Voom Installed Today

TYORK said:
eric,
You can have them try 2 things here adjust you antenna more to the 119* Orientation or you can put a dc block inline to block the power to the antenna,
I can just tell you that the job that Dragon keep talking about that is way i was there for so long it was doing the same thing but the antenna was to stong and i ended up putting a Channel Master 3016 with no amp and it worked fine and my customer was about the same distance from the tower as you are.

tyork

Now you're beginning to talk Greek to me Tyork,... no Klingon! LOL. I think I'll start with calling VoOm tomorrow. It is nice to know though that I'm not expecting too much to have more than three OTA stations for my location.

ericpd said:
Now you're beginning to talk Greek to me Tyork,... no Klingon! LOL. I think I'll start with calling VoOm tomorrow. It is nice to know though that I'm not expecting too much to have more than three OTA stations for my location.

sorry eric,
yeah call voom you should be getting more that what you are getting.

t

Waiting for my installer.. :p I keep looking out the window trying to get a glimps of the truck :shocked :shocked .. Will they install the upgrade antenna for a newbie??

Arlo

Arlo_gut said:
Waiting for my installer.. :p I keep looking out the window trying to get a glimps of the truck :shocked :shocked .. Will they install the upgrade antenna for a newbie??

Arlo
Unless you had something pre-arranged I would assume they'll try the basic antenna first. Possibly don't even have an upgrade with them.

Good luck. Hope everything goes smoothly for ya. :D

Arlo_gut said:

Arlo

you have to call them a ask they will tell you on the phone most of the time

t

TYORK said:
sorry eric,
yeah call voom you should be getting more that what you are getting.

t

No need for an apology t, it was my attempt at humor. Since you saw a need to apologize, I guess it was a feable attempt at best. My apologies.

Just got off the phone with VoOm, They walked me through a re-scanning process, then schedule another visit for Friday noon. That's between the hours of 12:00 noon and 5:00 p.m. Dragon. LOL!

Man, I am loving this. Figured out this morning how to make HD channels not make folks look super thin on the other two TV's. Quit simply really. I just set the 'wide to narrow' option to Crop. Only downside is you miss a lot on the edges. I'll experiment with Letterbox today and see what I like most. But the Mit is cruzin along real nicely.

Good to hear that you got installed Eric. Stick with it. I had some installation and box problems but Voom was willing to resolve everything for me.

Thank you, Ilya!

Ilya said:
This is not a chat room! There are rules here. Some of these rules are very simple and straightforward, like Stay on topic! Do not allow personal attacks...
So, can we all please focus on the topic of the thread! Thanks! ;)

When trying to quickly scan through all the threads it is a pain in the butt to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

However, still enjoying HDTV under partly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

i will have to say that i am sorry to all of you but i did have to defend myself from dragon He seem to have something to say about all of my post in the last couple of week not sure why but he is always trying to make me look bad and i will not have it

so i will say i am sorry to all of the other members

tyork

A little off topic I know but I thought this might help everyone.

You know how like when you call the phone company to have service turned on or whatever... And you get a call or a survey asking about the rep who took "care of you"?

Why don't you the installers put Satelliteguys.us on your business card and the tell them to log on and post their comments about their installer? That way we can learn about the various installers and the companies that they work for, and learn which ones to stay away from, and etc...

i leave this web site with all my customer that i install in case they have problem and maybe i can help them with out having to wait for a service call.

t

Installer comments and information

Admins would need to create a section dedicated to (Installer Survey or whatever one might decide to call it!)

Sounds like a good idea ?
Make a post and add who will go for this ! etc

I for one wished I would have spent more time in this thread before my initial install visit. I honestly feel I would have been a better position to manage my frustrations and filter out much of DataLinks crap and sophistry. But it was a learning experience if nothing else. Now when the installer returns Friday, I know what to expect.

Speaking of Friday's visit, can someone describe to me what the upgrade antenea looks like and what it's called? I understand there are two upgrade antenea, one that looks like a basket and one that's not amplified. Thanks

Eric,
It really depend on what the installer in your area buys for a upgraded antenna, cause what happens is we go out and buy what we know will work in the area that we work and then call voom and tell them make and model and cost and than they approve it and then we just bill them back for the antenna.

t

Install went great was done in less than an hour all receiveres are working great.. I can't get past RAVE .. I Love My VOOM

Arlo

ericpd...TYORK is exactly right on the antenna answer...it has nothing to do with what is "shipped" to an installer. The only things that are "shipped" to them is the STB and the dish, whether it's 18" or 24" or larger. The installer determines, recommends, and buys the OTA locally.

