgets. Especially for screaming commercials, like beard boy and his Orange-glo and Oxyclean tirades. :eek:

This is a widespread problem. Some TV's claim to address the issue, but my Philips TV, and the Sony & Panasonic TV's my friends have don't seem to help.

There is a Sat Guys review for this unit that is reported to remedy this problem.

Unfortunately, I've never seen automatic audio level control in a FTA receiver. I've seen it on audio and other video equipment, but never on a receiver. It can be annoying, especially on RTN (RTV, whatever ;) )... The audio level during programming is very low, but annoyingly higher during commercial breaks. Also, audio levels on RTV are lower in general than on other channels.

Hiya MrFTAman, I sent you a PM, not sure about posting links, but I have one of those things & am satisfied when using it. I use mine when playing the audio through the surround sound. It can be connected from the FTA receiver to the AUDIO-IN on the TV set, if you want to do it that way. It looks larger in the picture than it is, it'll fit easily into a shirt pocket!!

:angel:

Now all I need is a device that blocks the alligator-eating-the-beaver commercial that my OTA RetroTV shows 50 times a day

I have one of those things & am satisfied when using it. I use mine when playing the audio through the surround sound
What exact device you're talking about? Can you post a modified link? Can it connect several stbs at once to its IN ports? Does it work with AC3 too? Minicom seems to be RCA only. What Out ports does it have? Any pics?

ZAMAR23, I PM'd you about the volume regulator. Feel free to get back with me if I can help any.

Sorry I took so long to get back, it's usually late when I get to the forum.......:tux:

Bill

The Fortec Star Mercury II has a manual audio offset that can be set per channel. Push the "Audio" twice to get the menu. I've ordered the Minicom before I found this feature.

It occurred to me that some might be interested in "why" this is happening, even if I don't have any good ideas of "how" to fix it. At least this is my basic understanding of "why" this issue exists.

The main problem here is nonexistent except in the rare case of the hobbyist (us!) who notice it. Since most of what is being broadcast over "FTA" satellites is intended not necessarily for end consumers but for redistributors such as cable TV systems and the like, the volume level of the individual station doesn't matter that much. It's something the engineer at the receiving end adjusts once, to match the levels they are providing for the rest of their channels. Or at least they should be doing that. It stands to reason also that the sources of these channels should have a "standard" that they adhere to and some of them are probably way off.

Now if you are paying a subscription to somebody and their various channels aren't around the same volume ranges, you definitely need to complain to them about it. Since they are providing a package of channels to their subscribers, they should adjust all of them to have the same video and audio levels so that the subscriber doesn't have to adjust their equipment to compensate.

Hobbyists like us who are just pulling in random different channels from unrelated sources just have to live with it, or experiment with any of the suggestions offered by previous and future posts.

Within given channels, I understand that advertising providers (or maybe it is the content providers) purposely mess with the audio in an attempt to get the viewers attention.

This problem happens on OTA and subscription channels too, IMO.

Regardless, in many cases there is little to no equalization...

Volume Regulators PDFs

Ok guys, here's two volume regulators that was found. I did a PDF on these products. I reckon there may be others available.
Special thanks to FTABman0 for his review of one regulator and Dishdigger for directing me to where he got his.
I haven't made up my mind on which one I will order. Dishdigger stands with the Terk brand regulator.
Thanks Quapoharry for telling me about FTABman0's review!
I hope this info help others.

Attachments

• Volume Regulators.pdf
    90.4 KB · Views: 297
MrFTAman, I enjoyed the report on the regulators, I think the reporter was in favor of the COM800. It sounds like a great rig, wouldn't mind it myself. The Terk was the first one I'd seen (just happened to spot it in an ad from the MCM folks), so went with that. However, after reading the review, I think I'm satisfied with the Terk. You just connect and use, I'm not dissatisfied with the performance, but there is no additional adjustments one can make if not satisfied.

I guess it boils down to what you want. I usually go with all the "bells & whistles" in equipment, so once again, I say I wouldn't mind the COM800. There wouldn't be any problem with connecting an equalizer with the Terk, but, even as ticky as I am about audio, I haven't seen the need to add eq to the mix.

Thanks again for bringing the review....:up.................Bill

I think, such Automatic Level Control would make more sense if integrated with an A/V Receiver or Media Server. Otherwise one would need several such peaces to hook one to each receiver.

I am considering the Terk, since it is easy to install. I may come by your house one day to see your Terk, Dishdigger. Thanks for telling me about it!

Posted by MrFTAman:

"I am considering the Terk, since it is easy to install. I may come by your house one day to see your Terk, Dishdigger. Thanks for telling me about it! Yesterday 10:18 PM"

No problem, you know where the place is. Don't expect anything earth-shattering. It's connected to the DN receiver (new one on the way, I don't know what kind of connections/options it will have - so may go to the FTA :confused:) and I only use it when running the surround sound system (in stereo, of course -- 5.1 not available), but have been satisfied. The television has a built-in volume regulator, so really don't need it there.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)