Von Weise Motor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
One of the two spare Von Weise dish movers I have developed a problem some time back when I tried to use it on that Unimesh dish. It was REAL slow and was making some noise I hadn't heard when I went through it a few years back?

Fast forward to today and I got that thing out, connected it up to the Vbox and ran it again and again it was REAL noisy. Hummm, didn't sound like a bearing and I know it wasn't making ANY noise like that when I went through it so on a long shot I pulled the motor apart and here is a picture of what I found, which I had suspected was wrong with it BTW.

I've got an idea about fixing this but I'm interested in hearing what others might have done that was successful for this type of repair?

Attachments

• vweisemotor.jpg
    vweisemotor.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 330
The visible bearing and pinion gear look fine. If the hidden bearing (or bushing) is okay, it should be salvageable.

A good brushing of the rotor and stator should silence the scraping noise of rust-on-rust.

production of von weise motors has all been moved to other countries The laninating machnew I service use von weise

Wow. I never seen that one before. I think the hard part will be to determine where the magnets belong, so the timing of the motor commutator is correct. I suppose some good epoxy might hold them.

Delam of the Permanent magnets from the case. Seen that only once before many years ago.
I would use the glue used to glue the chevy(and probably others as well) door hinges onto the body pillars.
Think there's an equivalent made that may be available at Lowes or Menards or similar. It's formulated for metal to metal, or metal to other(FG, wood, some plastics)
(If I could remember the product name I'd put it here. Might be a 3M product????)
If unable to locate product above, JB Weld ????
Should be marks left behind where the magnets were. Place marks on the edge of the case????
Clean up the surfaces with steel wool for a good 'bite'.

Yeah there's some left over cement inside the housing that I can go by to put the magnets back in. Just a question of what to use and BTW, I've seen this before on another "spare parts only" Von Weise I have and also on an electric water pump on my race engine.

Probably be a few days before I attempt that "re-glue" so Phat if you can come up with a name for that stuff you're talking about lemmie know and I'll look into it.

Might try some "Yellow Death",the old 3M auto trim adhesive.Seems that stuff would stick anything together and never come apart,and if you got it on your fingers it won't come off till death :biggrin.

3M™ Structural Adhesive, 08101 May be the one I'm thinking of. And IIRR, was a little thinner than JB Weld. (makes for a thinner layer between the parts 'glued' together - may there be a issue with clearance??) Price? I dunno. But don't think you'd need 4 oz. (2, 2oz tubes)
JB Weld probably is just a good at 'holding' and comes in more appropriate quantity.

Well, after reading the comments here and thinking a bit I decided to try something off the wall. I've done all my auto repair forever and also build my own racing engines and transmissions and I've used different kinds of RTV over the years. When I overhauled the trannny in my Geo last year I got some of that gray stuff that's suppose to be a gasket maker and having used that stuff I've found it's tough as nails and twice as sticky.

Having said that, those magnets are re-glued inside that motor housing with that stuff right now and after I let it setup for another day or so I'm going to give it a try since I got nothing to loose but time and I already had the RTV in the tool box.

This dish mover will wind up on that 10.5ft Raydx dish I picked up a couple of weeks ago so it will be getting a workout soon since that dish is now on the temp mount and waiting for cooler weather before I do any testing with it.

Here's a pic of what that motor housing looks like now.

Attachments

• vweisemotor2.jpg
    vweisemotor2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 234
UPDATE: Put that motor together yesterday evening and it works like a charm!! Quite as t church mouse now. I spent about 20 minutes running it back and forth and it seems to be a keeper at this point. Of course time will tell whether those magnets stay in place or not but having used that RTV on other things and having to drive a screw driver between parts to break that seal I'm fairly confident it will work.

Your second pic sure looks better than the first... No wonder it made noise though!
That white stuff looks like the goop I often use here too... on anything from lawn mowers to Freightliners...
SHould work fine as long as you leave it cure for long enough.

Yeah Cham, I let it setup for 24 hours before I put it back together. Like I said though I got nothing to loose but time spent fixing it. Hopefully it will work for a long time.

Yeah Cham, I let it setup for 24 hours before I put it back together. Like I said though I got nothing to loose but time spent fixing it. Hopefully it will work for a long time.

Lone Gunman, how did that RTV glue work out? Did it last long enough to make it worth while?

I have two Von Weise actuators and one has the arm rusted together so bad that you can't get to the pin to remove the arm and the other has loose magnets. So I was going to change the motor housing and the other one has loose magnets too. Between the two I could get one going if the glue will hold.

It's a bad time for my actuator to go out, the acme nut stripped. I've looked for acme nuts with no luck. It's a smaller Von Weise, one of the newer models I believe and the others are older with a fatter arm so I can't slip an arm on the motor that works. Just paid the real estate taxes, Christmas and am having surgery in early January so I was looking forward to some good TV. I'm not going to be doing much of anything for 6-8 weeks. I used a clamp to lock it on SES 1.

Also, I haven't kept up with the industry like I used to so if I buy an actuator what do you recommend? A big Von Weise is $300 and money isn't the issue though I'd like to get a good one for as little as possible. If I have to pay $300, so be it, that's cheap for what we get and I don't want to be changing it in 1.5 years you know. I spotted a Perfect 10 10 footer a while back and am going to go see if they want rid of it. I hope it's still there, I should've stopped the day I saw it. With just a little luck I can get it and with a little more luck it may have a working actuator.

Lone Gunman, how did that RTV glue work out? Did it last long enough to make it worth while?

I have two Von Weise actuators and one has the arm rusted together so bad that you can't get to the pin to remove the arm and the other has loose magnets. So I was going to change the motor housing and the other one has loose magnets too. Between the two I could get one going if the glue will hold.

It's a bad time for my actuator to go out, the acme nut stripped. I've looked for acme nuts with no luck. It's a smaller Von Weise, one of the newer models I believe and the others are older with a fatter arm so I can't slip an arm on the motor that works. Just paid the real estate taxes, Christmas and am having surgery in early January so I was looking forward to some good TV. I'm not going to be doing much of anything for 6-8 weeks. I used a clamp to lock it on SES 1.

Also, I haven't kept up with the industry like I used to so if I buy an actuator what do you recommend? A big Von Weise is $300 and money isn't the issue though I'd like to get a good one for as little as possible. If I have to pay $300, so be it, that's cheap for what we get and I don't want to be changing it in 1.5 years you know. I spotted a Perfect 10 10 footer a while back and am going to go see if they want rid of it. I hope it's still there, I should've stopped the day I saw it. With just a little luck I can get it and with a little more luck it may have a working actuator.
Hi yankee495. Von-wiese sells the plastic acme nuts on their website. Just confirm you have the same model. Von-Wiese, Venture, & Thomson still make and sell quality actuators. A ball screw version isnt cheap but will last a long time.

Yahkee that RTVd one is still mounted on my Raydx dish and working every day! Just remember though that "your mileage may vary":oldwink!

Thank you both and over a year is good enough for me if my mileage is as good as yours. And thanks Beavs, I'll look into a good actuator but right now I just want it going. I also don't want it stopping after surgery so I may just squeeze out the cash to fix it right. It's shoulder surgery, everything is ok, torn tendon, torn rotator cuff and a giant bone spur that caused it. Surgery can't be as bad as it is now so I'm looking forward to that, just not the long healing process. I was over at Von Weise and there is nothing under Acme Nuts so I'll email them. Thanks again guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)