This is not something that is easily extracted from these posts, but I finally got confirmation of that from all sources...VoOm, Installs, Inc., and my local last "good guy" installer.

The OTA antenna success issue has far more to do with the knowledge and experience and motives of your individual installer...in their individual areas...than with other factors that can come into play, like weather, etc. So don't let anyone sell you on the idea that the OTA is the piece of sh*t that they are required to work with. It's based on their abilitity and experience, and that will vary from installer to installer.

That's why the ethics, ability, and dedication to their craft earns the respect and appreciation that people like TYORK have garnered here from people who have been around long enough to learn how to separate the "wheat from the chaff" as Gill so succinctly put it!

My Cliff Notes version (and I'm NOT noted for brevity!) is that if an installer spends more time telling you how good they are or how hard they work for their money, than they do in giving you suggestions or trying to solve the problem...then it's probably chaff...blow it off and demand that VoOm send a "wheat" installer!! :D

Installers who wish to accept the assignments, but don't wish to put forth the effort to achieve success (when a failed attempt will likely garner them more money via a "de-install" plus a "referral" from whatever company they can switch the "de-installee" to)...will continue to try to line their own pockets, at our expense. It's easy to blame someone else if your "target audience" isn't fully knowledgeable.

Sorry for the "mini-sermon", but that's what happens when I turn to real life for too long and then try to catch up with trolls. :)

Glad to hear that it sounds like you're getting things under control, and also glad to hear that you had good luck, Arlo_gut :clap @party

Congrats Arlo! Sounds like yours went smoothly from the jump. I envy you! I'm sure you won't regret puttin' VoOm on the other side of your HD screen. I haven't. But believe me, I find myself standing in front of my mit with remote in hand and justa scratching my head from time to time, but these folks in here have a way of clearing things up. Amazing! And because of that, my biggest frustration now is getting the DirecTV channel map out of my head and re-learning where VoOm has put everything. Sorta like the frustration I feel after my wife cleans the house,... I can't find nothin' any more! Congress needs to hold a meeting and establish some standards here,... so that Sci-Fi is always on channel 244, Spike is always on channel 325, CNN is always on channel 202 and so on. No folks I'm just kidding. I should have VoOm's channel map down in a week or so!

I hear ya Vicki. I just hope I get a installer as good or better than the one that got me on-line. I asked the question because T had made mention of amplified antenea may be too strong for my location. But you're right if he/she is as good as T then they will bring what's needed. End of story!

Vicki said:
ericpd...TYORK is exactly right on the antenna answer...it has nothing to do with what is "shipped" to an installer. The only things that are "shipped" to them is the STB and the dish, whether it's 18" or 24" or larger. The installer determines, recommends, and buys the OTA locally.

This is not something that is easily extracted from these posts, but I finally got confirmation of that from all sources...VoOm, Installs, Inc., and my local last "good guy" installer.

The OTA antenna success issue has far more to do with the knowledge and experience and motives of your individual installer...in their individual areas...than with other factors that can come into play, like weather, etc. So don't let anyone sell you on the idea that the OTA is the piece of sh*t that they are required to work with. It's based on their abilitity and experience, and that will vary from installer to installer.

That's why the ethics, ability, and dedication to their craft earns the respect and appreciation that people like TYORK have garnered here from people who have been around long enough to learn how to separate the "wheat from the chaff" as Gill so succinctly put it!

My Cliff Notes version (and I'm NOT noted for brevity!) is that if an installer spends more time telling you how good they are or how hard they work for their money, than they do in giving you suggestions or trying to solve the problem...then it's probably chaff...blow it off and demand that VoOm send a "wheat" installer!! :D

Installers who wish to accept the assignments, but don't wish to put forth the effort to achieve success (when a failed attempt will likely garner them more money via a "de-install" plus a "referral" from whatever company they can switch the "de-installee" to)...will continue to try to line their own pockets, at our expense. It's easy to blame someone else if your "target audience" isn't fully knowledgeable.

Sorry for the "mini-sermon", but that's what happens when I turn to real life for too long and then try to catch up with trolls. :)

Glad to hear that it sounds like you're getting things under control, and also glad to hear that you had good luck, Arlo_gut :clap @party
If the installer does not do the job correctly to your satisfaction call VOOM, they will call Installs Inc. and fine the installer. This is the only way VOOM wil not get ripped off. I had an OTA problem recently, I requested my original installer Team One, but Installs sent someone else. He did not resolve the issue of me not getting FOX and lost PAX in the process. He said he was not going to try any longer because all he gets is $35 for the job. A call to VOOM, they confeenced me in with Installs Inc. he got fined and I got Team One who got FOX and PAX back for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)