VOOM: Promo Gone! New Prices...

Me too. I project that Voom will start having a net loss of customers with this pricing scheme. More people leaving then becoming new customers. I think the rest of us should expect that the PVR price (inital and monthly) will be pretty hefty too.

How many subscriberrs do they have now? If this promotion hasnt brought in a large number of subs, our ship may be sinking. Cablevision has limited the spending as well.

Ouch!! That's gonna be close to $70.00 for just the basic package after taxes in the areas where they charge tax if you lease the box. Add 200.00 for the install and that's a hefty amount of money. Dtv still going strong at 39/mo +tax and free install. You can even get it down to 29/mo and a free premium pack for a few months if you threaten to cancel.

Personally if I didn't have voom already I wouldn't get it at this price.

I am glad I canceled Playboy when I did.

Now if you make any changes to your account your prices go up to the new prices.

Sorry VOOM as much as I like your service I am NOT paying the new rates. On 12/31 I may be canceling my service, unless your DVR is really really good. Other then that I can't see paying that much for service.

What's the matter with you people? The VaVaVoom package is increasing a measly 10 bucks and VOOM is adding channels left and right. You people think they're able to add all the new channels for free? Geez.

rcmojo said:
What's the matter with you people? The VaVaVoom package is increasing a measly 10 bucks and VOOM is adding channels left and right. You people think they're able to add all the new channels for free? Geez.
I agree with this statement. But, I think voom should have kept the no money down offer and continued with the zero installation. I expect that the prices will go up because of the ch's that they are adding. I wouldnt have VOOM if it wasnt for the zero install offer that they had. I expect that that offer will be back at some time, but also expect that their mthly rates will rise. They cant keep on adding ch's without raising rates.

rcmojo said:

The problem is when you say it's just a measly 10 bucks. At some point the little measly 10 bucks starts adding up. Imagine if everything you pay monthly for went up just a measly 10 bucks. BTW, the basic package went up 10 bucks too. So what happens if in another two months it goes up 10 bucks again? it's just a measly 10 bucks of course....

Services like this have to find a magic number where the perceived value is equal to or greater than the actual cost. I don't know if this is it, but for me personally I wouldn't pay almost 70/mo + 199 for install (and this is just what the basic package comes out to more or less). I'm paying almost 60/mo for it right now and it's borderline.

Well, I'll definitely be evaluating things come 1/1/05.

If D* has some new HD channels, I might be getting an HDTivo and jumping ship. Or I might subscribe to the Dish HD package ala carte.

As for new customers - that's a HORRIBLE deal. There's NO WAY I would have given Voom a chance had it not been for $0 down, $0 install.

deArgila said:
Well, I'll definitely be evaluating things come 1/1/05.

If D* has some new HD channels, I might be getting an HDTivo and jumping ship. Or I might subscribe to the Dish HD package ala carte.

As for new customers - that's a HORRIBLE deal. There's NO WAY I would have given Voom a chance had it not been for $0 down, $0 install.
Listen, I hear you I have D* and the HD package from them. If you want to call it that. I gotta say I do love VOOM. Get the DVR out with good pricing. As for the HD Tivo. I ain't spending a grand on a box that might still have problems. I also have the DirecTivo so I know what I am talking about.

lostcause said:
The problem is when you say it's just a measly 10 bucks. At some point the little measly 10 bucks starts adding up. Imagine if everything you pay monthly for went up just a measly 10 bucks. BTW, the basic package went up 10 bucks too. So what happens if in another two months it goes up 10 bucks again? it's just a measly 10 bucks of course....

Services like this have to find a magic number where the perceived value is equal to or greater than the actual cost. I don't know if this is it, but for me personally I wouldn't pay almost 70/mo + 199 for install (and this is just what the basic package comes out to more or less). I'm paying almost 60/mo for it right now and it's borderline.

Well, of course we could play the "imagine if" scenario all day. If VOOM were to raise the vava voom package another $10 in the very near future, that would be a deal killer for quite a few customers, maybe including myself. I'm only saying that a $10 increase does not bother me considering the new channels they have added and expect to add in the coming months. And I also believe the zero install will rear it's head in some other form within the next 30 days. It's all a marketing strategy - you have to set a deadline to entice people to sign-up. You can only extend that deadline so many times before prospective customers start to think that they can wait to sign up at a later date because that "zero install" deal will still be there. Rest assured that the marketing folks at VOOM already have a "new" deal waiting in the wings. Who knows, maybe we'll see a $99 install with 1 free month of vava VOOM which is pretty much the same deal money-wise as the zero install. Of course, this is pure speculation on my point but surely VOOM is in the business of adding subs.

patrickpiteo said:
Listen, I hear you I have D* and the HD package from them. If you want to call it that. I gotta say I do love VOOM. Get the DVR out with good pricing. As for the HD Tivo. I ain't spending a grand on a box that might still have problems. I also have the DirecTivo so I know what I am talking about.

Yeah - the Voom HD-DVR will essentially make my decision for me (assuming D* adds TNT-HD, BravoHD+, etc).

I've begun to realize that not all DVR's are created equally. But, yeah, $1K will pay for a lot of price increases!

deArgila said:
Yeah - the Voom HD-DVR will essentially make my decision for me (assuming D* adds TNT-HD, BravoHD+, etc).

I've begun to realize that not all DVR's are created equally. But, yeah, $1K will pay for a lot of price increases!
Listen I love my DirecTiVo. That is why I still have it. On the other hand how can you justify spending $1,000.00 on a box that the service only has very little HD channels on. Plus I have read where there are some people that are having problems with them. Sorry but I can wait and see what shales out on the landscape this time...

Before when people asked me if they should try voom I'd say "well they have some startup problems and they're missing some channels, but you care mostly about hdtv and just want lots of hd channels, what the heck, give it a try." with this new deal, I'm not going to recommend voom anymore. I would say go with D*, get the $99 and 1 yr commit. At least at the end of one year, you OWN the box that will at least do OTA even if you ditch D*. You can even resell the box. And the new box they have is a whole lot nicer than the voom box.

Comcast in Atlanta now has 13 HD channels. Service is not great in some areas from what I hear, but for $5 more a month I'm keeping my eye on them if Voom skyrockets. PLUS they have their DVR, which I understands does HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)