waffling

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sansha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I'm considering an FTA systemand waffling between a coolsat 8100 motorized system that would give me HD, PVR, and multiple sats that I really prefer, and the supposedly simple-to-install glorystar system which would get my feet wet and let me know if I could even see the two main FTA sats without great expense. Does anyone have any advice?

I am in the same boat, but it looks like I am going to be moving in the coming months so I am going to hold off on my purchase for a while. To be honest, I am just going to dive-in since I figure that I will be changing receivers and other accessories more often than I change my underwear. If I don't like it, I'll give it away to someone who can use it.

personally i would go the easiest and cheaper way, the Glorystar system cause after you get this hooked up you will probably add seperate motorized system for you :D right now theres not a lot of HD fta just a couple of full time channels and some wild feeds (and this is growing) that pop in plus this will give the FTA market time to catch up and prove out some of those HD receivers plus in the waiting another receiver might show up that handles 4:2:2 :) JMO

Last edited:
I would recommend getting a receiver with blind scan. A fixed dish setup is ok if you are looking for specific channels on a specific bird, but I would strongly suggest getting a motor. The dish should be as big as you can get or have room for. The main determination for a lot of people is the shipping cost for the dish as there is a cutoff point (I think 76 lbs) that makes shipping expensive. Have you already done your site survey ? Thought about your cable runs, grounding, etc? I am happy with the Coolsat 5000, Invacom qh-031 and an 85cm Patriot dish. I would like to have a HD receiver as well but for now the current offerings are all lacking some feature that I want.

sadoun has an excellent starter package at $213usd thats a great deal, gets you the ird, dish, motor, lnb everything you need. imo I would spend the $20 more and upgrade to a 90cm (36") dish though, it'll help with those weaker signals. if your interested in a little fancier ird, spend the $20 more and get the mercury II, Ive got it and its a really nice ird.

I'm considering an FTA system and waffling between a coolsat 8100 motorized system that would give me HD, PVR, and multiple sats that I really prefer, and the supposedly simple-to-install glorystar system which would get my feet wet and let me know if I could even see the two main FTA sats without great expense. Does anyone have any advice?

Well, the final decision is yours, but just to discuss the problem, let me offer some thoughts.
... consider this like playing Devil's Advocate . . .

1) installing your first fixed-dish is a pain
2) installing your first motor is a much bigger pain
3) HD is on locals, PBS , and feeds - which is of more immediate interest?
4) is there any chance you'd like a 2nd receiver, without all the bells 'n whistles?
5) any family limitations on putting up multiple Ku dishes? :rolleyes:
6) any chance you could get away with a C-band dish? :eek:
7) how are finances for these toys? (don't answer, just think about it)
8) how are your mechanical/tool skills? ( - " - )
9) do you lose interest if things don't go well? ( - " - ) I know I do. :(

You could get the 8100 and motor (but read below anyway)
You could get a Glorystar system with two LNBs (the Mercury II is nice)
- maybe just get the stock system and be done with it (?)

Or , maybe think about this idea . . .
Put off the 8100 and see what comes out later.
Get the GS package, but maybe substitute the QPH-031 LNB . . .
- it'll get circular
- it'll let you run two or more receivers
Set up your dish, receiver, and LNB on one busy satellite
- get experience running the receiver
- get experience finding satellites and aligning your dish
- after a week or two, try another satellite
Try a number of satellites and pick the ones you like best.
- if many, decide if a motor is in your future,
- if few, maybe consider multiple dishes/LNBs.
If you still decide on a motor, go for it.
You can add the fancy receiver later, and using the QPH-031, both receivers will connect and allow independent reception (on a given satellite).

Hopefully, others will add to these ideas, or shoot holes in 'em.
Either way, you win. :)

edit: oh, it took me so long to compose this, there are plenty of good ideas above!

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a HD receiver until the Passion has its NA debut and people find out what its really all about. $400+ is a lot of money for just the receiver, and therefore it would pay to see how things play out. HD is still in its infancy :)

If you REALLY want HD capability, you could go with a GOOD standard definition receiver (such as the Fortec Mercury II, Coolsat 5000, or Pansat 3500) and purchase an inexpensive (sub $50) PCI-DVB card to install in your computer. You would use the receiver to scan and find the feeds, and the PCI-DVB card to view and, if you desire, save them to your hard drive :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.