Von Weise Motor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've called Von Weiss in the past and they seemed to have everything (ordered some sensors). Web pages are often out of date... best to call and spend the dime.

RE: Acme Nut...........Looking back I'm surprised they sell them as a stand alone piece since cutting and welding is required to replace them? I'd have thought they would consider that a non-serviceable item and require you to purchase that whole inner tube instead?

I used brass nuts on mine because of the price, and they might last longer than the plastic ones. I do remember that the vendor I got the brass ones from had a minimum $$ order and I got 3 of them because of that. I wound up using all 3, used 2 and sold one.

Here's a link to that nut replacement thread I started on a drag racing forum back in 2010, which means that the one I replaced on my Winegard dish has been in service for 5+ years now.

http://motorsportsvillage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7705

There's also a thread here on Sat Guys on this same topic, if you can figure out how to get this funky search function to find it. It was brought up recently but I can't remember which thread that link is in.

Woohoo Lone Gunman! It works! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for inspiring me to glue it! I'm a nut and bolt type of guy, don't want it falling apart you know but this called for glue and what you used may not be the best for the job, but it is high temp, rigid enough and worked great for me too.

Mine also had a locked bearing (end of motor shaft) from being wet and a lot of gunk in it from a basement flood. Oh man did it look bad, total trash. But, scrub scrub scrub and scrub some more and soak that bearing with WD-40 good, over and over and over. Work it slow with your fingers greasy, not with pliers to force it. Let it work loose and it may be salvageable.

I finally got it all going and oh no, my Gbox has 4 connectors and the Von Weise has 5 wires. For the optical sensor it has Orange +, Brown sensor out (count) and gray ground, then motor positive and negative.

So here is how to hook up a 5 wire Von Weise with Orange (positive), Brown (sensor out), gray (ground) and motor 1 and 2 to a Gbox with only four connectors, sensor+, sensor- and m1 & m2 (motor 1 and 2). I put the brown to sensor positive (Gbox) and gray to sensor negative (Gbox).

I used a Motorola 5v 550ma phone charger to power the optical sensor by hooking the +5 to the orange positive and -5 to the gray ground.

So on the Gbox:
Brown=Sensor+
Gray=Sensor- & -5 from the power supply.

Then put +5 on the orange wire and use the gray for ground of the power supply, what ever you use. It counts and seems to be ok returning to whatever satellite you select after programming in a few. I unhooked the +5 and it gives me an E-2 (error) so it must need that 5 volts. I hope that helps someone and there is another thread where a guy couldn't get his working. I think the he must have had a bad sensor or never tried applying +5 to the orange positive wire (he did talk about it). I posted this info in his thread too.

DO NOT HOOK THE ORANGE WIRE TO THE 36v POSITIVE MOTOR CONNECTOR, it'll burn out your sensor!
I just had a thought. I wonder if putting the orange and brown to sensor+ would work? I don't know if the Gobx sensor + supplies any voltage.
I'll check.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)