VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

I am now the proud owner of a Motorola DSR-550. The remote is not here yet but I hooked it up anyway. When I turn it on I get the voom screen that has the preview channel and the favorites listed below. I try to go to all HD channels and I get a signal error saying no signal received on satellite channel 105. can I scan the channels without the remote?

Pretty sure you do need the remote. Where do you live? Have you done antennaweb.net for list of local stations? What did you pay for the voom? I hope it was not new in box! How was remote missed? What local antenna are you using?

Pretty sure you do need the remote. Where do you live? Have you done antennaweb.net for list of local stations? What did you pay for the voom? I hope it was not new in box! How was remote missed? What local antenna are you using?

Thanks for the response. I paid $50. The Ebay seller finally got me the remote. I have figured out how to scan and I have several stations. Is there an easy way to remove all the channels that do not have any signal. I have tons of channels that I have to skip throught to get to the working channels.

Thanks for the response. I paid $50. The Ebay seller finally got me the remote. I have figured out how to scan and I have several stations. Is there an easy way to remove all the channels that do not have any signal. I have tons of channels that I have to skip throught to get to the working channels.

You need to "Hide" the channels that you don't want to view -- Within the settings there is a local channels tab -- I'm not at home so i can't be specific --- But you have the option to hide channels that way you only see the channels that work for you ----

anntena

Terk HDTVo from Amazon works great in my case. After connecting to Power Injector, I can get all the channels (all UHF/VHF). I don't need to set the power on and still can see all the channels. However, if without power injecter, I can not see a thing.

You need to "Hide" the channels that you don't want to view -- Within the settings there is a local channels tab -- I'm not at home so i can't be specific --- But you have the option to hide channels that way you only see the channels that work for you ----

TO HIDE A CHANNEL:

press VOOM, press light green button ( 2nd from right circle color buttons), arrow up or down to LOCAL CHANNELS, press OK. Now arrow uo, down, left, right, or PAGE down to the channel, press OK and "hide" will appear. Pressing OK again removes "hide". Only works for channels under 100, not cable channels, you must just avoid these.When done with all channels, press WATCH, then go to a channel to view.

Hi new here I bought 2 dsr 550's on ebay both worked. Un fortunately I believe I disabled one when I went to verify VOOM. The box now says it is not authorized.
Before I screwed up both boxes were outputing composit and svhs . I bought the boxes hoping to use them with my Apple Cinema displays. I can not get a signal.
I have two adapters for the displays Dr Bott Dviator and Gefen repeater Both work with all my computer DVI outputs But nothing happens when I connect to the Voom DVI I also tried RGB to vga to a standard veiwsonic monitor no go . Help

Hi new here I bought 2 dsr 550's on ebay both worked. Un fortunately I believe I disabled one when I went to verify VOOM. The box now says it is not authorized.
Before I screwed up both boxes were outputing composit and svhs . I bought the boxes hoping to use them with my Apple Cinema displays. I can not get a signal.
I have two adapters for the displays Dr Bott Dviator and Gefen repeater Both work with all my computer DVI outputs But nothing happens when I connect to the Voom DVI I also tried RGB to vga to a standard veiwsonic monitor no go . Help

Did you actually get ota television displayed at one time with an antenna? Did both boxes come from same seller? What steps did you do to "verify voom"? Does one still work? I guess that you have powered off as a test?

Yes I got OTA to work with a plain jane antenna, I have powered on and off many time without issue, I did have the problem you descibe one time, I unpluged for 1/2 hour, and pulled out an reseated the card in the front. Works again no problem?

Good Luck.

where is the best place to get a DSR 550 nowadays? I just bought an LCD and i wanna use it in my bedroom for OTA HD content.

Hi - just got a voom reciecer, but can't seem to find an option to scan for ota channels - is there anything i can do?

thanks

bob :(

Hit the Voom button then hit the green button twice. I think this takes you to the settings page. The scan for locals is one of your choices. Let me know if this helps.

Scan for locals is not available - through other web searches, it looks like the software version on my box does not support this. Has anyone fogured out how to upgrade the software on a voom box?

Thanks

Bob

you cant do nothing with a voom box, unless you had it acitvated when they turned it off, i have 3 of them and they still work well with the locals

Yes, it sounds like the software on this box is prior to the upgrade allowing OTA searching. As previously stated many times in this forum, "you have a fancy doorstop." I have 2 boxes that continue to work well. If you purchased it on Ebay, return it to the seller for credit. If seller does not cooperate, and you paid with Paypal, open a dispute and they will handle it.

looks lik my software veRsion is 5.08 am i out of luck?
I am afraid you are. Version 5.08 is the original version and it does not support channel scanning. No way to upgrade. Get another box.

Hi Everyone. Does anybody know if there's a way to actually punch in a local digital channel that isn't a "point one" channel?

Like 17.2

If I enter 17, it naturally gives me ch. 17.1

But can I go directly to 17.2 somehow? Can I enter that on the keypad somehow?

Thanks