VOOM and OTA reception in Cleveland, OH

Was able to restore ch19 yesterday(such as it is) by simply repositioning antenna cable up on roof. I had previously draped lead-ins on bracket mounting bolts which apparently degraded the signal. Just let them hang again, and presto, signal came back. Go figure---I am using all RG6 shielded cable so cannot figure out why---

the techs came out yesterday and repositioned my antenna (it's a winegard)...all my local channels are coming in (except 68, which is to be expected b/c i'm out of their coverage area)...i called VOOM b/c the channel map on one of my boxes is messed up (showing bravo hd on 261 and saying i need to upgrade my sub on 262 when i have vavavoom)...VOOM tech support said it's something with my box and it needs to be swapped out...

so now i'm getting all the locals...woohoo!

Glad to hear your good news dlayphoto. Wish it was as simple for me. I have been fighting with ch19 for approx 3 years now, and am still experimenting and trying new things. Oh well, maybe someday I'll hit on the right combination. Enjoy.

dlayphoto said:
the channel map on one of my boxes is messed up (showing bravo hd on 261 and saying i need to upgrade my sub on 262 when i have vavavoom)...VOOM tech support said it's something with my box and it needs to be swapped out...
Mapping problems on channels 204, 206, 226, 229, 261, 262, 301, or 305 are often caused by incorrect wiring or bad LNB. This is a polarity issue (see here for details). Swapping the box most likely won't make any difference.

okay guys, new voom sub. here i have dish now, and will be getting voom on the 20th, I live in mogadore ohio about 30 miles south of cleveland, and I am scared to death that I am not going to get my locals with ota, please help me and fill me in if there is anyone in the green mogadore akron area, again, locals are verrrry importantto the wife, so I hope this works out if not I would hate to stick with dish networlk and little hd

stuart628, welcome to the forum!
First of all, check www.antennaweb.org for your street address. It will tell you which digital stations you should be able to receive, what kind of antenna you might need and in which direction it should be pointing to. How far are you from Canton? You might be able to get Canton stations as well.

Ilya said:
stuart628, welcome to the forum!
First of all, check www.antennaweb.org for your street address. It will tell you which digital stations you should be able to receive, what kind of antenna you might need and in which direction it should be pointing to. How far are you from Canton? You might be able to get Canton stations as well.
thank you, unfortunately I canceled voom the installer called and said I would not be able to get my locals in hd, so I dont even know if I am going to stick with dish with no ota options, looks like I might be headed back to time warner, oh well they have on demand, I wish it would have worked out, but once piece of info voom did tell me, is that the csr said hopefully beginning in oct. (new sat?) they are going to start broadcasting locals over the dish, but then his supervisior pulled him off the phone and came back on and said he was sorry but that it took dish 10 years for locals he couldnt promise anything so there ya go. thanks again for everything sad I couldnt work it out with voom.

stuart628 said:
thank you, unfortunately I canceled voom the installer called and said I would not be able to get my locals in hd
Did you check the Antennaweb.org? What does it say?
I don't think the installer is correct. Even if you can't get Cleveland, you are close enough to Canton and should be able to get their stations. They do have HD in Canton (e.g. NBC).

What's your satellite signal strength?

I am getting Voom installed as we speak and the best we can get is around 50 and the programming is not kicking in - Thanks

rhk,

if the dish sees the satellite without any obstruction, the installer should be able to peak it at 90+. Where are you located?

rhk said:
I am getting Voom installed as we speak and the best we can get is around 50 and the programming is not kicking in - Thanks
Assuming you have version 5.68 or above, signal 50 is no good.

now with the new software upgrade i'm getting the cbs outta Toledo...3 channels: 1 HD, 1 SD, and a radar feed... =)

signal strength is also better with the new version... =) =)

Voom up an running in Stow, Ohio - OTA good so far

After receiving the software upgrade I am getting a 97 on the satellite signal. The receivers came with 5.08. I have a couple on monster UHF and VHF antennas in the attic and I am receiving all of the Cleveland stations with a minimum 88 signal strength. I had a Dish6000 before and the OTA was much worse with the Dish6000 - lots of break up on channel 3.

Now I am have noticed channel 43 breaking up - with either the Dish6000 or Voom receiver. Is anyone else experiencing problems with 43? It used to be one of the most reliable stations.

Also, has anyone heard an update on Fox Ohio Sportsnet on Voom?

Thanks

rhk,
Welcome aboard!
I don't watch OTA too often, but I did notice occasional problems with 43.
By the way can you get Canton stations?

Fox Ohio Sportsnet is already listed in the on-line program guide, but is still not available yet. I can't wait! I haven't watched a single Indians game since I dropped cable. Really hope we'll have this channel before the baseball season is over.

No Canton Reception Here

I have my antennas pointed at Cleveland and they are stationary in the attic. I would expect that I could get them if they were outside with a rotor.

RHK

I am also getting considerable breakup lately on 43. This channel had previously been very stable.

I am in Erie PA and on good days I can get 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 8-1 5-1 . I mean the VOOM receiver locked in on those channels. 5-1 WEWS seems to be the strongest and most stable. Does anyone know if the Cleveland stations are currently operating at full power on digitals?

Don't really know about who if anyone is at full power. Do know that ch 19(CBS) is weakest. Was having some break-up on 3(NBC) last night while trying to watch the movie filmed in Cleveland. That is rare. 43 is not all that strong either it seems. Goes in and out for me, but I never watch it anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I think 43 is have some problems- I called and left a message with the engineer but have no response.

Well.. is anyone else experiencing reception issues with Channel 3-1 WKYC. I get NO signal...then at 1pm today I get the beginning of the Opening of the Olympics then the picture starts to break -up then goes off and it hasnt been on since. There are days the signal will be perfect for hours. I have the Stealthtenna, and all my other channels CBS, ABC, etc. have strengths of 98-99 but when NBC IS ON.. it is around 85.... I live in Brunswick so well within 12 miles of all the digital towers.

It is me? or is NBC digital here in Cleveland funky for others?

Any similar experience?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)